All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Condesation/Fractional distillation of air

Move Thread LAN_403
IamSmooth
Fri Sept 28 2012, 12:54AM
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
Microwatt wrote ...

Do you think one of those pressure washers might work? they do 2000 psi easily and they are cheap.

I did give it some thought, but did not want to rip open a pressure washer. Also, I think they use oil for the compressing cylinders which is no good for cryogenic temperatures.
IamSmooth
Thu Oct 25 2012, 11:16PM
Just made my first condensor coil. I need to make one more. As you can see I modified a coil bender to impart another force so I can easily make a helix. All of this will be documented on a web tutorial.
1351206925 190 FT144039 Coilbender1

Here is a video of it:

Link2
IamSmooth
Sat Oct 27 2012, 05:50PM
Klugesmith had a nice idea to use a thermocouple for measuring cryogenic temperatures. My meter only goes down to -58F.

I would have to order one from Mouser or Digikey. Any suggestions for other places that would have this?

If my meter won't go that low, what needs to be done to use the thermocouple probe? I'm guessing I have to put a small voltage across the leads and measure the current flow at various temperatures. Calibration would possibly become an issue.
Ash Small
Sat Oct 27 2012, 06:01PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Type 'T' and type 'K' both go to -200. You don't need to apply a voltage. If you do it becomes a Peltier device.

Link2
IamSmooth
Sat Oct 27 2012, 06:02PM
So how does one measure temperature with them? I read a little about them just now. They produce a voltage based on the temperature. So, I would have to measure the voltage produced and correlate this to the temperature?

I also found this

Link2
Ash Small
Sat Oct 27 2012, 06:10PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
IamSmooth wrote ...

So how does one measure temperature with them? I read a little about them just now. They produce a voltage based on the temperature. So, I would have to measure the voltage produced and correlate this to the temperature?

I also found this

Link2

My recent thread on this subject is here: Link2 Although I ended up using thermistors for my project.

EDIT: You have a 'reference junction' and the 'sensor junction', the temperature difference between them results in a voltage, which you measure. Can't get much simpler really, but you do need a sensitive meter for accurate results. You also need to maintain the reference junction at a steady temperature, or utilise some form of compensation. Microprocessors are available that do this for you, and also amplify the signal if required (I believe there are references to these in the thread I linked to).
Sat Oct 27 2012, 07:26PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
The easiest route is probably to use a RTD, you can get thin film ones pretty cheap these days ex Link2
IamSmooth
Sat Oct 27 2012, 09:55PM
I read about these after your link. I did not see how low of a temperature they will accurately measure. There also seems to be a need to calibrate it near the range I plan to use. Has anyone used an RTD at cryogenic temperatures?

I am beginning to think I should just spend the $200 and get a working unit that goes down to -328F.
Sat Oct 27 2012, 10:14PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
The hel-700 series is specified at +/- 1.5c at -200c (the ones in the ebay auction look to be the high accuracy -1 type, which is +/-1.2c, not that it makes much of a difference).

see Link2

Our cryostats usually use RTDs, they actually work out quite nicely at low temperatures because their response is linear so you get a much larger (relative) change of resistance for a given change in temperature at low temperatures.

To get an idea of what the temperature response looks like check out Link2 although that is for a 100ohm alpha=385 rtd, where as the ebay is a funny 1000ohm alpha=375 device, to a first approximation just multiply the values in the chart by 10
IamSmooth
Sat Oct 27 2012, 11:42PM
They seem nice. I don't want to take on a secondary project. Would I be able to simply put an Ohm meter across the leads, measure the resistance and just compare it to a chart to get the temperature? This would give me a solution that only costs a few dollars.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: