All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Condesation/Fractional distillation of air

Move Thread LAN_403
IamSmooth
Tue Feb 05 2013, 09:15PM
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
Just an update. I am on my 3rd modification. I have increased the cooling tower size and modified the collection system. I may have to make another change to improve the cool-down rate. I just tested it and I can cool 20 deg F every 7 minutes. At this rate I can get to -321 in under two hours. If I change my collection chamber the way I envision I should be able to shave another 30 minutes.

I also got an RTD probe that accurately measures down to -321F. I already tested in some liquid N2.

1360098899 190 FT144039 Img 2305

IamSmooth
Sat Mar 23 2013, 08:09PM
So here is my update:

I am at an impasse. I have successfully cooled to liquifying temperature in 1:45, averaging about 3.5 degrees farenheit / minute. When I opened my collecting valve I could see the mist of liquified air escaping the tube. However, I do not seem to be able to collect enough to see actual liquid; I just see the mist of the liquid as it evaporates. I am not able to liquify enough in my collecting chamber.

I believe the problem is two-fold. Despite my efforts to pack the chamber in insulation, it is not as good as a vacuum. When I pour liquid nitrogen into a dewar the bubbles from boiling almost completely stop. When I pour some into my collecting chamber there is still some bubbling at the drain, which goes to my metal valve. I have packed this valve in closed-cell polyisocyanurate. Second, I believe the throttle is blowing over the liquid and dispersing it into my regenerative stream.

I am not sure how to deal with these issues. I certainly don't have the equipment to make a vacuum chamber, and I still need to have a means of emptying the chamber. Any suggestions?

I found a company that sells small cyrogenic throttle systems. Maybe they will be kind enough to give me some advice.
IamSmooth
Tue Apr 23 2013, 08:46PM
Link2

Well, I finally got to a point where I could collect a small amount of liquid air. At the end you can hear it working its way through the tubing, and you can see it at the bottom of the dewar. I have a few modifications I want to try to increase the yield.
Sigurthr
Tue Apr 23 2013, 09:34PM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
Your link doesn't work, it just takes me to my uploaded videos page.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread for quite some time, I'm eager to see your progress!
IamSmooth
Tue Apr 23 2013, 09:48PM
Link2

Lets see if this works
IamSmooth
Sat Sept 28 2013, 06:13PM
I have re-started working on my project as the outside temperature is a little cooler now. I am almost done with my second phase, which is the construction of a pressure swing absorber. I have gotten almost 99% pure nitrogen out using my home depot air compressor. Because it only puts out 4 cfm I can only run my PSA pressure near 50-70psi. I would love to get it over 110psi, but I will need a bigger compressor.

If anyone is interested in how I constructed the PSA just let me know and I'll put together a tutorial and schematic of the construction. Otherwise, I won't bother.
2Spoons
Sat Oct 05 2013, 06:27PM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
I'd be extremely interested to see your PSA design - in particular details of your absorber material. I confess to being more interested in getting an oxygen stream, rather than nitrogen.
IamSmooth
Sat Oct 12 2013, 09:53PM
Here is a picture of the pressure swing absorber. I am also including a video link to it being used (I temporarily turned off the compressors). I plan to store the N2 in a tank for the liquid nitrogen generator.

Video link here Link2

1381614821 190 FT144039 Img 3171
IamSmooth
Tue Oct 15 2013, 09:54PM
I have gotten my N2 purity from the PSA down to 99.1% pure N2. The O2 analyzer shows 0.9% O2. Since I scrubbed the water vapor and CO2 only N2 is left. This is the best I'm going to get. I have read that to get the pure N2 I would need towers over 15 feet tall to provide enough CMS to remove the O2. Another choice is to use a two-stage PSA. The 95% plus pure N2 from the first stage goes through a second PSA tower system, removing the remaining O2. This is overkill for me.

I have retrofitted a 30 gallon tank that I got off Craig's list to store the N2 product. I will feed this into my refrigeration unit once it gets a little cooler outside. I hope you all find this as interesting as I do. I just don't know if there is enough "internet" interest out there for me to spend the time writing up plans so others can build this.

1381874045 190 FT144039 Lowo2concentration
IamSmooth
Thu Dec 12 2013, 10:33PM
I tested the unit again. Close to being done. I ran 98.3% nitrogen through the compressor with my PSA device. I was able to achieve -320 in 1 hr 10 minutes starting from 39F. I think that is pretty good. I was able to collect about 20cc of liquid nitrogen after running the unit for another 20-30 minutes after the target temperature. I will have to run better measurement next time.

I modified my compressor and had a loose screw so I had to end the run. Once I am satisfied everything is safe I will let it run on its own for a few hours and see what I get.

I am curious if anyone is interested in this or am I just nuts doing this? Does anyone think there would be an interest for plans how to build your own with the parts, sizes and sources?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: