Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/20 Vaxian (17)
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Another medium size DRSSTC build underway -now completed

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
nixie
Sun May 06 2012, 04:08PM Print
nixie Registered Member #3908 Joined: Tue May 24 2011, 09:40PM
Following the WWT 2012, I had decided to put together a coil that's closely based on Eric Goodchild's published prior work.

This year at Halloween, our family is working to put on a spectacular neighborhood show. One of the seven MIDI driven instruments will be a DRSSTC.

220vac, with a doubler and precharge circuit. A single GDT for the CM600's. Driver is Steve Ward's UD2.1, Interrupter is Phillip Slawinski's MPTCC.

I'll update the thread as the build progresses. All of the components have been acquired. The topload and secondary are completed. I'm now working on the driver and bridge.
Regards, Jeff

1336320451 3908 FT0 Topload

1336320451 3908 FT0 Secondary1

1336320451 3908 FT0 Mptcc

EDIT: to fix image link.
Dr. Drone
Sun May 06 2012, 05:05PM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
nixie
Fri May 11 2012, 04:31PM
Dr. Spark wrote ...

What AWG are you using on the secondary?
Hope to see at W.W.T. 2013! Wonder how many Dr's we can run next year at same time?
Rgs,
Dr. Spark

The wire is Essex GP-MR-200 heavy build polyester top coat in 24AWG. A local distributor had stock in 10lb spools. $68 without tax.
A total of 2025 turns over 45 inches, for an estimated Fo at 37khz. The topload is 46" OD on the largest of the seven rings.

I had cleaned and prepped the 12.75" OD SCH40 PVC to remove any defects/deposits, then applied four heavy coats of fast-dry Polyurethane over a period of a few days. Another four days were given for a final cure.
It was all completed during the period of time we had almost single digit humidity here in the desert. So no trapped moisture.
After winding, it was sealed in a quart of Envirotex Lite. I poured in on very heavy, and then spent an hour chasing exhausted air bubbles from beneath the windings with a heat gun mad
I had the best results during cure by using a rotation speed of ~15rpm.
Hopefully all of the careful prep work will pay off.

And we'll definitely be there for WWT2013. Thanks!

Regards, Jeff

1336753171 3908 FT138005 Secondary2
nixie
Fri Jun 01 2012, 01:27PM
Although not part of the audio modulated DRSSTC build itself, it is part of the original Halloween project.
As a recap, the DRSSTC is one of the five automated musical instruments in the performance. The others are bass drums/Cymbal, a Vibraphone, a rack of 21 Cathedral Chimes, a Glockenspiel, and a Synthesizer to produce stringed instrument voices that I cannot automate very easily.

"Danse Macabre"

The chimes open the performance of Danse Macabre; striking low "D" at midnight on Halloween when death permits the dead a gift of reanimation until dawn.
RoboVibes lead the DRSSTC inserts throughout the performance. The original composition by Camille Saints-Saens has been edited as a two minute performance.
Our youngest daughter and three friends will perform a choreographed skeleton dance wearing skeleton bone Morphsuits, illuminated by stage-wide black light lamps.

"Zombie Ballerina"

A Glockenspiel plays a repeating music box introduction. A dead ballerina (our 11yr old) emerges from a standing coffin, illuminated as a skeleton by an animated GIF image from a projector that changes to normal lighting. During the transformation, the DRSSTC opens into the composition. She completes her choreographed routine and returns to her coffin at the end, as the music box winds down. The animated gif projection reverses her back to a skeleton. This is a composition originally part of Danny Elfman's "Edward Scissorhands" soundtrack, heavily edited, with additional material added.

I hope you like them.
Regards, Jeff

Tetris
Fri Jun 01 2012, 03:41PM
Tetris Registered Member #4016 Joined: Thu Jul 21 2011, 01:52AM
wow that's a huge DRSSTC! but are you going to actually play the drums or automate it? Ha you'll be the talk of the neighborhood on Halloween! Even a jacobs ladder impresses people, now put a 7 foot tall drsstc in front of them, add other stuff, you're going to be in the newspaper! :P
nixie
Mon Aug 27 2012, 05:52PM
It's been a couple of months since this project thread was updated.

As a recap, I decided to assemble a 10kva DRSSTC that was closely based on Eric Goodchild's prior work.
He'd done a fine job of publishing images of his work. And was very helpful along the build process.
I'm a semi-retired PE, and needed a DR coil for the upcoming Halloween extravaganza.

I was ready to light it up. And Eric had just returned to ASU to continue his studies. Lucky me. Eric graciously offered to come over to our home and tune it on Saturday.
Evidently it was Déjà vu; I'd done a fine job of duplicating his DRSSTC. Following a little phase lead adjustment, and *one* primary tap move, it came to life.
We used Eric's controller for the MIDI portions in the video. I was having trouble with mine.
It ran very well, aside from some breakout on the top load rivet heads. Some images of the build follow, along with the requisite "first light" video. It supports 1080p too.
My sincere Thanks to Eric, Steve Ward, and Dr. Spark for making this happen.

Dr1

The total height is 2.3m (90in)

Dr2

Topload support is a structural PVC item.

Dr3

Milled polycarbonate primary supports and cover sheet. The hard plywood platforms were covered in white laminate, with a black poly edge bead.
Platform supports are molded structural PVC, same as the top load. Casters are Harbor Fleight (chinese prison labor made).

Dr4

Box contains LV transformer for UD2.1 / DC fans to cool the MMC.
One fan died on the first light. Ebay kwality.

Dr5

Very familiar CM600 bridge design. Milled copper blocks, copper busbars, Feedback and OCD toroids are a direct copy.
Wire between bridge, MMC, and primary is 3/0 fine strand welding cable.

Dr6

The MMC enclosure was thermally formed from a polycarbonate sheet.

Dr7

Four 120vac fans to try and keep the CM600 bridge cool in these AZ summer temps.

Dr8

And Steve Ward's UD2.1, driving a single full bridge GDT. The regulators are remoted on heat sink bar, and box is shielded with aluminum screen on fan / vent holes.

Regards, Jeff

Dr. Drone
Wed Aug 29 2012, 04:50AM
shades
Goodchild
Wed Sept 05 2012, 12:32AM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
Just think 3 near identical 12Kw DRSSTC all running at once, with the cage of death smack in the middle of all 3 getting pounded with sparks and music. It will be one sight to see and I can't wait!
Matt Edwards
Wed Sept 05 2012, 01:00AM
Matt Edwards Registered Member #2838 Joined: Fri Apr 30 2010, 07:55PM
love it!
Dr. Drone
Thu Sept 06 2012, 06:54PM
shades
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: