All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
04/26 Bead (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Sigma delta modulated QCW- bang without the buck?

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Conner
Mon Nov 21 2011, 09:42PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Well here are the HV lab test results as promised...

The weird thing is that the sparks fundamentally don't look that different to how they did without the ramp! Either the ramp generator is really bad (the scope shows the primary current, and as you can see it is quite bad smile ) or the 220kHz resonant frequency affects the spark appearance so strongly that no amount of envelope shaping can undo it.

They look pretty big and gnarly though, and no components blew up, so I think it's at least somewhat of a result. I intend to go on and improve the modulation somewhat, then tighten the coupling and add more DC bus caps and see if the sparks can be got any bigger that way.

Then I'll build a new resonator with a frequency above 320kHz, which according to Steve Ward is the magic frequency where the sparks suddenly go swordlike. If I don't get sword sparks, this will prove that the modulator isn't good enough.

The tank cap used in this coil is 2 strings of 10 470nF, 1kV PP film/foil caps, for a total of 0.1uF. I've managed to get hold of 10 conduction cooled mica caps rated at 22nF, 1kV RMS, 75A RMS, to make a new "MMC From Hell".

Stay tuned for more updates, if you pardon the pun! smile
(Moved pics and video into top post as per Projects forum rules.)
Marko
Mon Nov 21 2011, 09:47PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Lol that makes a good bang... reminds far more of zillipoper coils than a QCW... can see more clearly now - your primary current seems to be rising really fast, more DRSSTC-like, notching and then settling to stable level... hm, control circuit malfunction?

Marko
Steve Conner
Mon Nov 21 2011, 09:58PM
Well, I'd class Zilipopper's coil as a QCW too. smile

The control circuit isn't necessarily "malfunctioning", it's just not doing what I expected! I can sometimes see the primary current drop almost to zero at the end of the burst and then pop up again.

I have to find out whether it's some sort of instability caused by nonlinear spark loading, or whether noise is just getting into it and tripping it prematurely, which would be a malfunction.

Edit: The best explanation I can think of is that the DC bus cap is emptying out, and a half cycle of mains is coming along and recharging it partly.
Avalanche
Tue Nov 22 2011, 01:24PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
Awesome, yes it certainly is loud! The only time I get that kind of sound from my SSTCs is when they explode cheesey

Look forward to seeing what happens when you add more DC bus capacitance, should straighten out the ramp a bit especially as the loop is closed on current.
teravolt
Wed Nov 23 2011, 03:01PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
a tube is a natural chioce for a high voltage high frequency modulator. would it be pausible to do delta sigma with a VTTC
Marko
Wed Nov 23 2011, 03:36PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
teravolt wrote ...

a tube is a natural chioce for a high voltage high frequency modulator. would it be pausible to do delta sigma with a VTTC

Well, I was thinking of either a delta sigma topology (sensing the primary current with a CT, and controlling the tube either in "staccato" by a mosfet or by toggling the screen grid voltage);

or, in case this still fails, screen could just be modulated linearly with a ramp to produce the same effect! Not as efficient but I see no reason why wouldn't it work!

Marko
Dr. Dark Current
Thu Nov 24 2011, 09:29AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Yes, the modulation of the screen should work. The parallel resonant primary circuit behaves close to a constant voltage sink (as opposed to constant current sink for a series resonant primary), so the modulation shouldn't be that inefficient.
Steve Conner
Thu Nov 24 2011, 10:39AM
It doesn't matter if the modulation is inefficient anyway. The plate of a vacuum tube should be able to handle a huge pulse of heat for a short time- it's not like a silicon die that could crack from thermal shock, or whatever it is that kills them.

I think linear modulation with a tetrode is a good idea, and will be pursuing it as a Plan B smile
Nicko
Sat Nov 26 2011, 03:29AM
Nicko Registered Member #1334 Joined: Tue Feb 19 2008, 04:37PM
Steve McConner wrote ...

1321724689 30 FT0 Qmjollnir1

"May contain traces of nuts" ??? (look closely)

Well, it is made in Scotland...
Steve Conner
Sun Nov 27 2011, 03:32PM
All my Tesla coil boards have some sort of nut reference in them! smile

Now publishing a schematic of the driver, since people are asking me for it.

1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: