Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
AlexRU73 (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Triggered spark gaps

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
The Wumpus
Tue Mar 28 2006, 08:11PM
The Wumpus Registered Member #325 Joined: Fri Mar 17 2006, 12:42AM
joe doh wrote ...

I think the americium 241 would ionise the air in the gap, the radiation just does not pass through glass, so no wonder it doesn't work with neon bulbs. I don't see how this would help you though, you would just have to increase the gap distance, or is that what you want?

Increasing the gap to get a longer spark should provide a bit more light. I am a bit reluctant to just up the voltage because of all the insulation and corona issues--and working with these things in cramped conditions does not help either. I will try the americium 241 as soon as I have scrambled together a couple of old fire detectors.
Tesladownunder
Mon Apr 24 2006, 06:43PM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
I too have a Nikon D70S, High power flash tube, capacitors coming out of my ears and a box full of apples.

...just need to get me a gun.

Peter
The Wumpus
Mon Apr 24 2006, 07:28PM
Tesladownunder wrote ...

I too have a Nikon D70S, High power flash tube, capacitors coming out of my ears and a box full of apples.

...just need to get me a gun.

Peter

A decently high powered railgun or coilgun ought to do as well cheesey
johnf
Wed Apr 26 2006, 07:25AM
johnf Registered Member #230 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:01PM
Okay
I'm not trying to dispell great thinking but taking apart smoke detectors to get at the Am ionisation source is not legal. It purposley protected and while in its protection is exempt IAEA regulations.
People in the USA can and will be prosecuted if found to be tampering with these units. A warning of how quick things get out of control was on the home fuser net recently.

but you can improve your gap with out the radioactive souce by making all the electrodes sharp to enhance field emission. The best materials for the sparkgap are high melting point metals such as Tantalum or Tungsten - with sharp edges. Of course multiple edges are best. Remember that your anode terminal will erode the fastest and does not require the sharp edges as you have to enhance electron flow from the cathodes and these will not erode as quickly. shades

The Wumpus
Thu Apr 27 2006, 08:58PM
johnf wrote ...

Okay
I'm not trying to dispell great thinking but taking apart smoke detectors to get at the Am ionisation source is not legal. It purposley protected and while in its protection is exempt IAEA regulations.
People in the USA can and will be prosecuted if found to be tampering with these units. A warning of how quick things get out of control was on the home fuser net recently.

Thanks for the advice, but considering how often these are disposed of in the garbage, I couldn't take such law seriously. At least not as long as smoking is allowed. Now how many people get cancer from taking apart their fire detectors each year---or maybe they don't because it's illegal mistrust Hopefully the law enforcement in my country don't put smoke-detector-opening hobbyists high on their wanted lists. cheesey

johnf wrote ...

but you can improve your gap with out the radioactive souce by making all the electrodes sharp to enhance field emission. The best materials for the sparkgap are high melting point metals such as Tantalum or Tungsten - with sharp edges. Of course multiple edges are best. Remember that your anode terminal will erode the fastest and does not require the sharp edges as you have to enhance electron flow from the cathodes and these will not erode as quickly. shades

I haven't had much luck with sharp edges in spark gaps because of corona issues. Agreed on the excellence of materials such as Tungsten for this purpose, too bad it's not possible to machine these very hard materials at home with common tools. Brass will have to do for now.
Self Defenestrate
Fri Apr 28 2006, 03:38AM
Self Defenestrate Registered Member #87 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 01:36PM
I have some 1/8 inch tungsten, and I could make a pair of 'trodes. I am an ultra skilled dremel master, with such an assortement of bits, I need an excuse to wear them out. If 1/8 dia. is good, I'll donate 1/2 inch length to the cause, so two 1/4 inch long electrodes that can be clamped, with any sort of tip you want. I'm really liking that photography. As for your americium ideas, I have yet to try placing it near a gap, but it should work in air. Perhaps the reason it didn't help for the neon bulbs is the alpha rad. couldn't get through the glass. I wouldn't worry too much about the feds knocking on your door for taking apart a smoke detector, just like you don't get ticketed for j-walking...
Extreme Electronics
Fri Apr 28 2006, 06:56PM
Extreme Electronics Registered Member #74 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:17AM
Excelent photos...

Our local university have a triggered spark gap. The main gap is made from two hemispheres of what looks like polished steel (stainless?) . The trigger gap is a much smaller sphere about 1/2" from one of the other electrodes.

The main gap is around 30mm wide and has about 25Kv across it, the trigger is a large strobe trigger transformer, giving a short pulse of around 4Kv.

I would stick with hemispheres rather than having pont's as the points will have to take the whole force of the breakdown and will wear and they wont have as higher hold off voltage.

the trigger makes the "spike" of ionised air to one hemesphere to lower the holdoff voltage and arc across the gap.

Derek
The Wumpus
Fri Apr 28 2006, 08:27PM
Do you happen to know about the polarities, is the trigger closer to the + or - side of the gap, and is the trigger pulse negative or positive? From what I've gathered from different sources, the best configuration is generally considered to be having the trigger close to the positive side of the gap and giving it a positive pulse. This presumably gives the most reliable triggering and least jitter (ref: Link2 ), I don't really know why, though.

I also believe it is wise to stay with convex shaped electrodes, spark gaps with sharp points don't seem to work well in practice.
Extreme Electronics
Fri Apr 28 2006, 09:08PM
Extreme Electronics Registered Member #74 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:17AM
No, I have no ides about the polarities..

My understanding is that the pulse should be in the same polarity as the field between the two electrodes,effectivly 'warping' the field to cause breakdown.

Of course with a cap discharge through an ignition coil, you get a large swing one way followed by a slightly smaller reverse one, so it probably dosen't matter. Plus once you have a cloud of ioised air from a discharge that cloud is conductive itself.
The Wumpus
Sat Apr 29 2006, 10:36AM
Self_Defenestrate wrote ...

I have some 1/8 inch tungsten, and I could make a pair of 'trodes. I am an ultra skilled dremel master, with such an assortement of bits, I need an excuse to wear them out. If 1/8 dia. is good, I'll donate 1/2 inch length to the cause, so two 1/4 inch long electrodes that can be clamped, with any sort of tip you want. I'm really liking that photography. As for your americium ideas, I have yet to try placing it near a gap, but it should work in air. Perhaps the reason it didn't help for the neon bulbs is the alpha rad. couldn't get through the glass. I wouldn't worry too much about the feds knocking on your door for taking apart a smoke detector, just like you don't get ticketed for j-walking...

Thanks for the offer, I already obtained some broken glass drill bits (tungten carbide) which I may use. What's the best procedure for grinding them with a dremel, just using the regular cutting disks and lots of patience, or something else? Diamond?

For ionizing gas inside a glass vessel from the outside, the alpha rad cannot be used. Alpha particles only travel a few centimeters in open air and are stopped by a thin paper. However, the gamma rad could possibly be used, but I think it is too low power from those small Am buttons.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: