All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Sigma delta modulated QCW- bang without the buck?

1 2 3 4
Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Ward
Tue Jan 10 2012, 05:07AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
I think the control scheme worked to keep the ramp the same until the DC bus cap "ran out" at which point the RF current suddenly collapsed. With the extra capacitance this wouldn't happen, but I think the streamer had reached its final length before even the small capacitor ran out of charge.

Well, it would be useful to know how much real power the bridge delivers throughout your bang. I recently started messing with my QCW system and found a tuning that actually limited the power of the system quite a bit, where the primary current actually went down with increasing drive voltage! I suppose it might be possible, with current regulation, that your pulse skipper starts jumping more pulses and makes the effective voltage lower, hence the sparks dont grow any longer... maybe? The nature of your control makes it somewhat difficult to know what the real power is, since you have to average all the driving cycles vs recycling cycles to know what the actual power factor is.

Lucky for me and my bus modulation scheme, i can assume my power factor is unity (zero current switching, V and I are in phase) and just look at the volts and amps going to the DRSSTC bus. Of course, im currently investigating other techniques to get rid of the bus modulation, namely class DE switching applied to a phase-shifted bridge. Initially this might look a bit lousy since my existing QCW system needs to modulate the voltage from 50V to 350V. More investigation of the behavior of a double resonant transformer shows there are in fact 3 modes that can give zero current switching: the upper and lower poles*, and a zero frequency somewhere in between**. When operating at the zero, the voltage gain is simply due to the transformer ratio of the system, where as when you operate at either pole, the voltage gain is limited by output loading, so the voltage will just keep going as high as the spark lets it. Anyway, operating at the zero gives a more direct control of the toroid voltage and the whole thing acts like a voltage source. I measured a 5 foot straight spark and found that i need a starting voltage of 56kV and a top voltage of 65kV, so only about 15% modulation depth, which suggests to me that class DE switching is probably not a bad candidate. Of course the control may end up quite a bit more sophisticated.

* in my typical primary feedback schemes, the system will jump to one of these pole frequencies because they satisfy the zero phase requirement for ZCS. Depending on the tuning, one pole frequency gets more energy in it than the other and takes over once this dynamic settles out.

** It takes proper control to get the thing to oscillate at the zero frequency because there is not much gain there compared to the pole frequencies. Its worth noting that a system oscillating at pole frequency will actually converge to the zero frequency as the Q of the system drops sufficiently, and the system effectively looks like a voltage source. I believe my original QCW setup transitions from upper pole operation to zero operation, which is marked by a sharp increase in primary current (vs voltage) near the end of my ramp, that is, the power goes up more than linearly. It also causes my sparks to branch. Tests with a lower impedance resonator avoided this issue, likely because the lower impedance resonator maintains operation at the pole frequency.

Id like to write up a paper about all this QCW DRSSTC theory once i get it all worked out on my own. Turns out there are very many ways to tune a system, including some that are actually intentionally out of tune to exploit specific behaviors.
Goodchild
Tue Jan 10 2012, 03:10PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
Steve Ward wrote ...

I think the control scheme worked to keep the ramp the same until the DC bus cap "ran out" at which point the RF current suddenly collapsed. With the extra capacitance this wouldn't happen, but I think the streamer had reached its final length before even the small capacitor ran out of charge.

Well, it would be useful to know how much real power the bridge delivers throughout your bang. I recently started messing with my QCW system and found a tuning that actually limited the power of the system quite a bit, where the primary current actually went down with increasing drive voltage! I suppose it might be possible, with current regulation, that your pulse skipper starts jumping more pulses and makes the effective voltage lower, hence the sparks dont grow any longer... maybe? The nature of your control makes it somewhat difficult to know what the real power is, since you have to average all the driving cycles vs recycling cycles to know what the actual power factor is.

Lucky for me and my bus modulation scheme, i can assume my power factor is unity (zero current switching, V and I are in phase) and just look at the volts and amps going to the DRSSTC bus. Of course, im currently investigating other techniques to get rid of the bus modulation, namely class DE switching applied to a phase-shifted bridge. Initially this might look a bit lousy since my existing QCW system needs to modulate the voltage from 50V to 350V. More investigation of the behavior of a double resonant transformer shows there are in fact 3 modes that can give zero current switching: the upper and lower poles*, and a zero frequency somewhere in between**. When operating at the zero, the voltage gain is simply due to the transformer ratio of the system, where as when you operate at either pole, the voltage gain is limited by output loading, so the voltage will just keep going as high as the spark lets it. Anyway, operating at the zero gives a more direct control of the toroid voltage and the whole thing acts like a voltage source. I measured a 5 foot straight spark and found that i need a starting voltage of 56kV and a top voltage of 65kV, so only about 15% modulation depth, which suggests to me that class DE switching is probably not a bad candidate. Of course the control may end up quite a bit more sophisticated.

* in my typical primary feedback schemes, the system will jump to one of these pole frequencies because they satisfy the zero phase requirement for ZCS. Depending on the tuning, one pole frequency gets more energy in it than the other and takes over once this dynamic settles out.

** It takes proper control to get the thing to oscillate at the zero frequency because there is not much gain there compared to the pole frequencies. Its worth noting that a system oscillating at pole frequency will actually converge to the zero frequency as the Q of the system drops sufficiently, and the system effectively looks like a voltage source. I believe my original QCW setup transitions from upper pole operation to zero operation, which is marked by a sharp increase in primary current (vs voltage) near the end of my ramp, that is, the power goes up more than linearly. It also causes my sparks to branch. Tests with a lower impedance resonator avoided this issue, likely because the lower impedance resonator maintains operation at the pole frequency.

Id like to write up a paper about all this QCW DRSSTC theory once i get it all worked out on my own. Turns out there are very many ways to tune a system, including some that are actually intentionally out of tune to exploit specific behaviors.

Interesting you are trying class DE, I did a lot of simulation on DE a while back don't see any reason it won't work other than you kinda have to use MOSFETs in order for it to actually ZVS. but with some nice large MOSFETs this may not be a problem. A phase shifted bridge also "should" be more efficient than the buck/ZCS setup.

Steve did you ever nail down the spark model for the QCW? If I'm remembering right you said you had to modify it somewhat to get the same primary current profile. I ask because I have a working working DE model, just never had a proper QCW model to test it on.
Steve Ward
Wed Jan 11 2012, 05:02PM
For a spark model, i found that using a ~20k resistor in series with a 36kV TVS diode (a diode with a forward and reverse voltage of 36kV for example) works pretty good... it at least gets me in the ballpark. These values were just guesses and dont handle the capacitive aspect of the streamer so i cant say its perfect, but its pretty reasonable i think. Really, the model should be more frequency dependent, so maybe a parallel capacitance with the zener would work ok. I havent tried it yet since the capacitance ought to be varying with streamer length and its somewhat confusing how much capacitance should actually be there.
teravolt
Wed Jan 11 2012, 07:57PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
I dont know if this a stupid question or not when there is frequency splitting is it so that the upper pole is voltage or inductivly dominant and the lower current or capacitivly dominant? does the the spark behave differently when ever you use the lower pole or the upper pole?
Steve Conner
Wed Jan 11 2012, 10:56PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Steve, are you saying you actually found a practical use for the zero in a Tesla coil transfer function? :O

Antonio suggested driving it years ago, but I wasn't interested because it's a kind of anti-resonance so you can't lock a PLL to it. I thought the gain of it was literally zero in the steady state, not the transformer ratio.

I agree with everything else in your post. Under heavy loading the system doesn't have two resonant frequencies any more, just a hump like a bandpass filter. Radio design handbooks show how to make double-tuned RF transformers (radio ham's name for a DRSSTC :) ) and there is a critical coupling coefficient, a function of the loaded Q, that defines the boundary between double humped and single humped responses. I can't remember the formula right now.
Steve Ward
Thu Jan 12 2012, 10:10PM
When you drive a DRSSTC at its zero frequency, the inverter output voltage is in phase with the secondary output voltage, so the whole thing looks like a *stiff* voltage source and the secondary is parallel resonant. With infinite Q on primary and secondary, the primary current settles out to zero once you get the secondary voltage up to its maximum (hence making this mode hard to achieve with current-feedback based switching). As the Q is lowered, the inverter has to deliver whatever power necessary to maintain the same secondary voltage. Though i have this nagging feeling that im forgetting about something bad that happens when the thing goes out of tune from streamers... i think its possible for the zero to disappear (as in, you cant operate there without hard switching) because not all the reactances cancel out perfectly anymore, thus the load appears capacitive.

This makes me think of another idea i wanted to try, you can think of it as the reverse of the SSTC. Consider how on a SSTC you have minimal energy storage in the primary capacitance (the DC blocker cap), and so we claim its a single-resonant system (damn near most of the energy is stored in the secondary). Well, you can achieve a very similar thing by using a tuned primary and an "untuned" secondary, basically by making the secondary capacitance *too small* for resonance. This gives a similar "voltage source" like behavior since the secondary voltage is more in-phase with the inverter output voltage (well the secondary C makes for some phase error here). Its basically a resonant primary with a "step up transformer" rather than a "tesla coil". Putting most of the energy storage in the primary side lets it have more control over the operating frequency (good for when the sparks hit ground), and also allows for a much tinier secondary since its not storing much energy. Its feasible, i think, to make something like a 2 inch long winding for a secondary (likely under oil) that does 60 inch sparks (in air). I still need to work on this idea some more to figure out if its a dead end or not... lets just say im not completely sold on needing double resonance :P.
 1 2 3 4

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: