Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

200 Kilovolts VS Amethyst

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
HV Enthusiast
Thu Aug 02 2012, 12:55AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
I would put a a pretty high resistance in series. Not sure what your charge source is or what charge times you really want, but on the commercial max generators i've worked with, they generally used 1-10Meg series resistors for this purpose. We also use similar sized resistors when hi-potting large high voltage equipment.
Oneironaut
Thu Aug 02 2012, 03:09AM
Oneironaut Registered Member #3616 Joined: Fri Jan 14 2011, 08:47PM
EasternVoltageResearch wrote ...

I would put a a pretty high resistance in series. Not sure what your charge source is or what charge times you really want, but on the commercial max generators i've worked with, they generally used 1-10Meg series resistors for this purpose. We also use similar sized resistors when hi-potting large high voltage equipment.

That's a high resistance value. Looks like another DIY project as finding a resistor capable will be difficult. Maybe a 12 inch plastic tube filled with water and a set of bolts threaded into each end to seal the unit? That should have a meg or 2 of resistance and take the abuse.

What do you think about this as a charge resistor?...

Link2

Thanks,
Brad
2Spoons
Thu Aug 02 2012, 06:01AM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
I'd be a bit wary of using a film resistor. When I was working with electric fencing I found film resistors were OK until there was any kind of arc in series with them - at which point they'd blow a hole in the side. Something to do with fast voltage transients I'm guessing. I'd go with the water resistor - its cheap and easy to replace and customise.
Oneironaut
Thu Aug 02 2012, 01:40PM
While thinking about making a pair of charging resistors (water filled tubes), it came to mind that these definitely need to be on the transformer side of the diode. If the water resistor saw any DC current, hydrogen bubbles would probably form in the sealed tube... not a good thing with so much corona around!

Brad
jake3085
Thu Aug 02 2012, 01:48PM
jake3085 Registered Member #4800 Joined: Wed May 09 2012, 04:23AM
wow this looks great :) you have put a lot of work into this :) do you have any videos of this? and do you have a youtube channel if so ill sub ya:)

take care and be safe:)

my youtube ->https://www.youtube.com/user/jake3085? feature=mhee
HV Enthusiast
Thu Aug 02 2012, 01:51PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Oneironaut,

I have some resistors which will fit the bill if you're interested. Free of charge but they are big so i'd ask you to pay only the shipping.
Steve Conner
Thu Aug 02 2012, 02:02PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Oneironaut wrote ...

While thinking about making a pair of charging resistors (water filled tubes), it came to mind that these definitely need to be on the transformer side of the diode. If the water resistor saw any DC current, hydrogen bubbles would probably form in the sealed tube... not a good thing with so much corona around!

Brad

The diode is in series with the transformer winding. It's a series circuit, so if DC flows in one part of it, DC must flow in all of it. Halfwave rectifiers normally aren't used with transformers for this reason: the DC saturates the core. But your transformer is so overkill for the job that it probably won't be bothered. smile

As to the resistance value, anything above roughly 1k should work, as it just has to damp RF oscillations.
Microwatt
Fri Aug 03 2012, 04:07PM
Microwatt Registered Member #3282 Joined: Wed Oct 06 2010, 05:01PM
you know it looks like you hit it with a sledge hammer. y
Tetris
Fri Aug 03 2012, 06:34PM
Tetris Registered Member #4016 Joined: Thu Jul 21 2011, 01:52AM
Amethysts are so pretty. You should have found a way to just cleave it, not burst it into a trillion pieces! And where did you get the amethyst anyways?
Oneironaut
Fri Aug 03 2012, 10:21PM
HighVoltageChick wrote ...

Amethysts are so pretty. You should have found a way to just cleave it, not burst it into a trillion pieces! And where did you get the amethyst anyways?

I can't really get into much detail on the specifics, but the client will be happy with the results.
In my last version (much uglier design), I removed diamonds and kiberlite from solid rock core (video here)...

Link2

This version was pumped by a 14.4kv pole transformer and had some case arcing problems.
I am hoping to find funding to purchase 5 new Maxwell pulse caps and make a version that can be used to process tons of sample.

Brad
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: