Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
06/27 JLaz (30)
06/28 Alessandro (32)
06/28 Andrew L. (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Global Radiation monitoring system

Move Thread LAN_403
Mads Barnkob
Thu Jan 23 2014, 09:07PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
I moved the unit from a protective wooden box and it is now directly exposed to the weather in a water tight plastic pouch. The temperature dropped and so did the sensitivity of the tube, atleast the CPM fell about 1-2 cpm in average.
radhoo
Thu Jan 23 2014, 09:48PM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
Nice one, Mads. Don't forget to take photos of the two enclosures/setups - it would probably be interesting to see the differences, as the level drop is significant.
Mads Barnkob
Thu Jan 23 2014, 10:11PM
I only moved it from the drawer to the small post it is sitting on. Perhaps the Ikea furniture have radiation enhancing abilities. Could be the proximity to the brick wall... Not exactly a pretty installation, but what I had time for before weekend :)

I plan on moving it about a meter further away form the building when I get time to make a power supply cable that is long enough.

1390515078 1403 FT155675 Imag0284
Patrick
Thu Jan 23 2014, 10:11PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
how much do these SI-29BG tubes cost you each?

I am re-reading this entire thread, im willing to participate if the California pacific coast interests you.

my location:
243 meters above sea level. Pacific ocean is 166 km directly west.

EDIT: what would be really cool is to take one of these 100 meters above ground level in a UAV.
Shrad
Fri Jan 24 2014, 08:15AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
I'd also be willing to participate, but will need to consider things beforehands like tidying my mess etc...

if interested, I can help in plotting data variation on a map for a period of time, but a wider network would be needed over an area to achieve good interpolation
Conundrum
Sat Jan 25 2014, 01:49PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Wonder why there is such a profound effect on the tube from temperature?
Sure it isn't some other part drifting such as the zeners?

IIRC silicon is about -2mV per Celsius, could also be something in the HV circuit sensitive to humidity.

Re. UAV, I had that thought too.
I might hack together a small module with one of the new tubes and see how much the count increases with altitude.
Proud Mary
Sat Jan 25 2014, 02:35PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Mads Barnkob wrote ...

I moved the unit from a protective wooden box and it is now directly exposed to the weather in a water tight plastic pouch. The temperature dropped and so did the sensitivity of the tube, atleast the CPM fell about 1-2 cpm in average.

Why do you think that the sensitivity of the tube had dropped? One of the reasons that GM tubes have reamined popular despite their very basic character, is because they are quite insensitive to ambient changes.

Much more likely that your tube is detecting fewer particles because there a fewer particles to detect. Perhaps you should think of air temperature as being part of a weather process. It may be colder because the wind is blowing from a different direction, for example, so fewer radioactive airborne particulates are arriving at Haus Barnkop than happens when the wind is blowing from a contaminated area. The height of airborne particulate smogs will rise and fall with temperature and affect counting, as does the release of radon from rocks as cold weather splits them. Then there is the diurnal and semi-diurnal flux of solar cosmic rays which will certainly be very significant when you are talking about 1 - 2 cpm.

The re-suspension of Chernobyl particulates by high winds on Swedish mountains might also be carried aloft by northerly winds, but fall to the ground as precipitation before reaching Denmark when the temperature drops.

Marine pollution can be re-suspended in the air as waves break on shore, for example, giving another example of how a change of wind direction could alter counting rates inland, that might - or might not - be associated with a rise in air temperature.

The interaction of weather systems allows many possible scenarios in which a falling (or rising) air temperature may be associated with a lower or higher counting rate, but is not its cause.

Wind direction is, I think, a far more useful parameter than height above ground, which is constant, and tells us very little once the baseline has been established.
Conundrum
Sat Jan 25 2014, 03:41PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
My equipment did show a slight increase during the last large solar flare, and also during an intense thunderstorm.
It might also be worth adding an E field monitor so that this can be compensated for and logged.

Re. Altitude, what about a kite? Low tech but useful and on a windy but gust free day a box kite would be a reliable way to do tests.
Proud Mary
Sat Jan 25 2014, 03:54PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Conundrum wrote ...

My equipment did show a slight increase during the last large solar flare, and also during an intense thunderstorm.
It might also be worth adding an E field monitor so that this can be compensated for and logged.

Perhaps, but not nearly such a powerful explanatory tool as the wind direction and wind speed indications of a simple home weather station.

Conundrum wrote ...

Re. Altitude, what about a kite? Low tech but useful and on a windy but gust free day a box kite would be a reliable way to do tests.

Do you remember Benjamin Franklin's famous experiment with an electrified key:

"The kite being raised, a considerable time elapsed before there was any appearance of its being electrified. One very promising cloud had passed over it without any effect; when, at length, just as he was beginning to despair of his contrivance, he observed some loose threads of the hempen string to stand erect, and to avoid one another, just as if they had been suspended on a common conductor. Struck with this promising appearance, he immediately presented his knuckle to the key, and (let the reader judge of the exquisite pleasure he must have felt at that moment) the discovery was complete. He perceived a very evident electric spark. Others succeeded, even before the string was wet, so as to put the matter past all dispute, and when the rain had wet the string he collected electric fire very copiously. This happened in June 1752, a month after the electricians in France had verified the same theory, but before he heard of anything they had done."

Electrocuted somewhere in Guernsey.
Mads Barnkob
Sat Jan 25 2014, 07:39PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

Mads Barnkob wrote ...

Why do you think that the sensitivity of the tube had dropped? One of the reasons that GM tubes have reamined popular despite their very basic character, is because they are quite insensitive to ambient changes.

Much more likely that your tube is detecting fewer particles because there a fewer particles to detect. Perhaps you should think of air temperature as being part of a weather process. It may be colder because the wind is blowing from a different direction, for example, so fewer radioactive airborne particulates are arriving at Haus Barnkop than happens when the wind is blowing from a contaminated area. The height of airborne particulate smogs will rise and fall with temperature and affect counting, as does the release of radon from rocks as cold weather splits them. Then there is the diurnal and semi-diurnal flux of solar cosmic rays which will certainly be very significant when you are talking about 1 - 2 cpm.

That was my first thought at the time as I moved it from the wooden enclosure to the post and its temperature dropped over 10 degrees, the counting dropped at the same instant. But the counting also went up again without temperature changing when I moved it further away.

I suspect it could be the lead plates used at the edges of the roof construction that shielded the detector.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: