Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
09/29 Ultra7 (54)
09/29 uitvinderalex (36)
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Global Radiation monitoring system

Move Thread LAN_403
radhoo
Sat Feb 22 2014, 06:12PM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
I'll have a look on that as well.

Meanwhile here are a few more units, newly made, and just calibrated. Should anyone be needing one, let me know.

1393092766 1938 FT155675 Imag0293
radhoo
Wed Feb 26 2014, 08:56PM
A new uRADmonitor unit, 120000A, has become operational today, in Arad, Romania.

Before sending this unit out, it was carefully calibrated and verified against another unit. The background radiation level at my location in Timisoara, Romania where the tests were performed, was 0.11uSv/h.
300x150
(The first part of the chart corresponds to the exposure to the Thorite, as part of the calibration process, but the background radiation level can be seen to the right, where the Thorite sample was removed).
As the unit arrived at its destination, in Arad, Romania, I was surprised to see the live data shows a perceptible increase in radiation levels:
300x150
Complete details and measurements here .

Arad is only 50km to the North from Timisoara. All stations and live data can be seen here: http://www.uradmonitor.com. Thoughts on this?
Shrad
Wed Feb 26 2014, 09:08PM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
wouldn't it be interesting to know if the area is over a geologic split? if so, wouldn't continuous radon emission affect background radiation while going unnoticed?
radhoo
Tue Mar 11 2014, 09:15PM
@Shrad, I'd say those would impact the measurements as well, but had little time to check that info. Before sending the units out I do the final adjustments part of the calibration process. Usually I get a figure of 0.12uSv/h here, and it's a nice surprise to discover all the naturally occurring variations at the destination. And here is another example:

The second unit running on German soil has become operational today, in Augsburg, Germany. There's a report on it on my blog at: Link2
300x208
It currently measures an average of 0.15uSv/h, relatively higher then the other units currently in the network. Before sending it out, the calibration tests performed on the 11000008 in Timisoara gave results closer to the 0.12uSv/h figure, smaller then what it gets now. Also the Augsburg natural radiation background level seems to be higher than the one measured at only 100km to the South-East in Schechen, Germany, by the uRADMonitor station 12000008:
300x150 300x150
The 11000008 in Augsburg averages 0.15uSv/h for the last 24 hours, while the 1200008 in Schechen only reaches 0.13uSv/h . The real time data is available here.
radhoo
Tue Mar 11 2014, 10:02PM
And here are a few pics showing the 1200000A running in parallel with the expensive Gamma Scout dosimeter. The results measured by the 1200000A , currently at 0.14uSv/h, are in good concordance to the values displayed by the Gamma Scout:
300x199

300x199

300x140

This uRADMonitor unit has been calibrated in Timisoara, showing only 0.12uSV/h for the background radiation, yet at the place of destination, in Arad, it was able to measure the radiation correctly , and in good concordance with the Gamma Scout dosimeter: 0.14uSv/h
tobias
Wed Mar 12 2014, 12:45AM
tobias Registered Member #1956 Joined: Wed Feb 04 2009, 01:22PM
Can it be mounting/positioning differences?
Shrad
Wed Mar 12 2014, 09:39AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
atmospheric pressure? I don't think so as it would vary over time
altitude? maybe
gravity? field?
radhoo
Thu Mar 20 2014, 07:10PM
Unit #11000006 went online today, in Washington, USA.
300x132

Proud Mary, ready to receive your unit? The idea is I am planning to give out a free unit (including the shipping cost covered), for one of my forum colleagues that lives in the UK, and the first to come to my mind was Stella.

Chris Russell
Mon Apr 14 2014, 08:23PM
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
Just wanted to say that I've been following this for a while, and I'm looking forward to watching it progress. Hopefully someday I'll be able to get a monitor of my own set up!
Mads Barnkob
Mon Apr 14 2014, 08:34PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Shrad wrote ...

atmospheric pressure? I don't think so as it would vary over time
altitude? maybe
gravity? field?

tobias wrote ...

Can it be mounting/positioning differences?

As in my own case, I would say as Stella suggested, soil composition and building materials may account for the difference.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: