All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

High Current Laser Diode PSU

Move Thread LAN_403
EEYORE
Thu Feb 05 2009, 02:45AM
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
Hello all,
I have been busy getting a new design for a very high current driver done. It will be made using expresspcb and will use a whole board just for the power mosfets + current sense resistors. Another board will have the op-amps on it and both boards linked together with wires.
So far, my design will use 3 power mosfets with three op-amps to control them. My biggest concern is heating of the traces. I am using the miniboards. I have both top and bottom sides of the mosfet board used for the power traces. I still dont know how much current this can withstand like this.

My old driver let me experiment a little with things and find things to make improvements. One thing is to replace trimpots with precision potentiometers, as swinging the current up and down SUCKS when done with a precision trimpot and a mini screwdriver. tongue
The current sense resistors get HOT! I need to use some super low resistance ones to dissipate less power.
Here are the screen shots of the new boards. (Still in the design stage). Feel free to give some tips!
Matt
1233801865 99 FT51579 High Current 1

1233801865 99 FT51579 High Current 2
EEYORE
Tue Feb 10 2009, 01:51AM
Ok, so I have finalized my high current board. Would someone look it over and make suggestions before I have it made? I put in some 30A screw terminals and maximized the copper. I will hold off on the op-amp board and just use breadboard for that section since it will see minimal current.

Comments? Suggestions? I hope to drive a laser diode past 40amps with this and have it all be stable. Each Mosfet is overkill, but has low thermal resistance and low on resistance as well as works well at 5 volts. 3 ought to spread the current around a bit.

Thanks!
Matt
EEYORE
Tue Feb 10 2009, 08:55PM
Woops, forgot the screen shot of the power board...
Matt
1234299258 99 FT51579 High Current 1
Electroholic
Wed Feb 11 2009, 08:39AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
Dedicated ground return wire for the feedback wires?
EEYORE
Wed Feb 11 2009, 05:37PM
Electroholic wrote ...

Dedicated ground return wire for the feedback wires?

Im not sure what you mean exactly...The feedback for the op-amps from the current sense resistors are from wires to be connected from the labled spots (2,4, and 6)

I am also using both sides of the board to max the copper usage. Could this create dangerous capacitance? Or, should I be fine?
Thanks!
Matt
Electroholic
Wed Feb 11 2009, 06:20PM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
Copper on the FET board is carrying a lot of current, and could be different from ground as seen on the opamp board?
I could be wrong tho.

If the both sides are at the same potential I don't really see the problem.
EEYORE
Wed Feb 11 2009, 06:56PM
Oh okay I think I see what your saying. I will tie opamp board negative to negative of the mosfet board. Maybe that will help? Alot of current will be flowing...maybe I should sim.that somehow? Pspice may be in order...
matt
EEYORE
Thu Feb 26 2009, 07:18AM
Got the mosfet board made and soldered up! Just need to add a good heatsink with a fan to keep it cool.
Link2
Should handle quite a bit of current, no?
Matt
Thu Feb 26 2009, 05:56PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
looks sweet smile

I actually might need to build one of these bad boys, I was doing hot wire cutting and managed to fry my 100a linear regulated supply (all 151lbs of it) from the emf kickback sad It kindsorta stills runs, but I am not hooking any laser diodes to it. Really I want to get a buck converter working, but just don't see when I am going to find time to do it.

Lets see some FAP powered vaporisation!
EEYORE
Thu Feb 26 2009, 07:17PM
Thanks for the compliment! smile It DOES look nice huh? cheesey

Thats sucks about the linear regulator! But that may be a blessing in disguise. 151lbs is awfully big! Even for 100A. I would deffinately go the flatpac route. I talked to an engineer for Vicor about using a 5volt 40A flatpac for laser diodes. He obviously doesnt specialize in lasers, but knew that ripple and transients are bad for them. He thinks these SMPS will do fine. He said they regulate very well. He didnt seem to know much about the turn on and turn off behavior of them though. (Which is super important). A few people on Alt.lasers said they ripped open some Spectra Physics laser diode controllers and found vicor power supplies controlled by a bank of mosfets. (Basically what I have). They all tend to agree that this route SHOULD work fine.

If Spectra Physics thinks a flatpac and a mosfet bank is good for them, then its good for me too! wink

The great thing about these boards I made are that they ought to be able to be doubled up for even more current control. I could use two boards to control a sh*t ton of current, right? I really dont even plan to go past 40A though, but overkill couldnt hurt.

Right now the op-amps are all sitting on a breadboard. Once I veriy that this is a good design, I will use expresspcb to pimp out an op-amp controller board!

Now for the hardest part: Finding a suitable heatsink and drilling/tapping the damn holes for screws. (I really hate that!).

Could someone help with another question? I am trying to figure out how much power everything will dissipate. The laser diode and current sense resistors are easy, but what about the mosfets? The supply is 5volts, but is that dropped evenly across the circuit seeing as this is a constant current circuit?

Matt

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: