ramses (16)
Arcstarter (31)
Zak (15)

Next birthdays
05/12 Colin 99 (53)
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

At the assembly stage. Looking for feedback (no pun intended)

Move Thread LAN_403
crashstudio
Thu Jun 11 2015, 03:00AM
crashstudio Registered Member #54484 Joined: Sun Feb 15 2015, 06:18PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) wrote ...

Why so much primary?

You should have 5-10 turns of primary and that's it.
Find the resonant freq. of your system at turn 5-7, and adjust your secondary accordingly.

Remember, every excess inch of primary, AND HOOKUP is LOSS.

I followed the same design specs as many others with my power supply and TeslaMap has the primary at 82.9uH tapped at turn 14 -15
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Fri Jun 12 2015, 01:00AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
I used to follow what everyone else said too, until I realized I could get better results by leading in my own way and doing my own thing.

After this base is done, I will match the secondary to the primary, "by working backward", I get better performance that way.

Matt
017f
crashstudio
Fri Jun 12 2015, 04:00AM

I used to follow what everyone else said too, until I realized I could get better results by leading in my own way and doing my own thing.

After this base is done, I will match the secondary to the primary, "by working backward", I get better performance that way.

Matt
017f

Well I "learn" backwards. I always start at the top and work my way down. Been learning like this sense I was a kid. Now I want to learn about Tesla Coils so I'm building one and will learn the rest as I go. I'm very intrigued by your design. I'm trying to understand how the inductance and resonance will work with so little turns and so much spacing. I would really appreciate if you could explain, it will help me learn. I for one have never been much for following anyone's lead either unless it was necessary so, like you, I will eventually break off into my own designs.
Also the caps you're concerned about are 2100v microwave oven caps and it's just the A/C conditioner for the low voltage side of the NST. TeslaMap suggests 166uF for PFC and those 2 in parallel read 165uF on my meter.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Fri Jun 12 2015, 04:14AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
The little red caps on your filter are rated for 2100V? Wow!

With the spacing, the tank inductance will work just fine. It's the combination of L and C, as you already know, that does the trick.
I've got it all matched for the 15/60 NST, I just have to figure out what the Fo is. If it's real low because Lpri is low, I can offset that with Ctopload to lower the Lsec resonance point.

The main goal is always energy transfer. This system should store about 2 Joules of energy, which is pretty decent, and should give me a 5 foot spark.
The large spacing should help to not over-couple the secondary and still produce a fairly strong field that envelops the bottom portion of the secondary. Also with heavy connections, I will avoid a lot of loss. Any wire I have to use is 10 AWG silver teflon wire, which is more like rope!

You can't see it in this photo, but this is the first coil with a hairpin tuner. The travel is only about 20", but that should be enough to give me what I need for fine tuning without the high losses of a tap and tap lead.
crashstudio
Sat Jun 13 2015, 04:37PM

The little red caps on your filter are rated for 2100V? Wow!

I thought you were referring to the PFC caps in the ac conditioning circuit. The caps on the terry filter are 0.0033uF 1600V Metal Polypropylene
and here is the rest...
(2) 100 watt 1K ohm Dale resistors
(16) MOV's 1800V (Metal Oxide Varistor)
(12) 10M Ohm 1/2 Watt 5% Resistors

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: