Finn Hammer (72)
Blue Adept (43)
Nickel (68)

Next birthdays
05/18 AlexRU73 (39)
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

pics of blown Electronics.

Move Thread LAN_403
Neil
Fri Nov 28 2008, 11:19AM
Neil Registered Member #1458 Joined: Wed Apr 30 2008, 09:47AM
Tom540 wrote ...

Neil wrote ...

aonomus wrote ...

Did you ever solve your capacitor problem or was your project a big bust Neil?

I decided to not risk wrecking the rest of the case from another cap exploding, I was lucky it was only the end piece of plastic, a few hrs and some plastic and it should fix up fine. Instead, I ordered the real deal from general atomics energy products (once maxwel I believe). A big pulse cap, 11kv at 525 uF, 125,000 amp rating. It just came into Australia this week after patiently waiting for the last 14 or so weeks for it to be made, should have it on my doorstep in this comming week. 100 kg of capacitor, very excited cheesey.

Just curious, How much was it? General Atomics is right next door from where I work. I was thinking of getting a few things from them but everything looks so expensive so I never got any quotes.

It was $9,913 USD which was about $12,000 AUD for me with the exchange rate at the time. If you buy 4 or more, this price just about halves. Unfortunately for me, it was another $3,800 AUD to import it and pay frieght, tax etc on it so I just bought one. They seem very easy to deal with and I had no problems importing it for anyone else considering something like that.
Kizmo
Fri Nov 28 2008, 07:17PM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
Link2
Link2

ZVS Explosion :)

sounded like .22 shot and pieces of mosfet casing were flying around my room
Chris Cristini
Fri Nov 28 2008, 09:55PM
Chris Cristini Registered Member #1749 Joined: Fri Oct 10 2008, 02:04AM
nice u know how i feel. amazed
Turkey9
Sat Nov 29 2008, 06:05AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
I was playing with a half bridge and thought that a couple 35v tantalums would probably work with a 33v non regulated supply..... small sizzling sound accompanied by a small plume of smoke.... turned off power, didn't find anything obviously wrong, and decided to fire it back up!!! sizzling sound again, and then a stream of sparks and fire shot by my face (which was about 4 inches from the caps....)!!!! hehehe wish i could've got a picture of that!
aonomus
Sat Nov 29 2008, 07:21AM
aonomus Registered Member #1497 Joined: Thu May 22 2008, 05:24AM
Tantalums are like miniature hand grenades. They don't like overvoltage or reverse bias, infact, they hate it.
Tom540
Sat Nov 29 2008, 07:29PM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
Neil wrote ...

Tom540 wrote ...

Neil wrote ...

aonomus wrote ...

Did you ever solve your capacitor problem or was your project a big bust Neil?

I decided to not risk wrecking the rest of the case from another cap exploding, I was lucky it was only the end piece of plastic, a few hrs and some plastic and it should fix up fine. Instead, I ordered the real deal from general atomics energy products (once maxwel I believe). A big pulse cap, 11kv at 525 uF, 125,000 amp rating. It just came into Australia this week after patiently waiting for the last 14 or so weeks for it to be made, should have it on my doorstep in this comming week. 100 kg of capacitor, very excited cheesey.

Just curious, How much was it? General Atomics is right next door from where I work. I was thinking of getting a few things from them but everything looks so expensive so I never got any quotes.

It was $9,913 USD which was about $12,000 AUD for me with the exchange rate at the time. If you buy 4 or more, this price just about halves. Unfortunately for me, it was another $3,800 AUD to import it and pay frieght, tax etc on it so I just bought one. They seem very easy to deal with and I had no problems importing it for anyone else considering something like that.

suprised 9,913 holy shit! I knew they were expensive. Was that one of their standard caps or custom?
jovica
Sat Nov 29 2008, 09:25PM
jovica Registered Member #1790 Joined: Fri Oct 31 2008, 10:10AM
Tom540 wrote ...

suprised 9,913 holy shit! I knew they were expensive. Was that one of their standard caps or custom?

I think they were custom made as he says.

' It just came into Australia this week after patiently waiting for the last 14 or so weeks for it to be made. '

Im not sure but if they were standard caps i dont think you would need to wait for them to be manufactured.
rp181
Sat Nov 29 2008, 09:44PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
nope, not custom, part number 33943.
These are big expensive products, it makes no sense to have them in stock. How many people but these? when these are usually bought, its larger quantity (like the navy's rail gun, they used capacitors from this company). Stock would just age them.
Chris Cristini
Wed Dec 03 2008, 05:38PM
Chris Cristini Registered Member #1749 Joined: Fri Oct 10 2008, 02:04AM
11kv at 525 uF, 125,000 amp rating. That's a huge cap certain death wow.
rp181
Wed Dec 03 2008, 09:42PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
not certain death, just hope it blasts your arm off first =/

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: