Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/20 Vaxian (17)
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

3.8 kJ coilgun

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Pinkamena
Wed Jun 20 2012, 06:40PM Print
Pinkamena Registered Member #4237 Joined: Tue Nov 29 2011, 02:49PM
Hi guys!

Thoght I'd post some pictures from my coilgun project. It's a 9-stage, 3.8kJ one, and the first coilgun I have ever built. I am using two photogates per stage in order to get full control of when each coil will fire. An IGBT module acts as the main switch, while 9 SCR modules control what coil the current flows to. There's of course more to it, but I know you just want to look at the pretty pictures!

Took this picture today, got started on the plate that the coilgun will be mounted on. The copper bars on each side is for current distribution.
IMG 20120620 184224

L1060311

Two coils that'll become the first stage
L1060310

In the middle of winding one of the coils:
L1060309

Testing a monostable 555-timer. Going to use it to measure the velocity of the projectile.
L1060293

Here's the 555-timer circuit on a breadboard.
L1060302

The IGBT controller:
L1060288

Photogate electronics. I'll need one of these for each stage.
L1060292

If you have any questions, don't hesitate asking! I'll probably update this thread at least a few times a week with new pictures :)
rp181
Wed Jun 20 2012, 09:22PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
Hey,
From what I understand, you have a central capacitor bank, and IGBT switch, and 9 SCR's to direct current to the correct coil. Why not split up the bank and use the SCR's directly? If you want control of the pulse and turn it off when the second photogate is triggered, take a look at the V switch method:
Link2
Pinkamena
Wed Jun 20 2012, 09:44PM
I was initially going to split the cap bank up in smaller units, but more experienced coilgun builders said that it was a bad idea.
Forty
Fri Jun 22 2012, 04:40PM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
Is it just me or are there big gaps between your coil layers? You shouldn't need any extra insulation unless your charging your caps in series

I just got an almost identical sized capacitor bank in the mail today O_o 12x 3900uf 400v = 3.744kJ
(+ 4x 2200uF 450v, but they seem light and need tested)

edit: Oh and a fun conversion i made up: Joules to stories dropped by 16lb bowling ball: divide by 235
Pinkamena
Sat Jun 23 2012, 03:00PM
There is a layer of masking tape between each layer of wire. This so that the coil won't unravel when I Remove it from the winding rig, not for insulation. The tape is pretty thin, so it does not have a big negative effect on the coil. Great to hear about your cap bank!
Saz43
Sat Jun 23 2012, 03:57PM
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
Pinkamena wrote ...

I was initially going to split the cap bank up in smaller units, but more experienced coilgun builders said that it was a bad idea.

I don't think there's any logic to this. You don't get any advantage by doing it this way, and it makes calculations much more difficult. Notice that the people who claim to be experts and recommend doing it this way have never actually built one... that being said, I'm very interested to see how it works out in your case. Please give us lots of updates!

Question: If you're using SCRs to trigger the individual coils, how do you plan to turn them off at the right time? Is that what the IGBT is for?

Nice work! It's good to see someone else is putting serious work into a coilgun!

Forty
Sun Jun 24 2012, 05:31AM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
hmm. To me it looks like your hand is visible through the layers.. Oh well.

Anyways, have you tried using liquid super glue to bind the layers together? I've had great success using it with 16awg wire. Allows the windings to be as dense as possible too.

I can't picture how you're going to get one IGBT to switch all the coils individually with separate banks. Have a sketch of the circuit or care to explain it?

I can only think of three ways of doing it (excluding v-switch stuff):
1. separate banks with an SCR or IGBT per coil
2. one bank with an IGBT per coil
3. one bank with an IGBT to control on/off and an SCR per coil

Oh and where are you getting your SCRs from? I need to find some cheap ones as well.
Tetris
Sun Jun 24 2012, 07:01AM
Tetris Registered Member #4016 Joined: Thu Jul 21 2011, 01:52AM
Ooo that looks nice
Pinkamena
Fri Jun 29 2012, 04:03PM
Saz43 wrote ...

Pinkamena wrote ...

I don't think there's any logic to this. You don't get any advantage by doing it this way, and it makes calculations much more difficult. Notice that the people who claim to be experts and recommend doing it this way have never actually built one... that being said, I'm very interested to see how it works out in your case. Please give us lots of updates!

Question: If you're using SCRs to trigger the individual coils, how do you plan to turn them off at the right time? Is that what the IGBT is for?

Nice work! It's good to see someone else is putting serious work into a coilgun!

Honestly, keeping the cap bank in one piece saved me a lot of time writing my simulation.
A single bank for each stage would require me to design the coil so it would use all the energy in the bank on the time it took the projectile to pass through. Not only would the force be varying and relatively difficult to simulate, but the turns/layers configuration for this would likely not be the most effective either. Keeping the cap bank in one piece will allow me to vary the amount of energy per stage, not being bound to a set amount. It literally takes the stored energy out of the equation when finding the most effective coil configuration since I have no lower nor upper limit (within reason of course) for the energy consumption per coil, only for the 9 coils together. The force per stage will also be nearly constant, so calculating the work per stage is much simpler.

Regarding the SCR question, you are correct. The IGBT and one of the SCRs will be turned on at a time. So the IGBT will turn on and off 9 times per shot, while each SCR will only turn on and off once. And thanks for the kind words! Your own coilgun projects have really inspired me.

Forty wrote ...

Anyways, have you tried using liquid super glue to bind the layers together? I've had great success using it with 16awg wire. Allows the windings to be as dense as possible too.

I can't picture how you're going to get one IGBT to switch all the coils individually with separate banks. Have a sketch of the circuit or care to explain it?
Oh and where are you getting your SCRs from? I need to find some cheap ones as well.
Yes, I did try using super glue first, but the two kinds I had available didn't work... So I used the next best thing, tape! And about the switching method, see my reply to Saz :) I do not have any schematics for the switching system unfortunately. And I bought my SCRs from ebay I think. They can't take very high current though, so I gotta put some in series for the last 4 coils which will get a current way up in the >5kA area.
Pinkamena
Mon Jul 02 2012, 07:19PM
More pictures! I finally finished the first stage and got it mounted. The control panel is also coming along nicely.

About the iron sleeve: It's made from polyester and iron powder. I used a ratio of about 4 parts polyester, 6 parts iron powder. I wish I could have used less polyester. I first tried a ratio of 1/4, but that just made the iron powder sort of a damp paste that could be molded but not poured into the forms. I used soft rubber sheets to make the forms, and covered everything with vaseline so it wouldn't stick. Worked like a charm.

IMG 20120702 135207

Stuffed the two pre-wound coils into the sleeve. It's bloody heavy!
IMG 20120702 151735

IMG 20120702 151742

IMG 20120702 154404

Also, projectile and control panel (not finished)
IMG 20120630 193821 2

There's two compartments. The lower is for the photogate electronics, while the upper is for everything else.
IMG 20120630 193940

Here's the projectile. It weighs 75 grams, and is made from a 1/2" steel rod of grade EN1A.
IMG 20120630 185523

1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: