Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
06/27 JLaz (30)
06/28 Alessandro (32)
06/28 Andrew L. (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

"Thumper"

Move Thread LAN_403
Finn Hammer
Fri Jun 26 2009, 04:50PM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Mathias wrote ...

Is it a good idea to mount the control electronics so close, in between the output terminals ?

Probably not. It is giving me a lot of headache just to make it look good.
Next iteration is not going to look like that, that´s for sure.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Finn Hammer
Sun Jun 28 2009, 02:42PM
With a couple of more hacks, I finally got the bridge up and-a hummin.

With 1.2uS combined delays from switching command issued to switching accomplished, it is still possible to acheive switching without overshoot and ringing, as I have documented with this little video.

Link2

Enjoy, Finn Hammer
GeordieBoy
Sun Jun 28 2009, 04:06PM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
Really excellent work Finn! The video is very informative. I would recommend anyone interested in Solid-State Tesla Coils to check it out.

It shows very dramatically how eliminating the reverse-recovery spikes of the co-pack diodes eliminates the resulting overshoot and ringing on the voltage waveform.

The only thing you have to watch out for is advancing the timing too much! Eventually you will see little steps form at the beginning of the voltage waveform, right after the transition. This is a little step downwards right where all the ringing used to be. If this step exists this indicates that the IGBTs are turning off before the zero-crossing of the current. The length of the step indicates how far ahead of the current-zero the IGBT turned off. This is generally bad for slow IGBTs because of current tailing when interrupting large collector currents. In practice it equates to increased switching losses at turn-off.

So, switching too late you have, reverse-recovery spikes, lots of ringing and turn-on switching losses. Or switching too early you have turn-off switching losses due to current tailing in the IGBTs. Obviously the sweet spot is where the IGBTs turn off with almost no current flowing at all, and the next device turns on right at the zero current crossing or very soon afterwards.

I shall follow your further developments with interest.

-Richie,
Dr. Drone
Sun Jun 28 2009, 05:11PM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
Finn Hammer
Sun Jun 28 2009, 06:11PM
GeordieBoy wrote ...

Really excellent work Finn! The video is very informative. I would recommend anyone interested in Solid-State Tesla Coils to check it out.

It shows very dramatically how eliminating the reverse-recovery spikes of the co-pack diodes eliminates the resulting overshoot and ringing on the voltage waveform.

The only thing you have to watch out for is advancing the timing too much! Eventually you will see little steps form at the beginning of the voltage waveform, right after the transition. This is a little step downwards right where all the ringing used to be. If this step exists this indicates that the IGBTs are turning off before the zero-crossing of the current. The length of the step indicates how far ahead of the current-zero the IGBT turned off. This is generally bad for slow IGBTs because of current tailing when interrupting large collector currents. In practice it equates to increased switching losses at turn-off.

So, switching too late you have, reverse-recovery spikes, lots of ringing and turn-on switching losses. Or switching too early you have turn-off switching losses due to current tailing in the IGBTs. Obviously the sweet spot is where the IGBTs turn off with almost no current flowing at all, and the next device turns on right at the zero current crossing or very soon afterwards.

I shall follow your further developments with interest.

-Richie,
Thanks.

I was just about to ask about the "dreaded current tail", one concept that I have not fully grasped. I will take a closer look at the waveforms to investigate this further.

Thanks!

Dr. Spark wrote ...

Nice work sir!

The video documentation is great. Only issue I had is there was this face in there that could scare the newbie’s to death!

Still thinking a snubber with diode/resistor would be a safe measure just in case. Will not switch in 99% of the time, but that one time when things get crazy.

Cannot wait to see your Fatboy ripping indeed!

Spark On,
Christopher

You are absolutely right, but you know there is a bit of Clint Eastwood in me, and I couldn´t resist going "whole hog" with that video.
I will use at least TVZ´s as snubber fer sure.

I am planning a test snubber, where I use a string of TVZ´s, one with a small value at the top, so like 1000V, and a 7.5V one on the top.
When this string starts to conduct, there will be 7.5 volts across the top TVZ, and enough current to drive a LED with associated resistor.
This could be used to show if there are overshoots, and at what input voltage level,
Could even make a small battery powered board with a 555 to make longer, more visible diode flashes.

But sure, the production version will have belt and braces protection.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
hvguy
Sun Jun 28 2009, 06:28PM
hvguy Registered Member #289 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 10:45AM
Nice video Finn. I will have to apply this to future projects.

Your relatively quick progress with this and ultimately its successful implementation got me thinking. Why did mine have so much phase shift variation? I went through my junk boxes and found the test setup from years ago, hooked it up, and sure enough, there was several degrees of phase change just by varying the current. Since yours did not behave this way I looked into it further. I had tried many different resistors and CTs but I always used the same small variable inductor. Since it was the only constant I removed it from the circuit and checked it with my LC meter and the inductance variation was nowhere near linear. I took the can off and, to my surprise, found shorted turns! Arggg, this whole time I thought the circuit was the problem! I recall accidentally running it without a burden a few times; I must have flashed over a few of those tiny turns... so much wasted time!

I’m glad you brought this concept back into light or I may never have revisited it, thinking my original results where accurate. I can’t wait to try it out now… Also, if you wanted to prevent the problems caused by too much phase lead, you could always use a simple phase comparator and leds. Maybe even a three led arrangement in a lead-0-lag configuration. You could also incorporate a shut down circuit feed from this comparator.
Linas
Sun Jun 28 2009, 06:48PM
Linas Registered Member #1143 Joined: Sun Nov 25 2007, 04:55PM
i don't know, or it good idea, but or someone try LC (like in induction heater) topology for DRSSTC ?
One of mine friend says , that if you using LC in series, you have large current in IGBT without any sense. So it can solve LC circuit... neutral
Steve Conner
Sun Jun 28 2009, 07:45PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Hey Finn, looks sweet! My only worry with these lead networks was that, being differentiators, they would amplify any high frequency noise floating around the circuit. But if it works it works, I won't argue with a working circuit.

Oh, and if newbies find your face scary, they're too weak to face terrifying sparks from a Tesla coil, so I say bring it on smile "I don't use snubbahs any moah"
Finn Hammer
Sun Jun 28 2009, 08:36PM
Steve McConner wrote ...

Hey Finn, looks sweet! My only worry with these lead networks was that, being differentiators, they would amplify any high frequency noise floating around the circuit. But if it works it works, I won't argue with a working circuit.

Oh, and if newbies find your face scary, they're too weak to face terrifying sparks from a Tesla coil, so I say bring it on smile "I don't use snubbahs any moah"

Actually, the shunt resistors across the lead burden inductor are there to dampen noise.
With the buss ringing like the liberty bell, initially the noice creates havoc in the circuit. Well, really it operates stable enough even then, but the scope is full of "tall grass" on all signals right at IGBT turn on time.

But when ZCS is dialled in, scope becomes nice and calm.

This will keep the whatshammacallthem? the EMC guys? happy.

"This coil only emits noise from the streamers"

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Finn Hammer
Sat Jul 04 2009, 05:48PM
all,

I now converted the motor to transformer gate drive. An intermediate 80V bridge drives 2pcs. 4:1 gate transformers.
I have boasted that I don´t use snubbas anymore, but to not appear foolhardy, I put 1000V strings of TVS'es.

This brings this cluttered look, Hats off to Linas for his clean looking bridge.

1246729187 205 FT68820 Nakedmotor

The motor is then dressed up with the box of controll electronics, the much fabled Hammertone "Predikter", and then it looks like this, where you can also catch a glimpse of the bench load we use to test the motor against:

1246729310 205 FT68820 Fullmotor

With 15ohm gate resistance, the sweet spot was met, where there is virtually no overshoot, particularly when power is cranked up! smile

Link2

Enjoy, Finn Hammer

1246730642 205 FT0 Motor Alacarte

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: