Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

X-ray photos, First light

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Wolfram
Sun Jan 29 2012, 04:29AM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Haha, no, that was just a coincidence. I've been thinking of it for a long time, and Tungsten is called Wolfram here in scandinavia too.

Any news on the project?
climatex
Sat Feb 04 2012, 08:47PM
climatex Registered Member #2012 Joined: Sat Mar 07 2009, 10:22AM
Will keep you updated on it after May or so, maybe sooner. Will have state exams soon..

Got a few more flybacks from the scrapyard, a Soviet DP-5 radiometer to go along with the czechoslovak one, and a green screen instead of the blue intensifier.
In the meantime I'm trying to look for another x-ray tube to try out. 89 dollars for the Bkh-4 just seems too much.
Tetris
Sat Feb 04 2012, 09:04PM
Tetris Registered Member #4016 Joined: Thu Jul 21 2011, 01:52AM
Ooo that looks cool. how many sieverts of radiation does it produce per each picture
climatex
Sun Feb 05 2012, 09:25AM
I'd say a few sieverts per hour, 5-10cm away from the tube. Soft x-rays are difficult to measure, that's why I can provide just a rough estimate.
Proud Mary
Mon Feb 06 2012, 12:58AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
climatex wrote ...

I'd say a few sieverts per hour, 5-10cm away from the tube. Soft x-rays are difficult to measure, that's why I can provide just a rough estimate.

With anode voltage 50 kV and anode current 1 mA, the dose rate at 500 mm centre beam will be of the order of hundreds of Sv/hr, and perhaps even more. It's not possible to give a better estimate than this without knowing the thickness and mass attenuation coefficient of the glass for photons <50 keV - but certainly very dangerous.
Wolfram
Mon Feb 06 2012, 10:08AM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

climatex wrote ...

With anode voltage 50 kV and anode current 1 mA, the dose rate at 500 mm centre beam will be of the order of hundreds of Sv/hr, and perhaps even more. It's not possible to give a better estimate than this without knowing the thickness and mass attenuation coefficient of the glass for photons <50 keV - but certainly very dangerous.

This doesn't sound right. I checked these numbers with the Tucker/Barnes/Chakraborty model for tungsten target x-ray spectra, which is known to be quite accurate. I had to make a few assumptions, I assumed that the anode angle was 19 degrees and that the tube glass was 2mm thick borosilicate. This gave me a dose rate of a hair above 1Gy/hr at 50kV, 1mA.

Medical tubes are as far as I know always made of borosilicate glass (unless they were made before the middle of last century), which has well-known mass attenuation coefficients. Dental x-ray tubes consistently have glass around 2mm thick unless the glass has been ground down where the x-ray beam exits. 19 degrees is also by far the most common anode angle for dental tubes, except for modern ones with sub-0.7mm focal spots which tend to have smaller anode angles.

1328522915 33 FT131497 1mah
Proud Mary
Mon Feb 06 2012, 12:06PM
Wolfram wrote ...

Proud Mary wrote ...

climatex wrote ...

I dare say you are right, Anders! smile I have no experience with dental tubes, and underestimated the thickness of the glass wall.
This doesn't sound right. I checked these numbers with the Tucker/Barnes/Chakraborty model for tungsten target x-ray spectra, which is known to be quite accurate. I had to make a few assumptions, I assumed that the anode angle was 19 degrees and that the tube glass was 2mm thick borosilicate. This gave me a dose rate of a hair above 1Gy/hr at 50kV, 1mA.

Medical tubes are as far as I know always made of borosilicate glass (unless they were made before the middle of last century), which has well-known mass attenuation coefficients. Dental x-ray tubes consistently have glass around 2mm thick unless the glass has been ground down where the x-ray beam exits. 19 degrees is also by far the most common anode angle for dental tubes, except for modern ones with sub-0.7mm focal spots which tend to have smaller anode angles.

1328522915 33 FT131497 1mah

climatex
Mon Feb 06 2012, 07:12PM
Agreed with Anders here; I'd say hudreds of sieverts for those Soviet microfocus tubes when overdriven properly.

A nice estimate would also be to measure gamma at one meter away from the anode, with no blocking material, except the bulb itself, standing in the way of the x-ray beam. Radpro calculator would then do the rest.
Proud Mary
Mon Feb 06 2012, 08:15PM
climatex wrote ...

I'd say hudreds of sieverts for those Soviet microfocus tubes when overdriven properly.

Yes, that is why I didn't notice my mistake.

According to Radpro, and using a conversion factor of 0.6 for the Ag target, my Svetlana 0.3BSV25-Ag (60kV, 5mA, Be windows) will produce a dose rate of (zeroth order approximation) 16,000 Sv/hr at 5 cm - enough to cause very serious burns in a few seconds.

Link2
climatex
Tue Feb 07 2012, 05:16PM
I've seen some of the Svetlana monster x-ray tubes, could you show a photo of yours? Or, have you got some nice realtime fluoroscope with it? With 60 kilovolts and 5mA that should be a cinch.
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: