Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Terrorhertz (15)

Next birthdays
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
10/03 TwirlyWhirly555 (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Rf Power supply @ 4kV

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Thu Mar 14 2013, 12:06AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Noah Hoppis wrote ...

Still stumbling about the RF though...

Me too. Here's a link to my first thread on this forum: Link2

It may give you some insight into what's probably required for your project. smile

EDIT: It does go slightly off-topic here and there, but it's still worth reading.

EDIT: It even contains a schematic for a 13.56MHz, 1kW, ~4kV Hartley oscillator (which I'd forgotten). (On page 2, courtesy of Proud Mary)
Noah Hoppis
Thu Mar 14 2013, 05:01AM
Noah Hoppis Registered Member #10072 Joined: Thu Feb 14 2013, 05:12AM
I liked that thread, now I have something to aspire to length wise ;) . I guess after asking several people what I really need is crash course in RF amps. I really haven't found any introductory level info, but I really need ground up basics on power vacuum tube amps, IE schematics of basic class A,AB,B and B push pull, amps with real world explanations. I apologize if I just asked for the world. I tend to do that...
klugesmith
Thu Mar 14 2013, 06:26AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
I'm sure the cyclotron guys are keeping an eye on the cyclotron frequency.
Assuming you are accelerating protons, and I did my arithmetic right---
to use 27.2 MHz you would need a 1.8 tesla magnetic field.
13.56 MHz would need only 0.9 T, so the electromagnet power requirement would be 4 times less.

What's a popular field strength on the cyclotron forum?
Anybody using dangerously large and strong permanent magnets?

Ash Small
Thu Mar 14 2013, 11:10AM
klugesmith wrote ...

I'm sure the cyclotron guys are keeping an eye on the cyclotron frequency.
Assuming you are accelerating protons, and I did my arithmetic right---
to use 27.2 MHz you would need a 1.8 tesla magnetic field.
13.56 MHz would need only 0.9 T, so the electromagnet power requirement would be 4 times less.

What's a popular field strength on the cyclotron forum?
Anybody using dangerously large and strong permanent magnets?

Those figures, 0.9T and 1.8T do sound familiar, I've read a bit about small cyclotrons, but only really took notice of any information that might be useful/relevant to my ESLA project (I am planning on using ECR (electron cyclotron resonance) in my ion source, but the figures for electrons @2.45GHz is ~0.0875T, but this apparently has to be adjusted for relativistic reasons, or something, not quite got my head around that bit yet). I did link to 'a wealth of information' on the subject earlier in this thread. I assume it's the 'available' frequencies of 13.56 and 27.2MHz that you'd probably have to use.

The link to the 13.56MHz, 1kW, ~4kV Hartley oscillator article (originally posted by Proud Mary) is here, for anyone who doesn't want to wade through my thread on RF: Link2 It uses a single 3CX1200A7 valve/vacuum tube.

Schematic is here:

1363262929 3414 FT1630 Schematic

Noah Hoppis wrote ...

I liked that thread, now I have something to aspire to length wise ;) . I guess after asking several people what I really need is crash course in RF amps. I really haven't found any introductory level info, but I really need ground up basics on power vacuum tube amps, IE schematics of basic class A,AB,B and B push pull, amps with real world explanations. I apologize if I just asked for the world. I tend to do that...

At least now you're getting somewhere, and you have a better idea of what's involved.

EDIT: I've been doing a bit of reading on Cyclotrons.net.

"Usually beam currents are on the order of microamps at most."

The Rutgers cyclotron (9") operates @13.56MHz and 0.889T.

"The magnet weighs 1780 pounds, it requires 40 volts at 168 amps, 7Kilowatts, to produce the maximum field of 1.2 Tesla. Only 28 volts at 114 amps, 3.2 kW, is required at the operating value of 0.889 Tesla. Water cooling is used to remove the heat generated by the coils, the inlet pressure is approximately 38 PSI and flow rate is no less than 4 GPM. The pressure is controlled with an inline pressure regulator and the flow "

"The transmatch may be recorded as the most home-brewed system of this cyclotron. It utilizes the lumped capacitance of the DEE, which is approximately 70pF, to create a tank circuit out of the chamber itself. Using the resonance equation for an inductor in parallel with a capacitor............ L, the inductance, was chosen to bring the fr to resonance at 13.56 MHz. Initially, coarse tuning was to create an 8 turn coil of length 5 inches, with a cross sectional area of 2.14 inches2, out of ¼-inch copper refrigeration tubing. The coil was then mounted in an RF tight enclosure known as the RF cabinet. One end of the coil was connected to the protruding DEE stem, while the other end of the coil is connected to chamber ground. Another coil of copper tubing larger in cross sectional area, of only three turns, is mounted co-axially about the first coil. The outer coil constitutes the primary while the inner coil makes up the secondary of the transformer. Adjustable taps were then placed on the primary to locate the 50W loading point. Second order tuning was accomplished empirically. Either expanding or compressing the coil changed the inductance thereby altering fr. Fine tuning was completed at the driving oscillator. Cooling became a necessity when the RF power began to heat the secondary coil such that thermal expansion changed the tank fr. General Electric Dielectrol transformer oil is pumped through the ¼ inch tubing of the secondary."
Noah Hoppis
Thu Mar 14 2013, 07:16PM
Updated schematic!!!!! I am fairly certain that I have a new working schematic operating in push pull...
Project1
klugesmith
Thu Mar 14 2013, 07:44PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Noah Hoppis wrote ...

Updated schematic!!!!! I am fairly certain that I have a new working schematic operating in push pull...
Project1

How does the lower triode work with a negative voltage on the plate?
Ash Small
Thu Mar 14 2013, 09:50PM
The schematic I posted above has been proven to work @50% efficiency. The tube costs @$1000 new, but there are cheaper alternatives that will probably work ok eg 8877, etc. , and I'm sure you could find a second hand one much cheaper from the 'usual sources'.

Why spend ages trying to design your own RF supply, when you can just copy a simple design like the Hartley oscillator I posted above?

Noah Hoppis
Thu Mar 14 2013, 10:11PM
I though an amp would be easier seeing as one could get a RF signal generator at a ham fest for ~20$. I also though that most generators didn't supply both sides of the sine, above and below 0v. would the Hartley provide variability as well? I need to be able to tune the frequency.
Noah Hoppis
Thu Mar 14 2013, 10:30PM
And better yet (sorry for double posting) could I use a GU-5B?
Noah Hoppis
Thu Mar 14 2013, 10:37PM
and triple post. Gi 39B? ( keep off it (it's mine!!!!))
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: