Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/20 Vaxian (17)
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Element Collection

Move Thread LAN_403
Chris Cristini
Tue Nov 20 2012, 04:55PM
Chris Cristini Registered Member #1749 Joined: Fri Oct 10 2008, 02:04AM
Electrikid221MnM wrote ...

I bought a book recently, "The Elements" by Theodore Gray (or Grey) which inspired me to start collecting samples of the elements up to 95, and even some elements up to 86 can be pretty nasty if not stored correctly, so certain elements I will probably just have items related to them. I've already obtained Aluminum, Silicon, Phosphorous, Calcium, Iron, Copper, Germanium, Krypton, Cerium, Neodymium, Europium (CFL's), Tungsten, Gold, Lead, and .9 microcuries of Americium (Ionization Smoke Detector) sealed into a case with gold film. I did not remove it from the casing, because then I would be exposed to radioactivity. Element collecting is a very fun thing to do mainly because you know you have one of the materials that are the bricks and cement of the universe.
1353246664 4172 FT0 Image

I found this Might be helpful Information for you.

How do people come in contact with americium-241?

Exposure to any significant amount of Am-241 is unlikely under normal circumstances.

People may be directly exposed to gamma radiation from americium-241 by walking on contaminated land. They may also be exposed to both alpha and gamma radiation by breathing in americium contaminated dust, or drinking contaminated water. Because americium-241 was widely dispersed globally during the testing of nuclear weapons, only very minute amounts of it are found in the soil, plants, and water. Living near a weapons testing or production facility may increase your chance of exposure to americium-241.

Smoke detectors containing Am-241 also provide some radiation exposure. However, the radiation exposure people receive from a smoke detector is very low. The health risk reduction from the fire protection vastly outweighs the health risk from the radiation. That said, you should still handle smoke detectors containing americium with care. To avoid exposure:
never dismantle a smoke detector
never burn a smoke detector in your fireplace

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission, which regulates the radioactive material in smoke detectors, permits their disposal as ordinary trash.
Physics Junkie
Wed Nov 21 2012, 06:09PM
Physics Junkie Registered Member #7267 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2012, 12:16AM
Hey this is a really cool idea! Some of the other more easily obtainable elements might be like carbon, lithium, magnesium , potassium, helium, etc.. Even on a budget they can be found in vitamins you might have around your house, helium balloons are cheap but we all on know balloons dont last very last very long. If you live in an area with hard water you could always dissolve a bunch from the tap and see what you get! Happy hunting the elements!
Josh Campbell
Wed Nov 21 2012, 09:27PM
Josh Campbell Registered Member #5258 Joined: Sun Jun 10 2012, 10:15PM
It would be cool to have the elements in a wall mount case with the periodic table behind each section. Something like this Link2
Myke
Thu Nov 22 2012, 06:13PM
Myke Registered Member #540 Joined: Mon Feb 19 2007, 07:49PM
There's this thing that's pretty cool: Link2
Also some stuff here: Link2
Josh Campbell
Fri Nov 23 2012, 06:53AM
Myke wrote ...

Also some stuff here: Link2

That's exactly what I had in mind. Cool stuff.
Can you imagine an earthquake or kid knocking that over and mixing the wrong elements though...
Chris Cristini
Fri Nov 23 2012, 04:24PM
Chris Cristini Registered Member #1749 Joined: Fri Oct 10 2008, 02:04AM
I had large amounts of Mercury from all kinds of tilt sensors but then I learned all about the effects on Mercury and Neurons in the brain so I trashed all of it Be careful with what you mess around with It could lead to serious problems that will last the rest of your life. I don't recommend doing this Link2
Josh Campbell
Fri Nov 23 2012, 05:49PM
Just about everything on this forum has some type of health hazard associated with it. As with any project, educate yourself on the effects of each component of that project. In this case you have a lot of MSDSs to read!

Also the alpha particles emitted from Americium are not stopped by foil, it the harmful γ-radiation that you would want to worry about. However the isotope used in most detecters emits a negligible amount of gamma radiation (sorry hulk).

And Americium decays into neptunium-237 so if you have Americium you also have a small percentage of neptunium-237 depending on it's age.

1353692932 5258 FT146717 Img 4560 1353692933 5258 FT146717 Img 4558 1353692933 5258 FT146717 Img 4562 1353692933 5258 FT146717 Img 4561
HV Enthusiast
Sun Nov 25 2012, 06:00PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Cool project!!!

How are you going to store the gases??? cheesey

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: