Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

X-ray photos, First light

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
climatex
Wed Jan 04 2012, 12:36PM Print
climatex Registered Member #2012 Joined: Sat Mar 07 2009, 10:22AM
First x-ray pictures I've got with a Chirana X-ray tube setup at 45-50 kV, from a modified ZVS+DST driver (here's the distance where the arc strikes, 7cm)
The pictures were made with an american intensifier screen CRONEX RAPID 800 + a long exposure photograph (3 seconds).

Here's an X-ray of a flat remote control, plus the grayscale inverted (negative) photograph.
Link2

Retractable meter
Link2

Relay
Link2

Microchip
Link2

.. and, a radiometer goin' crazy.
Link2

Currently, X-ray experiments are temporarily halted; I'm in progress of making another x-ray setup with some Soviet x-ray tubes, those with a Be window.
randommscience117
Wed Jan 04 2012, 10:20PM
randommscience117 Registered Member #4274 Joined: Mon Dec 19 2011, 03:10AM
Check out Teravolt.org, he has a pretty sweet X-ray setup you might want to check out.
climatex
Thu Jan 05 2012, 12:12AM
Hah, neato'. I've seen it and I'm afraid there's nothing to check out to inspire, since the principle stays still the same. Yes, donate me a real singlephase x-ray transformer and I will obtain the same output pictures, if not better... My x-ray is powered with a single DST flyback, since it's the best choice for a ZVS and I don't have interest in building multipliers and sealing them with epoxy afterwards.. after all, they provide lesser current than directly from the transformer anode conn..

And, in addition, I doubt how much money he had spent on his setup. I have obtained my x-ray tube and intensifier screens through barter trade, I paid just the shipping fees. And the DST flyback, or the driver itself... you know, semi-free access to the scrapyard makes wonders. wink
klugesmith
Fri Jan 06 2012, 03:50AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Nice work; thanks for sharing. Mind your millisieverts!

Are we seeing digital photographs of the intensifier screen,
or chemically developed film or photo paper?
climatex
Fri Jan 06 2012, 10:27PM
Thanks Klugesmith; Intensifier screen. However I think sometimes I'll try photosensitive paper, the old fashioned method of developing it. :)
Wolfram
Sat Jan 07 2012, 02:33AM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Good to see more people entering this interesting hobby. What sort of camera were you using? Your setup has the potential to give much better results than the picture. This Link2 is the sort of result that is possible with this technique. That photo was even taken with a 7 year old DSLR, I am sure a modern camera could give much better results.

Using directly exposed film is going to give much sharper images with less effort. Even relatively fast film (320 ISO in this example) film can give extremely sharp results Link2 . Using film in a cassette requires much less radiation for a given exposure, at the sacrifice of resolution, the results will still be very good however.

I wouldn't recommend photo paper to start with, even though I know other people here have used it with great results. The main issue is the very low sensitivity. An other common issue is that fixed-contrast photopaper is plain silver-halide emulsion without sensitizing dyes, so it won't be very sensitive to the green light from a typical Gd2O2S:Tb (by far the most common today) x-ray cassette screen. I see your cassette has a blue-emitting screen so this will not be an issue, just something to be aware about. An other potential issue is with the use of multigrade photo paper, which is the only kind available in many places. Multigrade paper is sensitive to both green and blue, but contrast is determined by the light color. I know multigrade paper in a green x-ray cassette often results in images with very contrast, it might work better with a blue cassette.

Direct exposure of photo paper works well, but it requires very long exposure times.

Don't take my words for it though, experiment, try new things, report back to us and remember to stay safe.
radhoo
Sun Jan 08 2012, 05:39PM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
Nice work, congrats. Try improving the picture quality. I almost got better results using a 2x2 tube: Link2
climatex
Mon Jan 09 2012, 07:12PM
Folks, I have been in contact with a Russian, who has made a nice fluoroscope with 40-50 kilovolts, utilising his Soviet BS-1 x-ray tube intended for crstallography (the anode had a beryllium window).
Link2
(He got 4th degree burns shortly afterwards, since he didn't shield the soft xrays, however no amputation was needed.)

Well, I don't have the chance to try a tube like this, I have found the nearest equivalent being the BH-4, which Proud Mary did a review of it:
Link2

The only difference is that this tube has a smaller anode cap, bigger voltage/wattage rating (up to 10 W, the BS1 had 6W continuous) and I would pick the model with golden anode /Au/. However, Proud Mary warned me about this particular tube that it has its focal point of 2x4mm, in comparision with the BS1 (0.1mm or so?)

The reason I got interested in these Soviet xray tubes was because one needs a hefty supply, usually over 60-70kV under load, to get some nice (and fluoroscopic, i.e. in real time) pictures with classic medical Coolidge-style tubes. With these Be-windowed ones, the rays do not pass through glass, they do through the window instead. :)

If anyone has any hints or remarks which would assist me with these Soviet tubes, please share them with all of us.

And Anders, congrats! Perfect "FullHD" x-ray setup you've got there, hats off to that!
Proud Mary
Mon Jan 09 2012, 09:50PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
climatex wrote ...

The only difference is that this tube has a smaller anode cap, bigger voltage/wattage rating (up to 10 W, the BS1 had 6W continuous) and I would pick the model with golden anode /Au/. However, Proud Mary warned me about this particular tube that it has its focal point of 2x4mm, in comparision with the BS1 (0.1mm or so?)

In fact I told you 2mm x 2mm. The reason an anode spot of this size is unsuitable for general imaging purposes is shown in this illustration of geometric unsharpness:

1326144748 543 FT0 Unsharpness1

Knowing the dimensions of a focal spot allows you to calculate geometric unsharpness at a given distance by simple geometry.

Aside from the issue with the focal spot, I would not reccommend use of an Au anode in general radiography, as its two characteristic emission peaks are at - from memory - about 10 keV and 12 keV respectively. This could be very good for small biological specimens, but no use at all for making images of mobile 'phones and all the techno bits most often shown in 4HV.

In my opinion - old killjoy that I am - you should learn a lot more about X-rays, buy a modern X-ray dosimeter, and a big roll of 2mm lead sheeting before you go any further.

climatex
Tue Jan 10 2012, 07:44AM
Proud Mary wrote ...
In fact I told you 2mm x 2mm.
Yes, you've told me that. In fact, you're wrong.

Proud Mary wrote ...
... I would not reccommend use of an Au anode... characteristic emission peaks are about 10 keV and 12 keV respectively....
Now let's look at the copper specto-graph, of a similar (BS-5) Soviet tube. Now, the emission spectrum seems to have a peak even below 10 kEv, and AFAIK that fat dark-red thing which was in my medical Chirana was also copper anode... Could you explain why is copper used even in medical tubes then?

Proud Mary wrote ...
..for small biological specimens...
Like human fingers ? :)

Proud Mary wrote ...
old killjoy that I am
Age doesn't matter. I'm 18 and my friends that I personally know, from the same age group, show no slight interest even in high voltage electronics. And I could go now and brag to them that I have constructed X-rays at home and therefore I'm superior. I won't do it, however, and thank God he didn't award me with such boneheadness.

Proud Mary wrote ...
...buy a modern X-ray dosimeter, and a big roll of 2mm lead sheeting...
Yes and you have forgot to include the newest modern ion-camber-based scintillation detector to my checklist. One can't rely on his GM-tube-based radiometer when working with soft x-rays, even if the tube is equipped with a mica window (through which soft gamma, and even alpha particles easily pass through)... can he?

Sorry Proud Mary for a comment like this, however please don't underestimate my experience with X-rays, if you don't mind. I'm always open to helpful hints, but there's no need to instruct me what I should and shouldn't do. As you have seen I have succeeded to make X-rays with a classic coolidge-type medical tube. And I'm still here, alive and kicking. No burns, no radiation sickness, no possibility of increased cancer and no radiography of my body parts. I always keep a safe distance.

All I wanted were hints how to get on with these Soviet tubes (or reasons why I should avoid them wide-range), or else I will have to find myself a real 50Hz x-ray transformer, to get such nice pictures as Anders M. obtained.
The real reason why I started looking after those Soviet tubes was the Russian video.

Thanks for understanding.
1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: