All today's birthdays', congrats!
KresoLiubov (39)
cookyy2k (38)

Next birthdays
09/25 KresoLiubov (39)
09/25 cookyy2k (38)
09/26 Curtis (47)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Very High Voltage Piezoelectric Power Supply - Digitaly Variable - Lightweight SMT

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Uriah
Tue Aug 07 2007, 04:16AM
Uriah Registered Member #898 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 07:50AM
Many thanks to everyone who has added to this thread. It has ALL been extreamly helpfull.

I am so busy lately that I ushualy only get to do computer work a few times a week.

Acquiring a new type of Piezoelectric Transformers will enable my power supply to put out more then twice the Wattage (16W), at only half the weight of the previously considered unit. Attached is the basic HV layout. I am using push pull topography to ensure stable operation of the PT. The pulse transformer will be made by CustomCoils with a MEMs cooling unit connected to the coil and HV component array using a complex ceramic heat sink.

As to application, is it ok to talk about Electrohydrodynamics, i.e. "lifters" on this forum?

As to power source, 3100mAh LiPoly will power my brushless powered RC airplane for 10 minutes above 30amps at 11.1V. With the new PTs the max input voltage is 12.5V and the MAX ouput it 3.15kV at 8watts. Also, in my design the cooling devices enhance the Piezoelectric/ dielectric performance.

With this much energy I have managed to keep most of the aircraft the exact scale I was already planning. But now I have more than twice the pre-calculated aerodynamic modification. The chord of the wing and some other features of the aircraft will change with energy density per unit volume of surrounding atmosphere.

Like I said previously, I will share a lot more about my project when this stage is tested. I'll have my website up by then and I invite all who care to join my in discussion there.

Best regards,
Uriah George

P.S.
In the attached render not all the SMD components are visible and most of the circuit design is not drawn in.
 Digitaly Variable Psu B
Tue Aug 07 2007, 06:23AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
If you are worried about size/weight, I would dump the BS2 and use a strait PIC (you can even get one that has parallax'es interpreter burned in them, just add resonator, eeprom, and power).

Also, I would be a tiny bit worried about having these vary large/fast pulses right next to the microprocessor...
Uriah
Thu Aug 30 2007, 12:58AM
Hey everyone! My prototype is going very well. I have the IGBT, and all the SMD components for its driving circuit. I have the Multi-layer PTs, (100 of them!) and am still working on its driving circuit.

Can someone help me out. I need to find a sine wave (sinusoidal) generator that is SMD and can opperate at 47kHz ±1.5kHz, fixed or fully variable. I found this one from Frequency Devices Inc.
Link2

It actualy would work perfect, electricaly. It has a precise frequency control option (±1.5kHz) which is good for tunning the MTP's resonant frequency.

BUT IT IS HUGE FOR MY APPLICATION NEEDS!!!

If anyone can help me find a smaller SMD oscillator device or cicuit it would be very helpfull.

The MPT's exact specs are as follow:

Efficiency (at resonant frequency): 96%
Output current max: 9.4mA
Output voltage max: 3.46kV p-p (WHAT DOES p-p MEAN???)
Input voltage (less then or equal to): 12V
Input current max: 1510mA
Static input capacitance (1kHz 1Vrms): 215nF ± 10nF
Operation temp range -20 ~ 70°C
150KΩ load resistance (25°C λ/2 sine wave, resonant)
Voltage step-up ratio (resonant): 100 ±5

The specified control and test layout is attached along with the equivalent circuit for the PT.

Regards,
Uriah George

1188435455 898 FT28407 Test Mpt

1188435455 898 FT28407 Equivelent
Thu Aug 30 2007, 01:51AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Sounds good... p-p means peak to peak, ie if you looked at the output on a scope and measured the voltage from the peak to the trough of the sine wave, that would be 3.5kV. More practically, if you use a fullwave rectifier you will also get about 3.5kV.

As to a smaller oscillator, why not just make a discrete transistor oscillator? If you used decent quality components (ie 1%) you should be able to keep it nice and stable...
Uriah
Thu Aug 30 2007, 02:19AM
So a transistor oscillator could be controlled by a digital potentiometer using slow on-off code from my BS2px? Because switching it on and off directly would produce squarewave, this needs to be a uniform sine wave.

Regards, Uriah
Steve Conner
Thu Aug 30 2007, 08:45AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
If you really want a stable sinewave of adjustable frequency, I can think of two ways to do it: a state-variable oscillator, or a DDS. The DDS is probably more compact, and can be programmed digitally: see the Analog Devices AD9835 chip as an example: Link2

But, surely the whole point of piezo transformers is that they can be wired to self-oscillate in a simple circuit. If you want to control power, maybe you should study the techniques used for dimming CCFL backlights powered by piezo transformers, since CCFL backlighting is their main application, after all.

I bet there is an all-in-one driver chip somewhere that takes brightness commands digitally, and if you could get 100 custom piezo transformers, you should be able to get samples of those too.
thedatastream
Thu Aug 30 2007, 01:15PM
thedatastream Registered Member #505 Joined: Sun Nov 19 2006, 06:42PM
Once you load a Piezo transformer they de-Q like any resonant circuit and the need to control the frequency exactly reduces.

Also, each device will have a tolerance associated with it so setting up this supply for one specific Piezo might not work for another. Some kind of frequency measurement to provide a feedback loop is a good idea...
Conundrum
Fri Aug 31 2007, 10:26PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Hi..

I did wonder about using these with the piezo outputs in series separated by diodes, but the primaries in parallel.

You would still require a method of isolating the primaries but this could be done with a single multi-winding ferrite coil.

:)
(I doubt that putting 25KV+ on a transformer designed for 3kv would be a good idea)
-A
Uriah
Mon Sept 03 2007, 09:00AM
Thank you everyone! I spent an hour looking up some of the suggestions, and now I really know I have my work cut out for me.

I am hopefully moving to California very soon to begin college and work for an aerospace LLC there. A lot of my career will revolve around HV electronics. I guess you could say this project is a pre-curser to what will come there, but still expectations are high.

I'll get to everyone here in three weeks with a PDF of the final design.

And NO, you can't hook the PTs in series.... but you can build your own to get to that voltage. They are elegantly simple devices to construct!

Attached is a picture I took of one of the Multi-layer Piezoelectric Transformers from China.

Best regards,
Uriah
1188810000 898 FT28407 Mpt3610b10l1
Uriah
Mon Sept 03 2007, 09:06PM
P.S. Here is another picture showing the other side which has two plastic mounting pads with a layer of foam inbetween. That is actualy just my assumption, I am guessing they are ment to be glued to mounting surface. The layer of foam makes it so that as little vibration as possible from the PT is transferred to the PCB.
1188853560 898 FT28407 Mpt3610b10l1 Foam Pads
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: