All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

High Current Laser Diode PSU

Move Thread LAN_403
EEYORE
Sun Mar 15 2009, 01:29AM
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
Hello
I used the circuit in the app notes using a potentiometer on the trim pin. With a load resistor across the output, it will trim down past 2 volts actually.

It is very odd indeed. Seems it just doesnt regulate at all when drawing current (in the amp range). I havent scoped it yet for this, but scoped another of the same type while running a laser and saw a clean DC line of 5 volts.

I need to try hooking up another flatpac to rule out this one being faulty. Assume it is ringing, might some capacitance fix this?

Matt
Electroholic
Sun Mar 15 2009, 07:06PM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
if your output current is dependent on input voltage, first thing i would check is Vgs on the fets. You will probably see it going down instead of up as you down trim the input voltage.
EEYORE
Mon Mar 16 2009, 04:52AM
Hello,
The Vgs on the Fets is deffinately one reason for the problems. I took a closer look at the data sheet and they need at least 4volts to get past 30A. That solves the issue of not being able to get enough current, but it doesnt explain why the voltage drops from 5 volts to 4.6 volts when I pull 25A. I beleive I can pull max current as I cranked it up past 25A (meter only goes to 25A) and the flatpac shutoff (for overcurrent).

There is still the problem of hissing from the flatpac. It doesnt hiss below 5amps, but hisses on its way up to 15A alot and backs off some around 25A.

Weird!

So now comes the choice: Find FETs that can work at 2.7volts or get a stronger fan to cool off the heatsink. Without the ability to trim down some (Which I cant now), the power is going to be 200W - 80W (laser diode) = 120W!!!!!Yikes!

EDIT: I hooked up the old flatpac and got the same results. Lots of hissing as well from this one. Voltage drops as current goes up. I do have alot of long wires, maybe that has something to do with this? Maybe the output needs some capacitance? The output is also VERY erratic! Current goes up and down and the output voltage "quivers". It looks as if the thing is struggling to regulate..

Matt
hotcrazyfruit
Tue Mar 17 2009, 02:58PM
hotcrazyfruit banned on 5/26/2009
Registered Member #1877 Joined: Mon Dec 22 2008, 02:03AM
for the mosfet's i think u mentioned you needed better ones, there are sample able ones on Link2 that are rated for 40 amps at 1200 volts i think. u can sample 3 per month, and they are worth 30 bucks each!
hope i helped, Nick
edit : i found the link :

st.com/stonline/stappl/productcatalog/app?path=/ pages/stcom/ PcStComGenerateTableViewHTML.onClickOfRPN&primaryh eader=Transistors&secondaryheader=Power% 20MOSFETs&subclassheader=N-Channel%20(>650V) &subclassid=1168&rpncode=77616&producttype=product &open=&applilevel=

when posted as a link,m it doesn't work so copy and paste :)
EEYORE
Tue Mar 17 2009, 04:21PM
hotcrazyfruit wrote ...

for the mosfet's i think u mentioned you needed better ones, there are sample able ones on Link2 that are rated for 40 amps at 1200 volts i think. u can sample 3 per month, and they are worth 30 bucks each!
hope i helped, Nick
edit : i found the link :

st.com/stonline/stappl/productcatalog/app?path=/ pages/stcom/ PcStComGenerateTableViewHTML.onClickOfRPN&primaryh eader=Transistors&secondaryheader=Power% 20MOSFETs&subclassheader=N-Channel%20(>650V) &subclassid=1168&rpncode=77616&producttype=product &open=&applilevel=

when posted as a link,m it doesn't work so copy and paste :)
That still just links to their homepage...Anyways, the transistor you are refering to likely is NOT a good choice seeing as its rated for 1200volts. Its likely got a high Rth and on-resistance. No idea of its minimum Vgs, but I suspect its high too.

My mosfets are pretty good. Pretty darn hard to beat their specs for this application. Remember, this is a low voltage high current application.
Matt
Proud Mary
Tue Mar 17 2009, 04:25PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
What about the popular and inexpensive LM338T adjustable regulator, which needs but a couple of discrete components to make an adjustable current or voltage regulator offering 0 - 5A programmable constant current, and/or 1.2 - 37V adjustable voltage. Current regulation is, I believe, better than 1%.

I'm not a laser person, and so don't know all the ins and outs of their PSU needs, but you'd be hard pressed to beat the simplicity of LM338T if you want a stable good quality variable current/variable voltage regulator.

I'd expect to pay about £1, a dollar and a bit for them in single units.

I use them a lot, and swear by 'em, and Eirik/"Uzzors" is now using one to control the filament current in his X-ray tube with good results.

You can download a data sheet for LM338T here:

Link2

5A is the minimum guaranteed output, with 7A cited as a typical maximum, so don't forget a really good greased heatsink if you choose this technology! smile

EEYORE
Tue Mar 17 2009, 07:00PM
Harry wrote ...

What about the popular and inexpensive LM338T adjustable regulator, which needs but a couple of discrete components to make an adjustable current or voltage regulator offering 0 - 5A programmable constant current, and/or 1.2 - 37V adjustable voltage. Current regulation is, I believe, better than 1%.

I'm not a laser person, and so don't know all the ins and outs of their PSU needs, but you'd be hard pressed to beat the simplicity of LM338T if you want a stable good quality variable current/variable voltage regulator.

I use them a lot, and swear by 'em, and Eirik/"Uzzors" is now using one to control the filament current in his X-ray tube with good results.

Link2

5A is the minimum guaranteed output, with 7A cited as a typical maximum, so don't forget a really good greased heatsink if you choose this technology! smile

Hello,
thanks for the tip, but I need to control up to 50A max. smile Plus, the regualtors also waste alot of power as well as need large beefy rheostats for the constant current setup.
My setup is pretty good. I shortened the wires some and things are better. Voltage doesnt drop anymore when cranking up the current. There is still some hiss, but much less. (seems to go away once im up past 25A) I probably cut out 50% of the wiring lenght and also went to 12awg wire instead of two 16awg wires in parallel. Deffinately makes things harder to do with short wires tongue Heating will drop some with a new high power fan rather than the pitiful one I have now. (Heatsink gets hot with no load, but just gets warm with a laser connected). No idea of the flow rate of the fan, but its pretty quiet and doesnt seem to push much air.
Matt
Proud Mary
Tue Mar 17 2009, 07:50PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
mattrg2 wrote ...

Harry wrote ...

Link2

Hello,
thanks for the tip, but I need to control up to 50A max. smile Plus, the regualtors also waste alot of power as well as need large beefy rheostats for the constant current setup.
My setup is pretty good. I shortened the wires some and things are better. Voltage doesnt drop anymore when cranking up the current. There is still some hiss, but much less. (seems to go away once im up past 25A) I probably cut out 50% of the wiring lenght and also went to 12awg wire instead of two 16awg wires in parallel. Deffinately makes things harder to do with short wires tongue Heating will drop some with a new high power fan rather than the pitiful one I have now. (Heatsink gets hot with no load, but just gets warm with a laser connected). No idea of the flow rate of the fan, but its pretty quiet and doesnt seem to push much air.
Matt

There's no need at all for giant rheostats, and one can use LM338 to feed the bases of some cheap, fat NPN pass transistors up to any amperage you care to mention.

But I agree that this kind of technology helps to keep down your central heating bills, but suspect it imay be too simple to design and implement to appeal to many experimenters today! (I know my suggestion has a very 1970s technology flavour to it!) But there's better ways of being Green than worrying over the dissipation of a voltage regulator, and Heaven knows, I might have suggested using a massive mercury-argon thyratron on one of my thermionic nostalgia days! smile

I wish you well with your very interesting project, and look forward to hearing of your eventual engineering solution to your PSU problem. smile
Electroholic
Tue Mar 17 2009, 10:58PM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
Matt
to down trim Input voltage, you can feed the opamps with say a 12V source with the same ground, and keep the drain hooked up to the down trimmed flatpack.
something like this should work.
Link2
Sulaiman
Tue Mar 17 2009, 11:32PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I've got some SUM110N05-06, may be the kind of thing?
rated 110A 55V low gate voltage and charge, 6mOhm
(but you'll not get such low Rds(on) in practice due to temperature and gate voltage)
and smt about 10mm x 16mm including leads etc.
There are probably newer better variants now, try the Vishay Semiconductors site.
I think I have nine unused - for postage cost I could pop 2 or 3 in the mail.
Can't remember if I bought them or sampled them from Vishay, may be worth you looking at the Vishay site for current samplings?
Also, can't remember if Vishay do samples!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: