Wirenut (47)
Dieu (35)
M477i3win2 (30)

Next birthdays
06/29 Wirenut (47)
06/29 Dieu (35)
06/29 M477i3win2 (30)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

"Thumper"

Move Thread LAN_403
Finn Hammer
Tue Jun 09 2009, 08:59PM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Just a couple of pretty pictures before I crash.

First the busswork, now all finished, and with copper risers for connection to primary circuit. These risers will go trough the current feedback transformers.

1244580533 205 FT68820 Brucke1

Next, just to show how I intend to wrap it all up:
A nice alluminium box to contain the "Predikter" driver board, just finished soldering the 2nd. version with major bug fixes.
Nice short wires protruding with gate drive signals. They are not there yet, just in case you wonder. smile

1244580685 205 FT68820 Brucke2

I ordered the box a little small, another one is in the mail.
So it is going to become a nice compact motor for the "MK4"

1244581031 205 FT68820 Brucke3

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Extreme Electronics
Tue Jun 09 2009, 09:51PM
Extreme Electronics Registered Member #74 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:17AM
Fantastic engineering as always Finn. Although it would be a great shame to hide that Bridge in an aluminium case. Someone must make conductive plexy ;)

Derek
Dalus
Tue Jun 09 2009, 10:06PM
Dalus Registered Member #639 Joined: Wed Apr 11 2007, 09:09PM
One small thing that you might want to do. If I recall correctly Steve Wards bridge once arced over between two sharp edges on the busbar. You might want to round them just in case. Wouldn't want any destroyed IGBT's wink
Finn Hammer
Wed Jun 10 2009, 08:48AM
Extreme Electronics wrote ...

Fantastic engineering as always Finn. Although it would be a great shame to hide that Bridge in an aluminium case. Someone must make conductive plexy ;)

Derek
They do, actually. And I have a piece of it somewhere in the pile of junk I call my workshop.
It consists of plexi with a very fine mesh cast into the top 1/10th of a millimeter. The mesh is invisible to the naked eye of us mortals, excluding birds of prey, perhaps.

1244623385 205 FT68820 Falk

But with a magnifying glass it becomes visible to the unwashed masses, even. Problem is getting contact with it: Paint the edges with conductive paint, then interface with that: Not to my liking.
Apart from that, pretty as it is, I never was much into plexi. Apo-plexi, perhaps... smile

Dalus wrote ...

One small thing that you might want to do. If I recall correctly Steve Wards bridge once arced over between two sharp edges on the busbar. You might want to round them just in case. Wouldn't want any destroyed IGBT's wink

I think Steve was probably having creepage before flashover. Makes a big difference with RF signals of power magnitude.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Finn Hammer
Thu Jun 11 2009, 07:13PM
What a wonderful day!

Started early after a 24hours shift, downloaded the mazilli schematic from HvWiki, and drew it into eagle.
Got it layed out in Board, printed out the transparancies, and by 11 hours, I had the board, drilled and ready for population.
Stuck the parts in, and tried it out with temporary windings on the pot core transformer: It worked, oscillating at 96kHz.

This is the nice thing about making projects in eagle: They always work 1st. time.
The cuts into the board are to prevent the high side supply from tracking to low side.

1244745746 205 FT68820 Populated

Now it is time to work out the magnetics. I had a nice pot e-core I wanted to try out because it looks really pro smile and I had to make a custom bobbin for it too, the white one. Separate chambers for each gate supply, some of them bounching up 1200V and back. Well, maby only 1120V smile

1244745855 205 FT68820 Magnetics

I wound the primary, 2x5turns, with some 0.07mm thin foil I had lying around. And needed to make a really compact primary.

1244746034 205 FT68820 Foilpri

When It was all done, 12 hours had passed, and I was - sort of - satisfied:

1244746125 205 FT68820 Finito

No doubt, due to the tight coupling in this transformer, the output is quite stiff, as opposed to when I used a flyback core, with the primary on one leg and the secondary's on the other legs:

1244746361 205 FT68820 Ccpstranny

So now I have to find a way to stop frying the shunt zeners on the gate driver boards.

What is the most elegant way to limit the current out of the Mazzilli? Chokes on the driver boards or can it be done with another, bigger value series inductor, the one on the Mazzilli driver that goes to center leg of transformer? I am using one 0.2mH on yellow core. (So many things to know)

Ideas are invited here, cause I can't think or even see straight, having worked for 36 hours on end.
(But a great time was had)

Cheers, Finn hammer.

EDIT!

I s'pose it would be double posting, even though I answer the question myself.

The problem was, that the mazilli could put out considerable current, and that the gate driver board had a capacitor input filter, very crudely regulated by shunt Zeners.

These zeners turned hot very fast when I connected the mazilli to them, so some sort of current limitation had to be found.

The solution I came up with, was to change the filter on the gate driver boards to a choke input filter. In this case, a 1mH inductor did the trick. I had to increase the turns count on the mazilli transformer, from 10 to 15 to get enough voltage on the boards with this new filter, but the good thing is this:
I have full gate drive voltage, -10 - +20 V from 160V line, and up to 240V, where the zeners are still cool.

Another cheers from Denmark!
Finn Hammer
Mon Jun 15 2009, 06:47AM
The board and sch files are here:

Link2

Link2

All Eagle files, enjoy!

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Z28Fistergod
Tue Jun 16 2009, 12:27AM
Z28Fistergod Registered Member #2040 Joined: Fri Mar 20 2009, 10:13PM
Do you use just one of your inverter digital phase lag circuits? Or do you use one for each leg of the H-Bridge, which would allow you to set some dead time (or overlap)?
Finn Hammer
Wed Jun 17 2009, 08:56PM
Z28Fistergod wrote ...

Do you use just one of your inverter digital phase lag circuits? Or do you use one for each leg of the H-Bridge, which would allow you to set some dead time (or overlap)?

First delay stage arranges ZCS, the next stages set dead time.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Finn Hammer
Thu Jun 25 2009, 09:00PM
All,

I just assembled the "Thumper" motor:

1245963051 205 FT68820 Cm600motor1

1245963090 205 FT68820 Cm600motor2

As you see, it is preset for a 6.01kA current limit.

But under initial testing I saw that all the gates were +20V. What a bummer: during design and debug, I ran them from a sig gen. and did oversee the fact, that when the enable pin of the UCC37322 output chips are low, then the output is also low.
The optocouplers demand a current signal to reach high, which turns the gate drivers off.

At present I can´t see any easy or proper way to get around this problem, so maby this is a hint, that I should go for gate transformer after all.

I am tempted, sure would be easier.....

Those gate drivers were not safe. A missing signal should not cause failure.

EDIT.

Come to think of it, a small bipolar could reverse the drive and make it soso.
Maby I will hear the bridge sing tomorrow after all. smile

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Mathias
Fri Jun 26 2009, 06:49AM
Mathias Registered Member #1381 Joined: Fri Mar 07 2008, 05:24PM
Is it a good idea to mount the control electronics so close, in between the output terminals ?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: