Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
09/19 raff (47)
09/20 PYLEMET-mk2 (35)
09/21 Bill G (64)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Yeeeeha! Microprocessor controlled induction heater

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
IamSmooth
Mon Mar 15 2010, 01:57AM Print
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
I have successfully made a microprocessor controlled induction heater. My goal was to have a unit that will locate, lock and track resonance without any user input, and with any coil or workpiece.

The video shows how accurately and cleanly the circuit holds onto the resonant frequency. The range is 50 khz - 100 khz, but I can set it to anything. However, I have finer resolution if I keep the range tighter. Right now I can move in 12 Hz increments.

Link2

My next step is to connect it to 220v mains and see how hot I can get things. Then, I want to try and levitate a solid piece of steel and copper.
Bjørn
Mon Mar 15 2010, 04:01AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
That is excellent, it seems to work perfectly. Don't forget to explain how you did it.
IamSmooth
Mon Mar 15 2010, 04:04AM
I plan to post schematics and have an updated video when I get it set up.
Conundrum
Mon Mar 15 2010, 08:21AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
nice! :)

something like this would be handy for a reprap liquid metal dispensing nozzle...

-A
uzzors2k
Mon Mar 15 2010, 01:01PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Neat! Was this more enjoyable to design than the analog induction heater? I've never given digital control loops much thought, but there's so much more you can do with them that they must really excel in applications like this. What kind of microprocessor are you using?
IamSmooth
Mon Mar 15 2010, 01:21PM
ATMega328
GeordieBoy
Mon Mar 15 2010, 02:39PM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
Cool. What did you use for the RF source driving the inverter? Direct PWM out of the micro at the IH frequency, an analogue VCO controlled by the micro, or a digital DDS chip?

Have you implemented current/voltage limiting in your software controller also? You don't always want the inverter to pump full power into the tank circuit at it's resonant frequency. A typical example of this situation would be if the workpiece is removed.

-Richie,
IamSmooth
Mon Mar 15 2010, 05:49PM
Well. I have a small setback. It seems that as I increase the input voltage at resonance the chip gets reset. It just stops. The only way I can recover is if I take the microprocessor out and reprogram it.

Any thoughts? Do I need to tie all inputs that aren't being used to ground? Do I need an optocoupler to isolate my pwm output to the opamp? More decoupling capacitors somewhere?
Nicko
Mon Mar 15 2010, 06:06PM
Nicko Registered Member #1334 Joined: Tue Feb 19 2008, 04:37PM
IamSmooth wrote ...

Well. I have a small setback. It seems that as I increase the input voltage at resonance the chip gets reset. It just stops. The only way I can recover is if I take the microprocessor out and reprogram it.

Any thoughts? Do I need to tie all inputs that aren't being used to ground? Do I need an optocoupler to isolate my pwm output to the opamp? More decoupling capacitors somewhere?

More than decoupling I would have thought - have you scoped the power lines for the uP? also, with all that RFI, tie everything down to GND that's unused (nothing floating) anywhere, and screen & filter like crazy. One thing I learnt early was to use a completely separate regulator & filtering for the uP - don't share it with anything else! You can make nice boxes with FR4 board soldered up - a common radio amateur trick - e.g. see Link2 and Link2 etc.

I use the ATmega168PA at lot (will be using the 328 as they are essentially the same chip) with a TC for something I'm, working on, and I'm probably going to optically isolate all my I/O so that the uP can live safely in what is an extremely non-uP-friendly environment...

Another thought: Check your ground path and make sure nothing else is returning current anywhere near your uP - use a "star ground" configuration.
cjk2
Mon Mar 15 2010, 09:54PM
cjk2 Registered Member #51 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:17AM
Could it be something as simple as a signal coupling back to the reset pin on the Atmega? Use a pullup resistor on the reset pin and see if the problem goes away.
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: