Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
mileswaldron (59)

Next birthdays
06/03 mileswaldron (59)
06/04 muze801 (33)
06/05 HVgeek (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

why do SGTC and SSTC's have differant outputs than VTTC's

Move Thread LAN_403
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sat Mar 25 2006, 07:41PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
your output there has 'fractal' geommetry
Marko
Sat Mar 25 2006, 07:54PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
I managed to get single sword from breakout point on small coils, when it is significantly away from secondary and power isnt too high, same with CW and halfwave.
Maybe someone could try to make breakout point of long wire, long as secondary and make a sharp ti on other side to see what happens.

Small coils actually don't even make a breakout if point isnt away enough from the topload.
teravolt
Sun Mar 26 2006, 04:17AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
it seems that frequency and CW operation afect sword streemers. I submit that sstc and vttc's can produce the same or simular sparks. Has any body made a CW sstc with 12" sparks or more to see this afect. N.B.
Steve Ward
Sun Mar 26 2006, 07:15PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Has any body made a CW sstc with 12" sparks or more to see this afect. N.B.

Yes. At that point the spark is a funnel shapped flame of yellow and purple plasma, doesnt resemble a sword at all.

About 2 years ago i did some SSTC tests with various frequency coils. The higher frequency coils could produce sword streamers up to about 12-14" in length, but beyond that they would start forking and losing form. This was with a 350khz secondary... the same secondary that was used for my VTTCs which could do 24-26" perfectly straight sparks. I have never achieved that with a SSTC!!

I also tried low frequency secondaries on VTTCs, and they produce gnarled twisted sparks, much like a lower frequency SSTC.

Sadly, i didnt take note of the RF envelope (both that of what was feeding it and the secondary E-field) for any of these cases except for my normally running VTTC producing the 2 foot sword sparks. It had a very linear and smooth rising shape all the way near the end where it dropped off suddenly (following that part of a sine wave i suspect).

My thoughts have always been that it depends upon operating frequency and RF envelope, but even that may be oversimplifying things.

It seems to be a matter of how to grow the right fractal...
teravolt
Mon Mar 27 2006, 06:01AM
maby it would pausible to make a tesla like a vttc with a single 40n60 or transistor. tubes and mosfets are voltage controled devices, maby it would be pausible get it to ocilate if there was enough phase inversion in the circuit
SteelWolf
Mon Mar 27 2006, 12:27PM
SteelWolf Registered Member #344 Joined: Fri Mar 24 2006, 03:42PM
This was the straightest streamer I could get. I achieved this form of streamers when modifieing the on time of my interrupter..dunno how man µs it was I'll try it again today..
But without a interrupted I only get thoose bushy, crossed and lightning like Streamers
A power Frequency Converter would be nice, trying different input Frequencies..maybe 200HZ or under 50 hm.. anyone tried this?
1143462388 344 FT4698 Abitswordlike
teravolt
Tue Mar 28 2006, 05:48AM
A vttc gets its feedback from allmoast half the way up the secondary. Is the output frequency the same as the mesured secondary frequency on the secondary coil? Puting the pimary and feedback so close to the secondary must afect the secondary resonant frequency of a vttc? N.B.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: