Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Electricity from Fire

1 2 3
Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Sun Jan 27 2013, 05:47PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
For maximum efficency the magnetic field should be perpendicular to the flame jet, and the electrodes at right angles to the magnetic field i.e. a cross section through the flame channel should be a rectangle, with the magnetic poles forming top and bottom, and the electrodes the sides.

@Reaching:
I reckon you need a picoammeter.
Reaching
Sun Jan 27 2013, 05:58PM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
hihi, yeah, but if i have to measure in picoamps, then it is not useful at all and not worth for further experiments^^
Ash Small
Sun Jan 27 2013, 06:48PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Reaching wrote ...

hihi, yeah, but if i have to measure in picoamps, then it is not useful at all and not worth for further experiments^^

You should obtain more current with more flame, as more ions will be present (at least, I assume this is the case. Also, supermagnets exert a greater force if they are stacked. I'll see if I can find mine, and a blowtorch.

EDIT: Well, I finally found some, stuck to a filing cabinet in the shed, I also found two aluminium sheets, about 8" X10", wrapped two pairs of SMCo magnets in insulating tape, fixed them to one of the Al sheets, about 3" apart, oriented north pole to south pole, placed some bits of lego on the plate, then rested the second plate on the lego, and connected my DMM, set to volts.

The voltage started to rise immediately, which I thought was strange (sometimes the meter fluctuates a bit, but it was just rising), so I shorted the plates with a teaspoon that was on the table. The meter dropped, and fluctuated between 0 and 0.1mV. I removed the teaspoon and the voltage started to rise again, so it seems there are ions floating around my kitchen, and the plates are acting like a capacitor. The voltage rose to ~150mV, it was still rising, but more slowly. I repeated this a few times, just to ensure repeatability.

I then lit my blowtorch on a low setting, and brought it near the space between the plates, and the voltage shot up. It dropped again when I removed the blowtorch. When I turned the blowtorch up, and brought it back to the gap between the plates, the voltage shot up further , to over 300mV, then the insulating tape holding the magnets in place started to melt, so I stopped.

Some current must be flowing through the meter, and discharging the plates, but it seems there are a lot of ions floating around in my kitchen even without the flame.

I just need to devise a better way of holding the magnets in place, before continuing using the blowtorch.

EDIT: I believe the explanation for the flow of air between the horizontal plates which were overhanging the edge of my kitchen table is heat from the four halogen lamps above my kitchen table causing convection currents, but I had no idea there were so many ions present in it. Other sources may have contributed to the convection currents, ie aga, etc.
Josh Campbell
Mon Jan 28 2013, 01:08AM
Josh Campbell Registered Member #5258 Joined: Sun Jun 10 2012, 10:15PM
A halbach array would probably be the best choice here since the magnetic field is augmented on one side. I have a few decent sided ones made from 1/2" NdFeB from a maglev project, I'll dig them up and try a similar setup.

Also it would be interesting to try this with actual plasma since fire is a very weak plasma if that. Conductivity is a typical characteristic of plasmas, and air is not sufficiently ionized by fire to be able to measure any electrical conductivity which is on reason there is debate over a typical atmospheric fire being plasma or not. Maybe replace the metal plates with graphite or shield them with quarts or a layer of cooling air.

I'm working on an RF/ICP (Inductively Coupled Plasma) torch high, a frequency induction heater to generate plasma from argon for another project (ICP-AES). When it's finished I will definitely circle back to this and try something similar. I'm not sure if plasma generated by high voltage arcs or a plasma speaker could be used due to the high voltage present mucking up the results.
 1 2 3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: