All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

450KV 225nF marx bank questions

1 2 3
Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Sat Mar 09 2013, 09:25PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
colin heath wrote ...

should this beast be inside a faraday cage? my suspicion is yes.

EasternVoltageResearch wrote ...

I build several marx generators about 10 years ago and only used something like 3300pF per stage, but it was enough to take out the TV, cablebox, alarm system, and thermostats in my home from a single fire

you'll need a shielded room to fire it in. Thats why all those HV labs in the universities are built in GIANT shield rooms.

A 200nF saltwater capacitor charged using a DC flyback is enough to take out nearby electronics. The monitor I used to charge it was killed by the EMP, and my stereo developed some 'idiosyncracies'.

Would a Faraday cage be no use whatsoever?
teravolt
Sun Mar 10 2013, 03:24AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
Those caps are leathal and if you decide to use them each cap should be shorted individualy with a 8ft shorting stick using goggles and ear plugs. Your stick should have a resistor to disapate the energy when you short a cap. The problem is if one of your charging resistors open then you can have portions of the marx still charged that can't be crowbard. The EMP can't be dismissed and I would not fire it in a residensial eria. I stoped at 800kv because it was getting hevey and tall (3.5M). Fireing it out side would probly bring the cops. However I still want to build it.
colin heath
Sun Mar 10 2013, 08:43PM
colin heath Registered Member #123 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 12:58PM
Ash Small wrote ...

colin heath wrote ...

should this beast be inside a faraday cage? my suspicion is yes.

EasternVoltageResearch wrote ...

I build several marx generators about 10 years ago and only used something like 3300pF per stage, but it was enough to take out the TV, cablebox, alarm system, and thermostats in my home from a single fire

you'll need a shielded room to fire it in. Thats why all those HV labs in the universities are built in GIANT shield rooms.

A 200nF saltwater capacitor charged using a DC flyback is enough to take out nearby electronics. The monitor I used to charge it was killed by the EMP, and my stereo developed some 'idiosyncracies'.

Would a Faraday cage be no use whatsoever?

This is what i am now looking into! The main i need to know, if possible to calculate is the frequency band needed to protect against RF and what would be effective and containing the magnetic field. I have no idea what frequency this would create but would be quite broad spectrum noise I would imagine. As for the magnetic field i can go search the work of all the doomsday preppers :D
colin heath
Sun Mar 10 2013, 08:47PM
colin heath Registered Member #123 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 12:58PM
teravolt wrote ...

Those caps are leathal and if you decide to use them each cap should be shorted individualy with a 8ft shorting stick using goggles and ear plugs. Your stick should have a resistor to disapate the energy when you short a cap. The problem is if one of your charging resistors open then you can have portions of the marx still charged that can't be crowbard. The EMP can't be dismissed and I would not fire it in a residensial eria. I stoped at 800kv because it was getting hevey and tall (3.5M). Fireing it out side would probly bring the cops. However I still want to build it.

I was going to use a piece of wire with some extra insulation tape around it ;)

In all seriousness the safety is whats driving building this or not. trouble is I cannot think of anything else worthy of these caps at moment???
 1 2 3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: