Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
05/09 AmonRa (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

PLL SSTC with Type 2 phase comparator problems (added some info)

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Conner
Tue Sept 10 2013, 02:42PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yes, that's it exactly! smile If you want to use a second-order loop in an ordinary PLL application, you have to insert a zero in the loop filter to get any phase margin whatsoever. Otherwise you have two integrators in the feedback loop and a phase margin of 0.

I haven't done an analog PLL in a while, but recently I did a few second-order digital ones with IIR loop filters. I think of the loop filter as a PI controller, where the P term provides the zero for stability.

These arguments about poles and zeros only hold when the circuit is running in its linear region, but the process by which the PLL gets into lock in the first place is highly nonlinear. So the second-order loop has more finicky capture behaviour that can include conditional stability. Again not relevant to Tesla coil applications because the loop is never "out of lock" in the sense that an ordinary PLL can get out of lock. The two frequencies going into the phase detector are always the same, so it can always produce a non-zero output on average.
Dr. Dark Current
Tue Sept 10 2013, 05:38PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Guys, I have found the problem, but still not sure how to cure it.

The IC is not really faulty, it is just more complex than it seemed at first.
My problem is not the noise. It is the fact, that the Phase Comparator 2 has a "memory" which is 2 cycles, or 720 degrees "long". The 74HC4046 datasheet (which is not really the same IC, but the principle is the same) tells us, that the demodulated output voltage when using the PC2 depends on a phase difference of the signals from -360 to +360 degrees.

So what happens when there is a missing pulse on the input? The input signal phase has changed by 360 degrees. The input and VCO signals are still in phase, but the Phase Comparator sees this as a 360 degree shift and tries to correct it by actually delaying or advancing the VCO output by + or - 360 degrees (depends on where exactly the next pulse after the missing one comes). However, because the Tesla Coil system doesn't allow such a large phase shift within the VCO frequency range, the PLL will never lock the phase again unless the input is disrupted once more (for example by resetting the supply voltage). In an open-loop system such as an FM demodulation, this is not a problem, because the VCO output and PC input signals are not frequency-linked.

As for the different behavior of another IC manufacturer... Either that IC is somewhat damaged (as I have tried 3 more manufacturers and all behave exactly the same as the TI one), or it has different architecture which causes additional problems.

P.S. The missing pulse was just an example, during a ground spark there may be several missing, distorted, or wrong-frequency pulses. But if the signals (after the resonance is possible again) catch up with the wrong phase (+- 360 degrees), there the problem comes.
Steve Conner
Tue Sept 10 2013, 07:16PM
Sounds like another vote for PC1 with an external integrator! smile
Dr. Dark Current
Tue Sept 10 2013, 07:44PM
Well, it seems I'l really have to leave this phase comparator alone, it doesn't look suitable to use in closed loop systems...

As for the PC1 with integrator: There are 2 possible problems - noise getting into the op amp and weak signal on the shunt capacitor. That's why I was trying to avoid this solution... The 4046 IC itself is pretty well immune to interference, I could run the coil with the cover of the driver off (for measurement purposes) and it ran just fine.
Steve Conner
Tue Sept 10 2013, 07:53PM
I've built about 8 or 9 drivers using PC1 with an integrator. It works fine for me! smile

I didn't even bother trying PC2 because connecting a sensitive edge-triggered state machine to a Tesla coil looked like a really bad idea.

In a previous design I used a shunt capacitor on the CT. It worked great until I used it to drive a series resonant induction heater with feedback from the inverter output current. The RF current was too much for the capacitor and it exploded.
Dr. Dark Current
Tue Sept 10 2013, 09:36PM
Haha cheesey
Steve, do you use an inverting amplifier after the integrator in the PLL filter? Or does it work to swap the PC inputs?
Steve Conner
Wed Sept 11 2013, 08:02AM
This is the circuit I've been using since about 2005. Link2 It uses an inverting amplifier in the loop.

I don't think you can swap the phase comparator inputs, because only one of the inputs has the amplifier and self-bias circuit. I use that to take the signal from the CT directly.
Dr. Dark Current
Wed Sept 11 2013, 08:53AM
OK, thanks smile
RayeR
Thu Sept 12 2013, 01:53PM
RayeR Registered Member #333 Joined: Mon Mar 20 2006, 06:02PM
Very interesting thread about PLL. About 10 years ago I was started to design my 1st PLL controller for DR-SSTC. That times was PLL usage very rare, most of coilers used just simple pickup antenna.
I had spent many hours playing with 74HC4046 and trying all 3 comparators. I found that PC1 worked best for me, Also maybe I failed with PC2 was due to noise because I started on universal board without shielding and then found how it is sensitive to RFI when power goes up...
Also I was messing with various phase shift issues. One thing I tried to add additional 90deg phase shift was connecting 2 PLLs in cascade with PC1 to get 90+90 but later I found I don't need this when using pickup antenna... I can see Steve is doing this by running 2f0 with divider. Probably better choice as it holds 90deg in whole range. I also found interesting the idea of integrator in the filter, maybe I'll try this in some new design but have much less time than before...
BTW did someone tried to implement fully digital PLL in some fast ARM MCU or FPGA logic?
Steve Conner
Thu Sept 12 2013, 03:58PM
Yes, I believe Steve Ward and Phillip Slawinski's latest driver is a digital PLL running on some sort of fast microcontroller, and a few people are working on FPGA-based drivers at the moment.

A MCU has too much latency to run anything but a PLL, but a FPGA can emulate a traditional feedback driver too, possibly using digital filters for phase lead.

I stayed with my old driver because it worked fine and I couldn't be bothered designing a new one. smile I've nearly run out of PCBs though so maybe it is time to try something new.
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: