Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

PLL SSTC with Type 2 phase comparator problems (added some info)

1 2 3 4
Move Thread LAN_403
RayeR
Thu Sept 19 2013, 11:25AM
RayeR Registered Member #333 Joined: Mon Mar 20 2006, 06:02PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

Yes, I believe Steve Ward and Phillip Slawinski's latest driver is a digital PLL running on some sort of fast microcontroller, and a few people are working on FPGA-based drivers at the moment.

A MCU has too much latency to run anything but a PLL, but a FPGA can emulate a traditional feedback driver too, possibly using digital filters for phase lead.

Yeah, I already seen in another thread that they made some FPGA PLL design with fast ADC. I think FPGAs are very well suited for this purpose but they are still a bit blackbox for me. I would rather use some DSP which also have quite low latency and high throughput (due to multiple buses and special instructiuon) but they are expansive. But now there are many low cost and fast enough ARM MCUs that maybe also could handle it. So maybe for som future project...
Goodchild
Thu Sept 19 2013, 03:17PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
The cool thing about FPGAs is that they are not as much of a black box as you may thing! I learned VHDL in about a month not spending a whole lot of time. The thing that makes FPGA based design much better than MCU is not only the speed (100MHz+) but the parallel processing capability.

Let’s say you had an MCU that reads an ADC and then updates a timer based on that info, this may take many clocks (hundreds even) because the MCU can only do one thing at a time. First it would read the ADC then it would update the timer with a lot of little steps in between. With the FPGA this whole operation could be done potential in one clock cycle if coded correctly. On top of this it could also be doing several other things at the same time, like receiving serial data, all without impacting any other part of the device.

If anything I would say it simply takes a shift in thinking from traditional MCUs to program any kind of programmable logic. Although the code is c-like it functions a lot differently due to the parallel operation.

My FPGA based control uses a pipe line ADC running at the same speed as the FPGA. Basically every clock (100MHz) the ADC clocks 10 bits of data into the FPGA via a parallel pipeline interafce. One clock later the output changes as a direct result. That’s roughly a 20nS response time to any change in conduction. This is as fast as most analog units doing the same thing.
RayeR
Fri Sept 20 2013, 10:46AM
RayeR Registered Member #333 Joined: Mon Mar 20 2006, 06:02PM
Goodchild wrote ...

The cool thing about FPGAs is that they are not as much of a black box as you may thing! I learned VHDL in about a month not spending a whole lot of time. The thing that makes FPGA based design much better than MCU is not only the speed (100MHz+) but the parallel processing capability...

Yes. I didn't express well. The principles of FPGA, PLD, PLA... are known to me a quite long (I met them on university a little bit). I understand what advantages/disadvantages over MCU it has, you're right. But mostly I have a problem with thinking in parallel programming and VHDL. And there are some cathes like e.g. signal propagation issue in long counter structure and other limitations that don't exist in MCU world (MCU's has surely its different cathes :). Also I didn't saw there would be available some simple lightweight opensource/free developing environment like equivalent of GNU GCC tool chain that is widely spreaded over MCUs. I only saw that manufacturers are giving some demoversion of their bloatware limited to small designs. I also never physically programmed the FPGA and don't know what kind of programmer I need. I like e.g. programming of Atmel AVR MCUs because I just need 5 wires from my parallel port to do SPI programming.
Yeah I admit that's all due to my laziness but I didn't get the right motivation to study and use FPGAs more at work or elsewhere yet, and free time is very limited as I'm working now...
 1 2 3 4

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: