Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

"The HOG" Supersized QCWDRSSTC

Move Thread LAN_403
Tetris
Fri Nov 16 2012, 05:59AM
Tetris Registered Member #4016 Joined: Thu Jul 21 2011, 01:52AM
If QCW sparks are "safe" to touch, and DRSSTC sparks are deadly, where does your soon-to-be-built coil fall in the "safe" range?
Goodchild
Fri Nov 16 2012, 06:51AM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
a positive tempco is a good thing to look for, but it wont just cuase load shedding to the other bridges, it will accerlerate the heating, even at the same or lower power. As for derating, thats your best bet for controlling this situation. over spec the components and under power the system.

You can also back-calculate the thermal resistance from temp rise, and predict your power red line.

This is what we plan to do as I said before. That is why we have 8 bridges, we don't plan to run the snot out of the IGBTs but rather run them at a reasonable leave at a little lower than datasheet spec. For the thermal calculations we have already done this falls well within this operating margin.

A single 3/8" line is a little on the small side, but it is amazing what having a decent pump (a few gpm at 50psi is what I usually see) can do to make up for lack of area on the waterblock. I started out using elaborate waterblocks designed for cpu watercooling, and when I saw the cooling channels in my big laser ( ) I thought it had no chance of working, but the 500w of heat over the roughly 5in^2 of copper/water area is enough and keeps it at about 5 degrees above the water temperature.

In any case it looks like an amazing project, can't wait to see the sparks!

Well that is promising for us considering each bridge only dishes out about 267W in heat at full power. And we have similar pump specs. We also plan to have a radiator system on the coil as well to help keep the water at a little about room temp.

If QCW sparks are "safe" to touch, and DRSSTC sparks are deadly, where does your soon-to-be-built coil fall in the "safe" range?

The short answer is that they would probably not kill you but I'm not willing to stake my life on it considering the massive amount of pulsed power this coil will dish out per burst.

DRSSTC sparks are also not deadly (i'm still living to tell the tale), they just hurt a heck of a lot more. Not entirely sure why.
teravolt
Fri Nov 16 2012, 05:10PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
hi Eric if you plan to use the fets in a SSOA 100A is at 25C. you could solder some brass studs in a 1/8 copper plate and solder a water jacket around the copper sheet or solder lots of tubing to it
Patrick
Fri Nov 16 2012, 05:38PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
given what "..." siad goodchild might be able to calculate a single holes' surface area and get a high enough thermal transfer with low thermal resistance, with a few GPM. that would be easier than anything else.

but Goodchild, are you using multiple fluid circuits or just one fluid path from you primary to the bridges? are your transistors internallt isolated from the tab or are you using the mica/silicone isolators extrernally?

Intra
Sat Nov 17 2012, 07:49PM
Intra Registered Member #2694 Joined: Mon Feb 22 2010, 11:52PM
where you found 10Kv 5.6nF high RMS current MICA caps? google tell nothing about it((
Goodchild
Sat Nov 17 2012, 09:19PM
As for our water cooling design we know that it's not an "optimal" design, but the fact remains we used materials we have on hand. We also don't plan to run the bridges at any extreme levels so out current design fall into the spec we plan to run at.

The MICA caps are from Link2

Jrz126
Sat Nov 17 2012, 10:57PM
Jrz126 Registered Member #242 Joined: Thu Feb 23 2006, 11:37PM
Looks good.

Any fancy scheme for driving the gates?
Goodchild
Sun Nov 18 2012, 02:34AM
Jrz126 wrote ...

Looks good.

Any fancy scheme for driving the gates?

The gate dive will be GDT but with a twist, because the two sides of the half bridge are not 180 out of phase like a normal DR we will be using two GDTs one for each half bridge. Each bridge unit has it's own driver and OCD circuitry and they all link back to a main controller via a fiber optic link that sends gate dive signals. The main controller has all the circuitry for timing and modulation along with yet another fiber input for an analog input that will be used as the reference to set the overall modulation level.

When we get our final PCBs designed I will update the thread with some photos.
tobias
Mon Nov 19 2012, 04:12AM
tobias Registered Member #1956 Joined: Wed Feb 04 2009, 01:22PM
Hi Eric

Really nice work!
Are you using SolidWorks? If you are, adding "Exploded Line Sketch" lines can make your Exploded View look even nicer =)
Goodchild
Mon Nov 19 2012, 08:21AM
I indeed am using SolidWorks, and I did have the line sketch but it made it look so cluttered.... So many lines for so many parts.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: