Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

X-ray photos, First light

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Tue Jan 10 2012, 10:11AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Ha ha that's telling me! cheesey Good luck to you anyway!
Wolfram
Wed Jan 11 2012, 06:43AM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
climatex wrote ...

Folks, I have been in contact with a Russian, who has made a nice fluoroscope with 40-50 kilovolts, utilising his Soviet BS-1 x-ray tube intended for crstallography (the anode had a beryllium window).
Link2
(He got 4th degree burns shortly afterwards, since he didn't shield the soft xrays, however no amputation was needed.)

I've seen that video before, and I would expect something bad like that to happen to him afterwards. Exposing yourself to a normal glass x-ray tube will result in an absorbed radiation dose, and radiation burns in extreme cases. Exposing yourself to the radiation from a beryllium window tube is almost guaranteed to result in severe skin burns.

And Anders, congrats! Perfect "FullHD" x-ray setup you've got there, hats off to that!

It's not very hard. Grab yourself a roll of ISO100-400 black/white 35mm or 120 film and some developer and fixer for it. Cut it up into small squares in a dark room and pack them individually in aluminium foil, making sure that no light can get in. Expose and develop individually. This could give very good results, with lower-ISO film giving even sharper results than the last picture I posted. The size of the objects you can x-ray will be limited with this method, but it should be very cheap and you can upgrade to bigger film if you like the results.
Steve Conner
Wed Jan 11 2012, 09:43AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The important point is that the beryllium window tubes are not for use on living targets. The glass envelope of a medical X-ray tube actually helps by absorbing the soft x-rays. An aluminium filter is used to absorb even more of them, leaving the higher energy radiation needed for good pictures of teeth and bones.

If working with non-living specimens you can use any sort of tube you like.

The copper anode block of a medical x-ray tube has a tungsten target inside. Tungsten is chosen mainly for its high melting point, but being a heavy element, it has characteristic radiation of a decently high energy.
climatex
Wed Jan 11 2012, 10:47AM
climatex Registered Member #2012 Joined: Sat Mar 07 2009, 10:22AM
Thanks Anders and Steve for your ideas. Agreed with the external shielding of those Be-windowed tubes o'doom; I already obtained some 2-3mm lead sheets for experimentation with these.

I did some research into the geometric unsharpness as Proud Mary here noted. And the results with the BX-4 tube wouldn't be satisfactory, in comparision against the BS-1 you've seen. Well, there were some Java applet calculators for that and I've seen images how concrete values of the unsharpness affect the final picture.

As per the Russian datasheet says (if anyone's interested I can upload it here to 4hv), it states a 2x4mm focal point size, or 8mm squared. As I've seen that the focal point size is usually given in length (power of 1) and not in an area (power of 2), the 8mm^2 focal point area would make a size of sqrt(8) which is 2.82mm. That's a much lower value, however it's still huge compared to microfocus tubes.

Ah well, either I'll wait for the BS-1 with a focal point size of 0.1mm or it's time to look for another medical x-ray tube. Actually I have sold the Chirana tube for 80 EUR as in to try luck with different x-ray tubes out there. Sadly, no time to do electronics at this moment, either.

I'll keep this topic updated, folks. Feel free to comment :)
radhoo
Wed Jan 11 2012, 11:16AM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
climatex wrote ...

Folks, I have been in contact with a Russian, who has made a nice fluoroscope with 40-50 kilovolts, utilising his Soviet BS-1 x-ray tube intended for crstallography (the anode had a beryllium window).
Link2

Why would anyone do a stupid thing like that?

LE, the advise you got from Proud Mary was for your own good, you really shouldn't have retaliated like that.

It seems age matters after all wink

climatex
Wed Jan 11 2012, 03:08PM
Sorry radhoo for proving her wrong. How very impolite. I have never known that her answers were always right. eh?

radhoo" wrote ...
Why would anyone do a stupid thing like that?
Why would anyone torture the 2X2, that poor vacuum rectifier, with excessive voltage...? That isn't a stupid thing to do?
Wolfram
Wed Jan 11 2012, 03:12PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

The important point is that the beryllium window tubes are not for use on living targets.

At least not without filtering. Beryllium window tubes are commonly used in mammography, but with a rhodium or molybdenum filter to take out the lowest energy x-rays. Do not try this on yourself though.

The copper anode block of a medical x-ray tube has a tungsten target inside. Tungsten is chosen mainly for its high melting point, but being a heavy element, it has characteristic radiation of a decently high energy.

You forgot one of the most important factors, x-ray production efficiency is directly propotional to atomic number, so it has an advantage on most elements in this respect. Tungsten also has pretty good thermal conductivity, which is important. These factors, combined with the extremely high melting point, makes tungsten pretty much the only choice for medical tubes. Other anode materials are used in tubes for special purposes (mammography, crystallography) where the anode material's characteristic lines are desirable. Also, tungsten is sometimes alloyed with a bit of rhenium for increased resistance to cracking and pitting of the focal spot.
climatex
Wed Jan 11 2012, 03:14PM
Anders, so that huge chunk of copper in that Chirana was actually passive cooling to that tungsten (wolfram) target? Thanks.
Wolfram
Thu Jan 12 2012, 09:52AM
Yeah, the copper part of the anode does the job of conducting the heat out of the tube. It also has a high thermal mass, so that the tube can be used with high input power for a short while without overheating.
climatex
Sat Jan 28 2012, 06:27PM
@Anders: Did I inspire you with the translation of "tungsten" with your nick change? :)
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: