Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)

Next birthdays
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
06/20 oxodoes (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

[moved] 24,000j Capacitor Bank (Now Complete)

Move Thread LAN_403
FastMHz
Fri Feb 08 2008, 11:35PM
FastMHz Registered Member #179 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:08AM
Success!!...I built a giant knife switch to completely isolate the charger from the bank before discharge....problem solved!!! So I began having some fun at lower energies of around 5kj last night. First I fired an induction coil with a harddrive platter into a 5gal plastic bucket, which left a clear indentation of the platter in the bottom of the bucket. Cool I said, so I connected the outputs to a CD-R. KaaaaaaaaaBAMMMMMMM it went....the shockwave was immense, I felt it across the room...the foil detonated with a ferocity I've never seen, and the smell of burnt plastic filled the air as the disc got so hot it warped. I do plan to detonate a CD-R at 24kj eventually cheesey I need to build some rather large induction coils to handle the full energy too, so that I can launch some rather large "rockets", since that's what I most enjoy doing with these things. Large thermo-cannons would be fun as well if I can ever have one fabricated strong enough to withstand the pressures.
Simon
Sat Feb 09 2008, 03:02AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
Congratulations! Can we have some pics?
FastMHz
Sat Feb 09 2008, 05:28AM
Pics and video will be forthcoming soon smile I've just built a rolling cart for the cap bank to make it more mobile, as it takes my entire workbench up at the moment. I'm going to enclose the base of the cart to make it a cabinet as well to store all the components together, such as charger, gap, cables, etc.
Backyard Skunkworks
Mon Feb 11 2008, 12:58AM
Backyard Skunkworks Registered Member #1262 Joined: Fri Jan 25 2008, 05:22AM
Haha, just read the "Thermoelectric Cannon Construction" thread and it looks like the exploding water thing is old news. Still looks cool though.
Tesladownunder
Sat Mar 01 2008, 10:42AM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
I am late to find this thread.
Nice stuff. A few comments.
You are likely to blow your electrolytics with ringing if you are feeding into a coil. On can crushing I was getting 60 - 80% ringing. I doubt that your electrolytics will like that reverse voltage and (16kJ coming in backwards).
I used token big diodes and a heavy resistor for my small 1.5kJ bank to catch the reverse ringing but I cannot stop the energy of my big bank.

I suggest you try this lots of times with 1 cap and equivalent proportional load. Preferably look at the waveform with a CRO.

That's why pulse caps are used for this sort of stuff not electrolytics and even they have a limited reverse rating too which is 20% reversal for my Aerovox caps and 80% for my Maxwell.

My suggestion is enjoy blowing things up with resistive loads. You can get great pics and a fair life for your cap until one fails and explodes and takes out the ones within a couple of feet of it. This is likely to happen very soon if you have an inductive load.

TDU
ramses
Sat Mar 01 2008, 07:28PM
ramses Registered Member #1208 Joined: Thu Jan 03 2008, 05:30PM
but inductive loads are so much fun... the best thing i can think of is some way to blow the wire when V ~0 and then extinguish the arc somehow (like a massive electromagnet and fans). good luck!
Tesladownunder
Sun Mar 02 2008, 01:36AM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
Inductive loads are fun but remember that everything has an inductance, from the caps to the busbars and this is the dominant load often in my case even though the circuit path is 24 inches.
Dont think that you can simply turn off a huge magnetic field easily. Huge voltages will develop and the spark will jump across the developing gap of your switch.

Although I haven't documented a lot, My pictures of exploding wire current draw still had ringing not that dissimilar to can crushing. So even a "resistive" load may be primarily inductive.

TDU
FastMHz
Mon Mar 03 2008, 06:30AM
Hey guys - I'm still around! Didn't blow up or anything :-o I'm actually moving to a new place....I just plain am out of space....and this project is to blame for a lot of that!! It's HUGE. So I'll be out of action for a couple of months, but once my new, vastly expanded shop is done, I'll be able to resume immediately in Spring cheesey
Tue Mar 18 2008, 01:16PM
101111 Registered Member #575 Joined: Sun Mar 11 2007, 04:00AM
THAT is one insane capacitor bank! amazed

Wonder how many times it can kill and revive you.. angry
FastMHz
Wed Apr 30 2008, 05:32PM
My electrical experimentation last night ended with the cops showing up....apparently, the neighbors thought a 14,000j discharge into a pickle was too noisy :-o I'll have tons of pictures and new youtube productions soon!

I launched electromagnetic induction rockets, accidentally detonated a coilgun with too much energy and laughed uncontrollably as pickles exploded with incredible ferocity cheesey The coilgun was so powerful at 3.8kj that it shot a slug through both sides of a 5-gal pale and almost through sheet metal behind it!!! So I decided to try 5kj...and this happened:

Cgdiedud7

My capacitor bank is 24,000j fully charged....I've only gone up to 14,000 so far....this sucker is insane!!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: