Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Wireless energy via IR

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Conundrum
Mon Jan 14 2013, 06:42PM Print
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Hi all,
This is an ongoing experimental project to determine how much useful power can be sent approximately 30 feet from an upstairs window frame to my electric bike.

So far I've sourced two 3W IR LEDs, that are 940nm which is very close to the peak efficiency of PSC's according to the manufacturer's graphs.
The plan is to use a pair of fisheye lenses sourced from broken projectors for the two diodes, space them about 1 foot apart on their own heatsinks with silicone on all the delicate wiring and cool them passively with convection.
By pulsing them at approx 200ms on, 800ms off and alternating the drives there is a chance that 5.5W CW system power can usefully be achieved without adversely affecting the lifetime.

On the Rx end I plan to use 19% efficient "seconds" PCS cells connected as a series bank outputting 45V O/C at between 300 and 500mA.
Then charging up a capacitor and discharging it into a test load (ie 3 Pb-acid cells) as this seems to be the most efficient method according to several online sources.

As the "dump" power is essentially constant cycle to cycle, a simple Rx pulse counter should be enough to determine power transfer efficiency.

Comments?
Sulaiman
Mon Jan 14 2013, 07:57PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I've been 'playing' with 1W 940nm and 3W 850nm eBay/Chinese leds
and lenses (mostly 127mm dia. glass from old bench light/magnifiers)
for optical communications;
I doubt that pulsing the leds will be of any benefit for wireless power transfer because;
1) optical output power increases linearly with led CURRENT but as the maximum current is approached the optical watts per amp reduces
2) as current increases so does voltage/electrical power/heat due to internal resistance of diodes
3) optical efficiency decreases with increasing die temperature.
The nett result is that for communications there IS benefit in pwm etc.
BUT for power transfer CW will be the most efficient AND most power output.

Beam divergence of the led output will be quite large unless a fairly large diameter/area lens is used in conjunction with a small high power lens near the emitter
(mine are +/- 60 degree)
Power reception also needs a fairly large lens, glass lenses are good,
Fresnel lenses are bigger/cheaper.

P.S. Hacking a microwave oven into a transmitter would give greater power
AND act as an anti-theft device !

P.P.S. What is a PCS cell ?
klugesmith
Mon Jan 14 2013, 10:11PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Both of you,
please figure where your IR projects stand with respect to eye safety limits.
The hazard is painless retinal injury to someone in the near-IR beam,
who happens to look in the general direction of the source without protection by visual reflex.

It's easy to find numbers and discussion of the safety limits. For example,
Link2

Conundrum
Tue Jan 15 2013, 05:45AM
My understanding is that the IR output of these diodes is substantially lower than a heat lamp which is known not to cause damage.

Also they are used extensively as security "invisible" lamps and are sold as such, they even do 100W IR emitters and TTBOMK there have been no issues with either these or standard multidiode units..

One way I could reduce the risk is to add power feedback and beam steering, using a 0.3mW IR laser (eye safe, used in optical mice) shining from the centre of the solar cell array with a modulated beam.
If anything gets in the way of the beam or there is some anomaly it drops power down to 5% until the obstruction is cleared.
Sulaiman
Tue Jan 15 2013, 07:52PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I'm not concerned because the mode that I'm experimenting with is
back-scatter from the sky/clouds with significant transmit beam divergence
so no danger to anyone other than a careless operator (me).
klugesmith
Tue Jan 15 2013, 09:03PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
My point was that if it's safe to stare into the IR source from up close, it would not be easy to collect substantial power from it far away. Perhaps OK with a wide but low-divergence beam. Transmitter could use a large-area collimating lens or mirror; receiver could use a large PV array or large, well-aimed optical concentrator.

How wide is wide enough for eye safety?
Let's play with radiometric units, starting with numerical values from the OP.
Suppose we want to get 1 watt of electricity from 20% efficient PV array spanning a whole square meter (or at the focus of a 1+ m^2 optical concentrator).
Irradiance at receiver must be 5 W/m^2. That's about 1/2 percent of noon sunlight. If all that power were pure white light, the illuminance would be 1250 lux. That's about 1.3% of noon sunlight, a very bright level for indoor task lighting.

A source 30 feet away must have radiant intensity of 418 watts/steradian (105,000 candlepower if pure white light).
If the source were 8 cm in diameter, then from 30 feet away it would match the apparent diameter of the sun. If uniformly bright, its radiance would be 84 kW/steradian/m^2 (200 times less than that of the sun's disk). If pure white light, the source luminance would be 21 million cd/m^2 (1.3% of sun).

But it's all 940 nm, invisible to the eye. Whether 0.5 or 1.3 percent of sun, I bet that's well over regulatory and common-sense limits, for places where people could look at the source with unprotected, dark-adapted eyes. Putting some very intense visible lights next to the IR source might reduce the practical (and regulatory) hazard.

Respectfully,
Rich

p.s. Yes, there are IRED arrays for IR "illumination" (strictly speaking, irradiation) of large areas. (Filtered incandescent lamps can do the same at lower cost.) But just as with visible light, the irradiance levels to support vision and photography don't support charging electric vehicles with PV arrays of practical size.

[edit] Care to share the diameter and beam angle (or datasheet) for your 3W IRED's? We can figure the viewing distances to match the irradiance and the source radiance in my example. Then you could contemplate looking into the beam, in the dark, at those distances. smile
Fiddy
Wed Jan 16 2013, 01:49AM
Fiddy Registered Member #8817 Joined: Mon Dec 17 2012, 05:16AM
i have a 1.7W (3W diode) 808nm multimode handheld laser that would be better, it has horrible divergence for a diode laser but allot better than a led.

little video if divergence under NV:

Link2
Conundrum
Wed Jan 16 2013, 07:47AM
120 degree angle without the separate lens,

It appears that as usual they have avoided regulatory hassle by selling the unit as a "general purpose security light source" so without the lens the beam should be harmless at about 4 feet based on divergence and inverse square law.
Shrad
Wed Jan 16 2013, 08:14AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
there are 940nm laser diodes available

the best would be a fiber pigtailed 830nm laser diode as a fiber makes a gaussian beam with those single emitter laser diodes (plus they have integrated TEC)
Conundrum
Mon Jan 21 2013, 07:27AM
Tried it with a 10W solar cell and an unknown wattage IR "security" panel, that has a few dud LEDs.

14V at 3.8mA, 3 feet away.

Either this security light is fried big time (can see some red glow but the LEDs are "patchy" ) or the solar cell isn't as sensitive to 780nm as 940nm.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: