Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
06/27 JLaz (30)
06/28 Alessandro (32)
06/28 Andrew L. (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

[moved] 24,000j Capacitor Bank (Now Complete)

Move Thread LAN_403
Firefox
Thu May 01 2008, 02:18AM
Firefox Registered Member #1389 Joined: Thu Mar 13 2008, 12:50AM
Sheesh, is that 14 AWG? Perhaps soaking your coils in carbon fiber or fiberglass laced gorilla glue would have prevented that? In any case, I can't wait to get my 1kJ photo flash bank together now!
Electroholic
Thu May 01 2008, 03:47AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
What kind of failure mode is that? inter-turn short from the compression effect of the shot?

Glass and CF are too stiff, kevlar or spectra might work.
Tesladownunder
Thu May 01 2008, 04:38AM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
FastMHz wrote ...

My electrical experimentation last night ended with the cops showing up....apparently, the neighbors thought a 14,000j discharge into a pickle was too noisy :-o
I launched electromagnetic induction rockets, accidentally detonated a coilgun with too much energy and laughed uncontrollably as pickles exploded with incredible ferocity cheesey The coilgun was so powerful at 3.8kj that it shot a slug through both sides of a 5-gal pale and almost through sheet metal behind it!!! So I decided to try 5kj...and this happened:
My capacitor bank is 24,000j fully charged.
I would suggest you get your neighbors onside. Explain in a letter, or preferably personally, that you are a mildly eccentric chap that has an electrical lab and will make some noises. Be clear to explain that there are no guns or explosives and that there will be no noise after 9 pm. They are welcome to have a guided tour or have an open day.
Otherwise you risk getting them increasingly pissed off.

I have a little concern if you are "accidentally" doing anything with those energies. Have fun but take care.
Also bear in mind that inductive loads plus electrolytics will eventually give cap failure and one of them may go the way of your pickle. I got a bruise from an exploding cap less than 1cm size from overvoltage so your mileage with 14kJ will vary.

TDU
FastMHz
Thu May 01 2008, 03:15PM
FastMHz Registered Member #179 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:08AM
I totally agree - letting my neighbors know there aren't bombs or something over here is a good idea. Every time I meet a new neighbor I do tell them of my electrical hobbies and that they might hear it. I just hadn't met *all* of them yet as I only moved in on Apr 1st....I'm getting there!

As for accidentally doing stuff....well...coils die, what can I say? My system is remote controlled so I can be really far away from it in case of failure, as I've explained throughout this thread. I've also noticed that my spark gap stops conducting before the bank is completely discharged or reverse charged by the coils - there's always a few hundred volts left in, in the correct polarity. Methinks this is a good thing!

Not sure about the failure mode...but the coil was scrunched up pretty good - I used to be twice as long. It was 3 layers of 50 turns of 14awg. Perhaps I need more layers...

Hopefully I'll get the video edited soon - Almost everything was caught on camera cheesey
Tesladownunder
Fri May 02 2008, 12:34AM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
FastMHz wrote ...

I've also noticed that my spark gap stops conducting before the bank is completely discharged or reverse charged by the coils - there's always a few hundred volts left in, in the correct polarity. Methinks this is a good thing!

Not sure about the failure mode...but the coil was scrunched up pretty good - I used to be twice as long. It was 3 layers of 50 turns of 14awg. Perhaps I need more layers...

Don't assume that you have just discharged 99%. What is more likely is that there have been repeated ringing cycles and what is left is a combination of what no longer has the power to sustain an arc and some recovered charge (when caps recharge themselves a bit). This is what I see on my storage CRO even when the coil is disrupted.

In terms of coil failure, the forces are for axial compression and radial expansion. It explains why the coils scrunch up (making interturn shorts develop) and expand and disrupt at the same time.

To provide some physical restraining force, I have placed my coin shrinking coil in a container wrapped in old cloth. Fill with water and freeze. Any coil explosion then has to disrupt that. Easy to do and no cost. These are the results of 5kJ on a coil of 2mm wire which had fibreglass wrapping between turns.

TDU

1209688039 10 FT32933 Coinshrinkingyencoilpost
FastMHz
Wed May 07 2008, 11:36PM
Thanks for the frozen cloth idea!! I especially like the cost wink And anything that makes these suckers safer is a good thing!!
Bust_A_Cap
Tue Jun 24 2008, 12:47PM
Bust_A_Cap Registered Member #1561 Joined: Mon Jun 23 2008, 07:58PM
hey i know this is pretty late with the posting, but I was wondering why you didn't decide to put balancing boards on your cap bank?

It seems like your pretty set on having the gun fire a single massive shot, rather than doing multiple stages and what not, but I was thinking you could set up a sweet chainfun style barrel system, consisting of say, 10 cap barrels, and have a cap bank for each of the barrels, you could have it fire all at once or in rapid sucession.

Anyways this is an amazing cap bank and your works is looking great
FastMHz
Thu Jun 26 2008, 05:19PM
Yes, a single shot is the plan because I'm building induction launchers....I'm going to build a gigantic 1 foot+ pancake coil and launch some seriously huge objects, and hopefully get some larger "rockets" flying.

All these caps appear to be matched, and charge relatively evenly, so external balancing wasn't necessary.
Dr. SSTC
Thu Jul 10 2008, 04:59AM
Dr. SSTC Registered Member #1407 Joined: Fri Mar 21 2008, 07:09AM
im just wondering if you discharged that bank fully charged into me would i expolde
Myke
Thu Jul 10 2008, 05:23AM
Myke Registered Member #540 Joined: Mon Feb 19 2007, 07:49PM
jovica93 wrote ...

im just wondering if you discharged that bank fully charged into me would i expolde
Weird question but yeah... probably some part or all of you would explode.

EDIT: Ok, you probably would die though...

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: