Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Novel flying machines

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Conundrum
Sat May 03 2014, 06:42PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Are we allowed to mention LENR on here, given that NASA have had verifiable positive results with the terahertz driven nickel lattice?

Albeit very low (3* heat gain) and needing hundreds of Watts input as both heat and THz radiation generated by a highly inefficient third harmonic process.

EDIT:- Also adding idea about using a hybrid of supercapacitor and low rate Li-Po as these can handle much more power.
Slow charge the supercap via Li-Pos and discharge through a feedback driven ZVS into the motor to ensure constant current
and have an array of these charging and discharging to allow constant motor drive.

-A
Patrick
Sat May 03 2014, 07:33PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Conundrum wrote ...

Are we allowed to mention LENR on here, given that NASA have had verifiable positive results with the terahertz driven nickel lattice?

Albeit very low (3* heat gain) and needing hundreds of Watts input as both heat and THz radiation generated by a highly inefficient third harmonic process.

EDIT:- Also adding idea about using a hybrid of supercapacitor and low rate Li-Po as these can handle much more power.
Slow charge the supercap via Li-Pos and discharge through a feedback driven ZVS into the motor to ensure constant current
and have an array of these charging and discharging to allow constant motor drive.

-A
it would all have to fit on a 1.5kg machine, with those parts adding 500g or less, (2kg AUW). Otherwise I think IC engines win.

Note : the evolution .91nx is 570g. 1400 watts/2Hp extract-able power.

But that fuel cell still ticks me off, with all there dam graphs , showing it better than lipo.
Conundrum
Sat May 03 2014, 08:50PM
I always wondered why fuel cells are so inefficient, do they recombine non electrically like LEDs?
ie produce heat instead of EMF?
It occurs to me that if I was to scratch build an ultra lightweight SOFC and run it at pulsed high temperature, for the short times it was cooling down the efficiency gain would offset the thermal cycling effects.
Ash Small
Sat May 03 2014, 08:53PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
As previously mentioned, a larger, slower turning prop is 'always' more efficient, so decide on maximum permissible diameter, and work from there.

I think you only need two servo's to drive a swash plate. I'll try and find time to sketch something.
Patrick
Sat May 03 2014, 08:57PM
Conundrum wrote ...

I always wondered why fuel cells are so inefficient, do they recombine non electrically like LEDs?
ie produce heat instead of EMF?
It occurs to me that if I was to scratch build an ultra lightweight SOFC and run it at pulsed high temperature, for the short times it was cooling down the efficiency gain would offset the thermal cycling effects.

Not sure if pulsing is the solution, but in 10 to 20 years PEMs will be useless in high power applications. Rendered obsolete by Chinese domination of precious and rare-earth metals, SOFC however have been and will continue to improve faster then the PEMs.

10 to 12 inches seems to be the max rotating diameter for a practical machine you can get in and out of a car. This is why a tend to favor 3 blades over 2.
Carbon_Rod
Sun May 04 2014, 01:47AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
@Ash Small
In theory the fuel is quite viable:
Link2

@Conundrum
Solid chemical fuel cells have been used in military equipment for decades, as in their inert form have a practically indefinite shelf life. There were civilian transport applications proposed, but were unsuccessful for numerous reasons.

@BigBad
However, FAA regulations limit electric motor driven craft to under 6kW IIRC, but Policy 8130(H) may simply make them illegal altogether. Private UAVs must now be under 26 lbs due to federal laws.

The air cooled 2 cycle gas powered engines are usually illegal to fly in municipal areas.
However, these have the added benefit of getting lighter as the fuel is consumed.
Patrick
Sun May 04 2014, 04:11AM
i need about 100g of Russian plutonium to dangle 600 feet above my town. customs need not be alerted as Im a college student. The FBI need not be worried, im trust worthy.

once you have a fission or fusion reactor light enough to fly, propulsion efficiency really turns into a trivial matter.

(maybe i just need an RTG.) mental note: rob NASA at next inter-planetary launch opportunity.

More prop pics...

1399181863 2431 FT1630 Img 0202
AR Drone V1

1399181863 2431 FT1630 Img 0211
AR Drone V1

1399181863 2431 FT1630 Img 0218
Conventional propellers

1399181931 2431 FT1630 Img 0225

1399181931 2431 FT1630 Img 0226

pics
1399181903 2431 FT1630 Img 0219
note the curve.

1399181903 2431 FT1630 Img 0221
note the curvature and width

1399181903 2431 FT1630 Img 0223
light electric heli blades.

Dr. Slack
Sun May 04 2014, 06:06AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Right, let's have somebody come up with some numbers here.

Go back to this machine. A 2-blade fixed-geometry gas power heli stabilised with small electric rotors.

1399022774 72 FT149110 Whacker 3

Now, according to this website Link2, a 30" long 2 blade prop 15" pitch will generate 13lbs lift at 2500rpm consuming < 1kW. It's obviously a very niave equation, as thrust is independent of pitch, and power directly proportional to, all the way down to zero pitch, which is wrong. So I'm not expecting accuracy, just trying to find a reasonable ball-park by staying away from the extremes. A 2 blade can be turned to fit through a car door, a lower pitch should consume less power for similar thrust, and the power is significantly less than the max output of a 0.91, though it would need a drive belt to get its high rpm down to 2500. I spent max 3 minutes there, so didn't investigate more than a couple of combinations, but I feel I've at least got a handle on the sorts of things that might be possible.

Now the question, how fast does a 0.91 use fuel when generating 1.2kW. How long will it run on say 500g, or even 1kg of fuel for a 16% initial mass fraction? Searches for fuel consumption come up much leaner than searches for prop thrust, though they do hint that this is the right ballpark, and that there's a significant difference between 2 and 4 stroke.
Conundrum
Sun May 04 2014, 06:41AM
Interesting re. SOFCs.
Probably a stupid question, but could lasers be used to superheat something like a SOFC to avoid the need for a continuous heat source?
Also feasible, using lasers to do direct conversion ie internal combustion but using this method means novel engine designs can be used without needing to design out troublesome knocking and other problems.
My colleagues at work being impressed with my knowledge of engines did express a little disbelief at my suggestion of making a rotary engine using multiple smaller 2 stroke engines kludged together smile but in theory a Wankel engine like arrangement if mechanically stable could work even though the combustion chambers are not directly linked.

Many of the small engines used in lawnmowers and hedge trimmers are basically identical and often they are discarded for reasons such as non terminal gearbox failure or some trivial electrical problem.

"As the rotor's apex seals pass over the spark plug hole, compressed charge can be lost from the charge chamber to the exhaust chamber, entailing fuel in the exhaust, reducing efficiency, and giving high emissions. This may be overcome by using laser ignition, eliminating traditional spark plugs, which may give a narrow slit in the motor housing the rotor apex seals can fully cover with no loss of compression from one chamber to another. The laser plug can fire its spark through the narrow slit. "
(wikipedia)

Link2

-A
Ash Small
Sun May 04 2014, 12:35PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

Now the question, how fast does a 0.91 use fuel when generating 1.2kW. How long will it run on say 500g, or even 1kg of fuel for a 16% initial mass fraction? Searches for fuel consumption come up much leaner than searches for prop thrust, though they do hint that this is the right ballpark, and that there's a significant difference between 2 and 4 stroke.

Well, it's a reasonable assumption, at least when looking for somewhere to start, that the IC engine is most efficient at the same RPM as maximum torque is produced (if looking for a ballpark).

Now, two strokes are generally less efficient, but four strokes are invariably heavier, and any lighter, tuned engine will be less efficient than a larger (read heavier) engine in a lower state of tune.

It's beginning to become clear why swash plates enabling variable pitch control are the favoured method of controlling thrust.
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: