All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

14Vf LED question

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Wed Sept 23 2015, 05:39PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

light photons need a certain minimum energy, and in a LED, that needs to be provided by a single electron. The excitation voltage must be above that energy threshold, or we're back in perpetual motion territory again. However, below that voltage there is still current flowing by other leakage unwanted mechanisms, just no light production.

The electrons around the junction have an 'average energy'. Some will have more, some will have less. They are all 'jiggling about', gaining and losing energy as they collide, etc.

Some will achieve a high enough energy level to 'jump' even when the 'average energy' is below the threshold.

QM is all about 'probability' and 'cross-sections' wink
Bored Chemist
Thu Sept 24 2015, 01:06AM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

Bored Chemist wrote ...

What I said was that a current would flow at a much lower voltage than 1.7.
Would you like me to set up the experiment and plot out the results for you?

Yes, check my long post and that's what I said too, by mechanisms other than the 'wanted' behaviour of splitting water molecules.

By the same token, dragging the subject back to the topic of LEDs, light photons need a certain minimum energy, and in a LED, that needs to be provided by a single electron. The excitation voltage must be above that energy threshold, or we're back in perpetual motion territory again. However, below that voltage there is still current flowing by other leakage unwanted mechanisms, just no light production.

Loading the LEDs with a 10M meter as I measure them tends to reduce the measured voltage at low currents, hence suggest that the string current is flowing at a lower device voltage. Measurement with a high impedance meter would sharpen the knee in the voltage/current curve. Thus my mid-impedance measurement conditions favour your 'no threshold' position.

I think if we haul the argument all the way back to the OP, he was talking about what conditions would give him visible light, not whether his LED had sub-threshold leakage currents. I don't think he'd be looking for remarks on his costume like 'Dude, I really like the leakage currents in your non light emitting things!'

Is it really the case that the only difference between our arguments is that you say there's no threshold for current flow, which I agree with, there isn't, due to leakage currents, where I say there *is* a threshold for useful function, light output or molecule splitting, which there is as it depends on the finite energy needed to make one quantum of stuff do its useful stuff?

The flies in the ointment seem to be that
Hydrogen is generated, and a current flows, at voltages less than 1.7 volts;
and the evidence (form others seeing light at nano amp levels) suggests that light is generated at voltages below this mystical "threshold".

Feel free to provide experimental evidence for your assertion that "Measurement with a high impedance meter would sharpen the knee" especially since I am in the fortunate position of having made measurements with a high impedance meter, and having found the results predicted by the mathematical model put forward by some bloke who got a Nobel prize for work in this field.

It's entirely possible that there's some other reason for the disparity, but I think we should look at this one first.
Uspring
Thu Sept 24 2015, 09:08AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Ash Small wrote:
The electrons around the junction have an 'average energy'. Some will have more, some will have less. They are all 'jiggling about', gaining and losing energy as they collide, etc.

Some will achieve a high enough energy level to 'jump' even when the 'average energy' is below the threshold.
If you talk about thermal jiggling, the energy is much too low for the LED to emit a meaningful amount of light at room temperatures. At sufficiently high temperatures the LED will glow red even without a voltage applied smile

Bored Chemist wrote:
The point is that it's a plot of log I vs V and it does not show a threshold.
By distorting the X axis you can make almost any function look linear in a plot. I think a threshold doesn't have an exact definition. I'd consider a threshold to be a sufficiently steep part in a function. Whatever that is.
Dr. Slack
Thu Sept 24 2015, 10:07AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
I haven't got the spare time for this

Duty Calls

Going back to what the OP wanted to know

You have a LED product for which the data sheet says 12v or 14v supply, and a 9v battery. Try it on 9v. It won't blow up. It may or may not appear to light. If it lights, you've learnt that it probably has an extra resistor in there and a usable light emission threshold less than 9v. Don't forget that if it doesn't appear to light, it may still be emitting photons. I hope The Chemist is working on a paper entitled 'anomolous sub-threshold photon emission in LEDs, and their application to dark-looking halloween costumes'. I think the paper should include arguments that you can use to persuade your fellow trick-or-treaters that those dark plastic things are in fact emitting light because thresholds are mythical.

Try it on 18v. But it may be prudent to see whether the data sheet specifies an absolute maximum supply voltage, or an absolute maximum supply current. An abs max voltage would suggest it has high slope resistance, an abs max current would suggest it has a low slope resistance. Hey, I've got a good idea for a game, let's argue about what high and low mean, while totally ignoring the context. If it has an abs max current, then use a series resistor such that the 18v-14v difference won't push more than the data sheet abs max current through. Or you can just connect it to 18v, and blame The Chemist if it burns out because it's irrelevant whether current or voltage is specified.

Einstein won the Nobel prize in 1921 for work on the photoelectric effect, demonstrating the quantum nature of light. That's my appeal to external authorities (rhetorical devices #4). I wonder if there's an equivalent to Godwin's Law for Einstein. Go figure on the conservation of energy, and enthalpy of formation for water from its elements at STP.

Any more discussion of electrolytic cells is way off topic, and should be taken to another thread, the equivalent of 'see you outside in the car park'. Whether the general science car park or the chatting car park depends on the level of scientific exchange. If we are going to keep shifting the ground between whether it's hydrogen and oxygen gas at STP in stoichiometric ratio, or just hydrogen, produced by a cell (I'd expect different thresholds for those), then I think chatting would be the one to go for.

Bored Chemist
Thu Sept 24 2015, 12:11PM

"By distorting the X axis you can make almost any function look linear in a plot. I think a threshold doesn't have an exact definition. I'd consider a threshold to be a sufficiently steep part in a function. Whatever that is."
Incidentally, the "steep" bit is where it is most linear: hardly a "threshold".

The way you write that almost makes it look as if you think taking the log of the current is "cheating" in some way.
Linearising plots so you can see whether or not data is following a theoretical function is standard practice in science.

That's why you get things like Stern-Volmer plots and Michaelis Menten plots.
Now, given that I did post the full data set, you are, of course, welcome to plot that data as you see fit.

Please tell me where the "threshold" is.
Ash Small
Thu Sept 24 2015, 12:34PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Uspring wrote ...

Ash Small wrote:

If you talk about thermal jiggling, the energy is much too low for the LED to emit a meaningful amount of light at room temperatures. At sufficiently high temperatures the LED will glow red even without a voltage applied smile

Bored Chemist wrote:
The point is that it's a plot of log I vs V and it does not show a threshold.
By distorting the X axis you can make almost any function look linear in a plot. I think a threshold doesn't have an exact definition. I'd consider a threshold to be a sufficiently steep part in a function. Whatever that is.

Udo, my point was that as the 'average energy' approaches the threshold voltage, more 'jiggling' electrons will gain enough energy to jump. I was suggesting this as an explanation (or partial explanation) of why PicoAmp readings can be obtained at voltages below the 'threshold voltage'.

BC and Neil, in my opinion are both correct. Only electrons with sufficient energy can jump, but some will have sufficient energy even when the average voltage is below the threshold.

BC, I believe you may have incorrectly attributed a quote to me wink
Bored Chemist
Thu Sept 24 2015, 12:57PM
Sorry, I'm not sure what happened to the quote function there.
It's Uspring who seems to think that linearising data is a "distortion". I will try to sort it out.
Bored Chemist
Thu Sept 24 2015, 02:58PM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

Any more discussion of electrolytic cells is way off topic, and should be taken to another thread, the equivalent of 'see you outside in the car park'. Whether the general science car park or the chatting car park depends on the level of scientific exchange. If we are going to keep shifting the ground between whether it's hydrogen and oxygen gas at STP in stoichiometric ratio, or just hydrogen, produced by a cell (I'd expect different thresholds for those), then I think chatting would be the one to go for.

I did the experiment.

Link2

Your earlier assertion "Let's take the example (to be closer to Bored Chemist's field of ken) of an electrolytic cell, with dilute sulphuric acid and platinum electrodes*. .... Below roughly 1.7v, you cannot split a water molecule. " turns out not to be true.
You now seem to have moved the goal posts.
krenshala
Thu Sept 24 2015, 07:11PM
krenshala Registered Member #143 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 04:25PM
I've tested two of these LEDs in parallel (held against the 9v battery terminals by hand) and they light up just fine. So, based on the fact nobody has said otherwise I guess it means I will not need to add a resistor between the battery and the LED itself if I stick with just 9v. Next is to make sure it still lights up with all 10 in parallel (the worst case build).

I find it funny that most of the LED resistor calculators that I've found online flip out and claim my Vf value is "probably wrong" at 14V.
Conundrum
Fri Sept 25 2015, 07:09AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Its worth mentioning that blue LEDs can fail short, I now put resistors across mine in high reliability applications to mitigate against ESD.
Works for laser diodes too, a good value to start with is 4.7K or 4K7 which only uses <1mA at a typical Vf of the diode with a current limiting resistor or other current control mechanism feeding that.
Also just because it seems to work with two in parallel doesen't mean that it will not burn up with a fresh battery (learned that the hard way, use a resistor!!)

Most of the sellers use 47 or 100 ohms which with your setup and a plausible 1.7V drop from 9.8V in at 2.7V Vdiode would give an individual LED current of 54mA which is high but acceptable.
there will be some diode heating which could be significant as thermal runaway can damage them.

I've seen some circuits that use a 555 timer and MOSFET (cough road lamp /cough) to pulse the LED and reduce current drain, in fact used a variant of this on my christmas tree lights to get a tiny fraction of the normal current used for only maybe 20% drop in visibility.
Others have used a flickering candle diode between D and G of an N channel MOSFET and a variable resistor from G to S to tune for maximum flickerness (tm)
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: