All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Condesation/Fractional distillation of air

Move Thread LAN_403
IamSmooth
Sat Dec 08 2012, 09:46PM
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
So an update on where I have gotten:

Starting at an ambient temperature of 50F, I have gotten down to -78F.

Two problems I need to address right now. First, the "cryogenically" rated needle valve has to constantly get opened more as the temperature falls. This is probably from the contraction of the steel metal. However, I believe I have gotten close to the fully open position, which is an issue.

Second, my 4L dewar flask that acts as the reservoir that the output goes to does not hold the temperature. While the needle valve is at -75F, the flask in the middle is 35F. I would think if the vacuum was intact the temperature should be close. I will most likely need a much smaller one with a better seal.

Any thoughts?
IamSmooth
Thu Dec 13 2012, 01:53PM
I've decided on increasing the length of my heat exchanger and the amount of insulation. I have a question that I hope someone will be able to answer.

I am putting tubing around my steel coil. Cold air goes through the tubing. The tubing will be surrounded by insulation in a container. The question: is there any benefit to wrapping aluminum tape around the tubing to keep the cold inside the tube? There is no exposure to light and there will already be insulation surrounding it.
Ash Small
Thu Dec 13 2012, 03:59PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
IamSmooth wrote ...

I've decided on increasing the length of my heat exchanger and the amount of insulation. I have a question that I hope someone will be able to answer.

I am putting tubing around my steel coil. Cold air goes through the tubing. The tubing will be surrounded by insulation in a container. The question: is there any benefit to wrapping aluminum tape around the tubing to keep the cold inside the tube? There is no exposure to light and there will already be insulation surrounding it.

Having thought about this for at least a couple of seconds.....It would appear to come down to 'Does aluminium reflect IR?'

I think your money would be better spent wrapping it in more insulating material, but I'm no expert in these matters.

Aluminium is a very good conductor of heat.
2Spoons
Thu Dec 13 2012, 09:01PM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
IamSmooth wrote ...

The question: is there any benefit to wrapping aluminum tape around the tubing

No. Your losses are by conduction , not radiation. Thicker/better insulation is what you need.
klugesmith
Thu Dec 13 2012, 10:18PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
How are you going to prevent the outside of outer tube from frosting up?
The container surrounding your insulation could be purged with dry nitrogen gas.
Or with cold ultra-dry air emerging from warm end of your counterflow heat exchanger.

Many years ago, I learned something about the insulation in a commercial pure nitrogen plant, newly installed across a field from my office window. The "cold box" was a cylindrical tank about 6 feet in diameter and 30 feet high, similar in size to the horizontal LN2 storage tank. Six months after the plant started, some component broke and needed to be replaced.

The space between the apparatus and the outer tank was filled with loose insulation like vermiculite. My guess is that the insulation-filled space was then evacuated. (note 1)
For repair access, they cut out a section about 6 feet square, halfway up the tank. Before the cutting, the insulation was blown or sucked (?) into some enclosed trailers through a very large hose.

Here is a small pure N2 plant: Link2
and a detailed document about a full-blown air separation plant: Link2

[edit] Note 1. With the modern Internet there's no need to guess. I found this document Link2 from a cryogenic cold box maker. The box is filled with perlite, which can be loaded or drained through 6 inch ports. But it's not evacuated, it's purged with nitrogen that flows continuously.
1.3.2 Dehumidification Purge
Prior to start-up, the cold box shall be purged of moisture that may have entered. After installation of the breather valve, emergency vent, and perlite, set the nitrogen flow rate to provide approximately two volume changes of the casing every 24 hours. Maintain this purge at least two days.
IamSmooth
Mon Jan 07 2013, 10:44PM
Broke -100F for the first time starting at an ambient temperature of around 50F.
It took about 20 minutes. I had to stop to do other things. I'll have to give myself more time and start on a colder day to save time.

I'm using alumina silica insulation. I have the cover off for the photos. It is good to almost 3000F so I thought it would be good for the cryogenic temperatures. If I give myself enough time I should see -320F soon.
1357598567 190 FT144039 Img 2250

1357598567 190 FT144039 Breaking100

1357598651 190 FT144039 Img 2251
IamSmooth
Wed Jan 09 2013, 08:11PM
I got liquid air. The last temp I recorded was -282F. I think the thermometer needs to get calibrated. It just stopped at this temp. I took the collector out, but I could not disassemble it. It was frozen shut. I will have to redesign a collecting chamber with a facet to drain the contents.

Although I could not see the liquid, when I turned the chamber upside down I got a sudden rush of mist hissing out. This was the air vaporizing when it hit the sides of the chamber. After the redesign I will so it again so I can collect the liquid N2 and O2.
1357762219 190 FT144039 Img 2275
klugesmith
Wed Jan 09 2013, 09:00PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Very very cool, indeed. smile
Strong work! Your perseverance is being rewarded.
Soon we expect to see reports of production rates and progressive improvement -- or is it time to call it done, and start a new quest?

Are you using any separately refrigerated consumables, such as ice ?

-Rich
Ash Small
Wed Jan 09 2013, 11:07PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
klugesmith wrote ...

Soon we expect to see reports of production rates and progressive improvement -- or is it time to call it done, and start a new quest?

I think he's planning to separate the N2 and O2, etc, and use the LN2 for something else, Rich.

Pretty cool stuff, IAS.
IamSmooth
Wed Jan 09 2013, 11:11PM
The calibration on my thermometer is definitely off. I need to fix this.
I am fabricating a better knob to control the throttle as it becomes difficult to move below -100F.
I will make a collection tank with a faucet to drain my product.

The compressor uses air to partially cool the compressed air. It exits at around 300F.
I use ice to cool this down further before it goes to the regenerative tank. I plan to write a whole tutorial so others can duplicate this. I was thinking of using dry ice instead of ice. This would speed up the process, but I don't feel like spending money for it each time I plan to use it.

When I opened up my tank it was really cold. I couldn't keep my hands in there even with gloves.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: