Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Carl A. Willis (44)

Next birthdays
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
10/03 TwirlyWhirly555 (32)
10/04 Michael W. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Anyone know where i can find a transformer to convert 240v AC 50hz to roughly 400V AC, 10-50W

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
jpoopdog
Thu Apr 18 2013, 12:47AM Print
jpoopdog Registered Member #6188 Joined: Wed Aug 15 2012, 08:34AM
Hi

i came up with a stupid simple idea for a coilgun charger, as i browsed ebay. I saw that its possible to buy a 75W 50W continuous inverter for $6-10.
That led me to think, this can convert up to 240v AC, it wouldnt be that much harder to get 400v, it would be very efficient, and relatively small enough for portable use. and it could be done for very little. im currently saving up for a decent soldering station, so until then i cant build the circuit i have in mind using my coilcraft inductor, but i want to do experimentations in coil design and general capacitor bank stuff ,using something like this, an inverter and transformer, inverter being safer than running off mains.

Problem now is i cant find any transformers that can do this,
does anyone know where i can find some relatively cheap transformers that can convert 240v to anywhere between 370v - 480v, anywhere from 10w - 50w? and still be reasonably sized that its practical to use in a portable design?

thanks
klugesmith
Thu Apr 18 2013, 03:17AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
From 240 volt (RMS) sinusoidal source, you can charge a cap to about 340 volts with a full wave bridge,
and to about 680 volts with a simple voltage doubler. Link2
I think the majority of 400 V rated capacitors in consumer products around you operate at around 340 V, with a reasonable and proper design margin.

Why do you want to use such high (and thus hazardous) voltages?
Electrolytic capacitor size, weight, and cost per joule are not very sensitive to the voltage rating.
A coilgun coil can be rewound with shorter and thicker wire, in the same volume,
to get the -same- magnetic performance and pulse timing with lower voltage and higher current.

Those inexpensive inverters put out a "modified sine wave",
whose RMS and peak voltages are supposed to roughly match those of mains at the same nominal voltage.
Peak voltage is what you care about.

An internet search for "modified sine wave" turns up many pictures whose peak voltage and duty cycle are drawn wrong. Get the cheap inverter and measure its actual peak voltage. Can do that by measuring the voltage on a small value capacitor charged with a single diode. Then you will already have half of the first voltage doubler configuration in link above. Try the same with a mains plug (and adult supervision).
If the cheap inverter is like mine, you can tweak the output voltage by changing a resistor inside -- maybe just by changing a trimpot adjustment.

jpoopdog
Thu Apr 18 2013, 06:12AM
interesting.

I knew that 240v in theory would still charge a capacitor that high, but i thought there would be problems/struggle with doing that using full wave DC. Also i was under the asumption that voltage doublers couldnt handle that much current.

The capacitors i have in mind are rated 330v, so this is good, though i have others pulled from ATX supplies or TV's i forget which one, which are rated 400v.

Ill buy the thing now and experiment with it, ill see if i can increase voltage by doing something like changing the frequency perhaps. Thanks
Steve Conner
Thu Apr 18 2013, 09:33AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Transformers like this are commonly used in industrial control panels. Link2
jpoopdog
Thu Apr 18 2013, 10:36PM
ok, so are there any downsides to using a voltage doubler? to get the voltage up? as in will it at all restrict current flow in any way?
Steve Conner
Fri Apr 19 2013, 09:57AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I think with a cheap inverter, you will want to restrict the current flow somewhat. If anything a voltage doubler wouldn't restrict it enough.
jpoopdog
Fri Apr 19 2013, 11:13PM
so voltage doubler is that efficient huh, wow.
why should i be limiting the current though?
Since ill likely be using NIcads, or at best a small SLA, either one cant produce the 75W max, i doubt they could even do 50W.

Ill be using a voltage comparator setup to switch the thing off once the target voltage is reached, plus ill have a cheapo volt meter on there also in order to calibrate the thing, ontop of seeing the voltage.

So explain why i should restrict the current?
PSCG
Sat Apr 20 2013, 08:04AM
PSCG Registered Member #3792 Joined: Sun Mar 27 2011, 06:07PM
Can we adapt this circuit as a "variable" current limiter?

1366444928 3792 FT1630 Spark Eliminator Circuit

The idea is that it takes some time to charge the capacitor C1 (depending upon C1 and R1, R2)
and reach the threshold where T1 will start conducting.

DC - AC converters are designed for a maximum load and with protection against short circuiting and overload. If a discharged capacitor is connected to the output, it will show up as a short circuit , possibly triggering the protection. So, every time you try to charge the main capacitor, it will "lock up" and require to cycle it off and on.
Fraggle
Sat Apr 20 2013, 03:50PM
Fraggle Registered Member #1526 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:56AM
Got a nice core if you want to wind...
jpoopdog
Sun Apr 21 2013, 12:19PM
no thanks.

Hey ive been wondering. since a discharged capacitor will act as a short, what if i use the 12v input to charge the cap to 12v before the inverter takes over? would that have any effect at all?
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: