Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

+10KW induction heater

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Mon Jul 16 2012, 08:01AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Linas wrote ...

1341684191 1143 FT0 Imag0012

Can i ask you for the dimensions on this ferrite core? And do you know that 30kW number with high confidence?
Linas
Mon Jul 16 2012, 09:40AM
Linas Registered Member #1143 Joined: Sun Nov 25 2007, 04:55PM
Patrick wrote ...

Can i ask you for the dimensions on this ferrite core? And do you know that 30kW number with high confidence?
It is from CT scanner power supply for HV tube. original design had 3 cores in parallel, i got only two.
it is 12cm^2 core

i made CT part as in uzzors induction heater, and having same problem.

CCO part is simple, if E/A is high, that gives ~21kHz and if E/A is low, it gives up to 50KHz ( depend on resistor, usually i set around 50-70kHz)

i am using right now LM311 because for some reason in data sheet they say that e/a works from 1.5 to 5v, so to be sure i use LM311 since is perfect because has open collector for pull down resistor
and yes, i use E/A as comparator

just made voltage feedback from LC circuit with voltage divider, few 1N5819.
and it's works, i don't get any noise .
interesting part i can't use any capacitor on voltage feedback because it kill feedback, even as small as 330pF.
Only problem is jumping below resonance,if that part will be sorted out, that will be winner smile
Mon Jul 16 2012, 04:22PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Like steve said, your best bet is to limit it so that it can't go below resonance, because designing a feedback network that can handle an inflection point like that will be very hard (especially when the point moves around!).

I like the suggestion of just setting a pessimistic limit and never running at 100% full power, however since the turning point moves around I can see this being problematic. Perhaps you can add a phase comparator between coil current/voltage (simple XOR gate with a low pass filter would work) and when you find that you are getting close to 0 phase difference disable the current feedback and wait for the setpoint to fall below the measured current? Perhaps turn on a 'output at maximum' light on the front panel as well wink

quite the project you have got going there in any case!
Linas
Mon Jul 16 2012, 05:23PM
... wrote ...

Like Steve said, your best bet is to limit it so that it can't go below resonance, because designing a feedback network that can handle an inflection point like that will be very hard (especially when the point moves around!).
it's impossible to set Fo and get power at the same time, because as you said it changing to much .
So far so good, blow 16A fuses dozens of times and IGBT are still alive :) ( and it's still 2x smaller than in final version )

I guess i have to shift to PLL driver since i get some feedback working, it's not ideal but what can i do... ?
As far as i know PLL will lock up at Fo and don't bellow, right ?
Steve Conner
Tue Jul 17 2012, 08:25AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Well there's your problem, you can't use a comparator as an error amplifier. tongue If you try to use them in the linear mode they just oscillate. Try again with the 33067's onboard error amp, or an op-amp like the LM324.
Linas
Tue Jul 17 2012, 08:52AM
Steve Conner wrote ...

Well there's your problem, you can't use a comparator as an error amplifier. tongue If you try to use them in the linear mode they just oscillate. Try again with the 33067's onboard error amp, or an op-amp like the LM324.
trust me i tried to use that, but get same results as with LM311
anyway i will try to do that now, fingers crossed.
Steve Conner
Tue Jul 17 2012, 09:35AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Well try again and pay special attention to the compensation networks shown in the MC33067 datasheet. You have to limit the gain of the error amp quite severely at high frequencies, or it'll amplify switching noise so much that it drives itself into clipping. (I guess that was happening since you got the same results with an op-amp as with a comparator.)

In this application I'd expect to see it configured as an integrator with a time constant of 10s to 100s of milliseconds: fast enough to track workpiece insertion and removal and Curie point, but no faster.

Integrators mean problems with initial conditions, so you have to make sure the integrating capacitor starts off in the state corresponding to minimum power. The chip's soft-start facility may help with that.
Linas
Tue Jul 17 2012, 10:07AM
hm, even if i get stable at start, it blow fuses at curie point because of fast ramping Q.

it's time for PLL
i going to change uzzros design opamps to ICL7621 since i have them around.
they should work, right ?
and also going to use 5V PLL (74HC4046) since i noticed in test that CD4046 is not 50:50 duty cycle (or i made some mistake and get that result)
74HC4046 is much closer to 50:50 than CD4046 neutral

Also can i just connect 3 to 4 leg on PLL ? since i don't use LCLR topology
uzzors2k
Tue Jul 17 2012, 05:29PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
I've also been working on and off with a new PLL driver for my series resonant induction heater. I had problems with regulation as well, and in the end I've opted to just use a shutdown comparator and reset switch. In other words the driver runs at full power until current or tank voltage exceed some limit, then BAM! the driver shuts down. It has to then be reset manually with a switch, which engages the soft-start and re-enables the driver. The phase potentiometer actually allows you to adjust phase to any desired value above or below resonance, which the driver appears to track.

1342545974 95 FT141346 Ets 4046 Ih 2 Beta

I've been forced to skip thorough testing of the driver since I need my ROV fixed and ready for next week. So if you decide to use it let me know how it works for you. If it doesn't misbehave, be a dear and make a PCB layout for it would you? smile

1342545973 95 FT141346 Img 0477
Linas
Tue Jul 17 2012, 07:00PM
Uzzors wrote ...

1342545974 95 FT141346 Ets 4046 Ih 2 Beta

13 leg should be 2 leg, right ?
hm, maybe i will use some ideas from your circuit :)
if some one wonders my power part looks like this:
as you can see i use LC in parallel, i don't know is it good, but voltage can rise as high as my scope can see, so > 300V

1342551615 1143 FT141346 Untitled

Each IGBT has RCD snubber from my old DRSSTC bridge
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: