Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Large Quadrotor FPV.

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Chris Cristini
Tue Nov 20 2012, 05:39PM Print
Chris Cristini Registered Member #1749 Joined: Fri Oct 10 2008, 02:04AM
My Project idea is to make it with.
4 17x8 Props
4 410 kv Motors Link2
4 100A Electronic Speed Controllers that Come with the motors
1 KK2 Flight controller board Link2
And for Starters I am just going to use x2 12v 10 aH sla Batteries And this Cheap 4 Channel Transmitter and receiver Link2
I also need to use a Voltage Regulator For the KK2 Flight controller. My plan for the frame starts off with an old Glass Table frame.
I also have a question about thrust the motors Specs state that they can put out 6520g of thrust Can I multiply that by 4 to get accurate Lift Potential of 26080g about 57 LBS Minus the weight of the Craft. For starters this will Cost just Under $500 not bad for Something of this size.

I forgot to Mention the fact I can only find CCW props But i need CW and CCW to counter react Rotor mass.

I know the size and weight of this project will have a whole lot more mass than this video Link2 but do you think the KK2 will react the same for this.

And this O.T but cool Link2

I think PVC will do Better than a Steel Frame.
Killa-X
Tue Nov 20 2012, 08:46PM
Killa-X Registered Member #1643 Joined: Mon Aug 18 2008, 06:10PM
Sounds like a nice build, hope to see great process, love FPV.

I can't answer your thrust question but what Ghz video transmitter do you plan on using? And what wattage? Assuming you plan to video fly this thing like I typically do :)
Chris Cristini
Tue Nov 20 2012, 11:56PM
Well I am Not sure about Video thing yet I am just building the Basics for now
I am Planning on Adding.
Gopro FPV system or I can try Wifi PTZ camera like this one Link2 and some sort of WIFI extender.
GPS system with the ability of control from your computer with Game pad Link2
And some other stuff I am still thinking of things I could do I am going to have to wait for Income tax return to start this Project. I am also going to build a cheap Mini PC with an 16" touch monitor and put it all in a nice Suit case for a ground Station.
How do you measure Speed of an air craft?
Patrick
Wed Nov 21 2012, 01:35AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
copy cat !

i kid , ikid, its good to see another flyer on the forum, but i in the strongest possible terms warn you to reconsider your poor choice in radio...
Chris Cristini
Wed Nov 21 2012, 04:00AM
But I have a budget haha. I however would like one of these Link2 I am also working On a mock up PVC frame with Solid Works I know its kinda cheap looking but I have only worked on it for less than 10 Minutes so far
I have been Thinking this thing Using 24V @ 10 Ah is only going to stay off the ground for a few Minutes and large enough LiPo Batteries are going to cost a fortune if I want to use it for Surveillance or something useful I should scale it up a bit and use Four 30cc Trimmer engines and replace the Brush less motors with throttle servos and make it with a 3 or 4 gallon fuel tank each engine would have electric start and a tiny generator also should come up with an exhaust system that would have a manifold connecting all the engines and make it less noisy.
Steve Conner
Wed Nov 21 2012, 11:01AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I don't think SLA batteries are capable of lifting their own weight, you'll have to use Lipos.
Chris Cristini
Wed Nov 21 2012, 03:03PM
Well that is why I am trying to figure out if thrust can work as lift Because the motors can produce Potential of 26080g about 57 LBS of thrust and the 2 batteries are only 14 LBS together.
Steve Conner
Wed Nov 21 2012, 03:08PM
Sure, but how much current does it take to produce that 6520g of thrust? I'm going to guess it corresponds to the "Burst Watts" spec of 2300W, which is about 100A at 24V. So your 4 motors all together will need 400A at 24V to make that 57lbs of thrust.

I doubt a cheap 12V, 10Ah SLA can provide even 100A for any length of time. You get "rapid discharge" ones intended for UPSs, these might give better results. But Lipos aren't really that expensive nowadays.
Chris Cristini
Wed Nov 21 2012, 03:43PM
Ok will my 15 2400Mah LiIon cells from laptop packs make a suitable pack if I use 6 in series for 22.2V and Another 6 in parallel to make 22.2V @ 4.8 Ah wont last long. But if the SLA Batteries Have a melt down it would be fun to watch. I will check out LiPo batteries again. My Lithium Ion Batteries are like these ones Link2
Steve Conner
Wed Nov 21 2012, 04:02PM
No, laptop pack cells aren't designed for rapid discharge, you'll just destroy them.

To answer your original question, the thrust figure should be equivalent to lift.
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: