Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Large DRSSTC [update]

Move Thread LAN_403
Linas
Mon Apr 13 2009, 02:06PM
Linas Registered Member #1143 Joined: Sun Nov 25 2007, 04:55PM
Finn Hammer wrote ...

I wish I could understand what those 2 BS170'es are doing......
Tdon delay (but not tdoff delay)
two BS170 doing same as if i use on 3K resistor ultrafast diode, like then you driving IGBT, put on 10R 1N5819 or similar cheesey

1240036575 1143 FT66676 P1490532

i have problems with feedback. i madded small 100W induction heater from my last GDT driver, signal from CT was very strong, and burn out all my resistors (2W 1K)
what to do ?
Steve Ward
Mon Apr 27 2009, 05:52AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Excellent work so far... just a couple thoughts:

The RCD snubbers may in fact not help provided you already use the de-coupling capacitors at the bus bar connections (it depends on inductances, but your RCD will almost always have more L than the single cap). But, the snubbers do look very well laid out, good job there smile. It cant hurt really smile.

Second, i suspect you will need more like 2500-3000 Apk for the power level you are talking about at only 311VDC.

How does your de-sat protection work? Is it not detailed in your gate driver schematic? I have wondered whether or not desat protection would help much for DRSSTCs. I think your best bet is to overdrive the gates so much that you are well clear of desaturation risks during normal operation. If you somehow get an inverter fault to ground or something, then your de-sat circuit would be able to save the day, which i cannot say about anything ive designed, so in that respect its good. You have to softly turn off the IGBT for proper protection, though, otherwise the resulting voltage spike might contain more energy than your snubbers can absorb and you blow the IGBTs... at least thats what most power engineers claim.

Linas
Mon Apr 27 2009, 02:39PM
Hi Steve
Over current protection based on MC33153, i connected just signal input, desat input, desat output, and have some 10K load on MC33153 output just in case.
every thing is simple. MC will know then IGBT are desaturating to much, then it 1 in fault out, that signal i will take with isolator (TI, 5ns delay ) and connect other isolator side to LM311 output, 555 input. It will work same as CT. So desaturation protection turn off igbt, but it don't let continuous operation some time. ( that is problem, i can start resonate...)
For Ipeak, i still can't get capacitors for large peaks currents. I want to use 0,5uF or so.
Now have just 150nF and 6KV ill
BSVi
Mon Apr 27 2009, 05:15PM
BSVi Registered Member #1637 Joined: Sat Aug 16 2008, 04:47AM
i have problems with feedback. i madded small 100W induction heater from my last GDT driver, signal from CT was very strong, and burn out all my resistors (2W 1K)
what to do ?
The more turns of wire you have on your CT, the less power you have to dissapate with your resistors. I think, 1000turns would be enough for your.
Linas
Mon Apr 27 2009, 05:28PM
BSVi wrote ...

The more turns of wire you have on your CT, the less power you have to dissapate with your resistors. I think, 1000turns would be enough for your.
yep, if you are using 1:33 >>1:33, but i don't want to use two cores, it will give some delay. But if i use 1000t on single toroid, it will have enormous L :(
I found bug in circuit. Feedback was same as SSTC, so i replaced 1K to 2R2, it forks just fine :)
Also I want to say thanks to Finn, he give me brass bolts, thanks a lot smile
BSVi
Tue Apr 28 2009, 08:18PM
BSVi Registered Member #1637 Joined: Sat Aug 16 2008, 04:47AM
Steve wrote (Link2
I should also mention a bit about current transformers. I read a paper that basically said, for RF use, cascaded (1 CT feeds the next CT) CTs are better than a single CT with lots of turns on it. This makes life much easier! For my DRSSTC-1 using primary feedback i use 2 cascaded CTs, each a 1:33 ratio. I use an identical set of CTs for the over current detection. It seems to work great. One other bit of crucial information. Terminate the CTs (either it be the diodes on the feedback CT or the resistor on the OC CT) as close to the board as possible (i mount the resistors/diodes right on the PCB). This greatly helps reject noise on both circuits.

Dont worry about delays. You are building big coil, and big coil resonates at low frequency, so delays are going to be negligible.
Dr. Dark Current
Tue Apr 28 2009, 08:35PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Linas wrote ...

BSVi wrote ...

yep, if you are using 1:33 >>1:33, but i don't want to use two cores, it will give some delay. But if i use 1000t on single toroid, it will have enormous L :(
I found bug in circuit. Feedback was same as SSTC, so i replaced 1K to 2R2, it forks just fine :)
Also I want to say thanks to Finn, he give me brass bolts, thanks a lot smile

Delay? The capacitances of the windings themselves are quite negligible and do not cause any delay in my opinion.

Linas
Wed Apr 29 2009, 05:14AM
5-30ns it's lot mad
i guess that my circuit (with IGBT) can give more than 800ns delay ill
also i think to wind on single toroid 200-300T for feedback, i know who have winding machine, so isn't problem for me :)
Linas
Mon May 18 2009, 04:03PM
Here is interrupter. two 555 for bps and on time control
Principal: Link2
for signal transmitting i think to use fiber optic. also thinking soft bridge turn on trigger on interrupter panel. I don't think use variac, because it is lot of weigh rolleyes
1242662595 1143 FT66676 Img 2424
LithiumLord
Mon May 18 2009, 07:01PM
LithiumLord Registered Member #1739 Joined: Fri Oct 03 2008, 10:05AM
Err,why no 556? ;) Nice board anyway :p

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: