Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Nicko (56)

Next birthdays
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DRSSTC: choosing the "right" surge impedance

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Luca
Tue Mar 30 2010, 02:27PM Print
Luca Registered Member #2481 Joined: Mon Nov 23 2009, 03:07PM
Hi guys,
I am planning my (first) DRSSTC.

Some specs:

Secondary: diameter=14cm (5.5 in) length 60 cm (23.5 in) 1600 turns AWG 28
topload 10x50 cm toroid (4x20 in)
res. freq. 110kHz

Full bridge of IXGN60N60C2D1 at 320VDC

I am going to set the max peak current to about 600A, in order to avoid excessive stress on the IGBTs

Now, I have to design primary circuit...

I understand that less impedance means higher current and faster secondary voltage build-up, but, in terms of performance (spark length) which value of surge impedance should I choose?
Now I am considering something between 150-200nF primary cap which gives 10-7.5 ohnm of impedance.

Thanks for any help

Regards,

Luca

Goodchild
Tue Mar 30 2010, 03:28PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
umm.. I would go with a lower OCD value for the 60N60s I would go no more than 500A with thoses.
Steve Conner
Tue Mar 30 2010, 06:04PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I choose the surge impedance to be about 10 times the inverter's output impedance, but Steve Ward's newer coils have a lower impedance and seem to work great, so now I'd say 5 times. Anything between 5 and 10 seems to work, though.

The formula I use for the inverter output impedance is (4/pi)*(DC bus voltage/current limit) but since it's just a rough estimate, you can leave out the 4/pi.

And if it were a half bridge inverter, you'd need to divide the impedance by 2.
Mads Barnkob
Tue Mar 30 2010, 07:02PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Goodchild wrote ...

umm.. I would go with a lower OCD value for the 60N60s I would go no more than 500A with thoses.

Steve Ward wrote this on his site about the 40N60 IGBTs

3/16/05:

A lot has changed. New secondary (6.5"x21" 30awg) and now running on primary feedback. Also a new MMC, 5 strings of 2 caps in series for .375uF. A new primary was needed to tune (requires 7 turns now). The primary is tuned to 55khz, the secondary Fr is about 75khz. Sparks easily hit 6' with measured 650A+ in the primary circuit. I tested these IGBTs to over 1000A at 95khz so this should be no problem at all. Everything runs nice and cool at 55khz and the sparks are pretty darn hot! Enjoy some pictures from today (notice the red LED on the base of the coil, indicating that the overcurrent circuit tripped). The coil was running 120bps and 150uS on period.
Goodchild
Tue Mar 30 2010, 11:59PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
Mads Barnkob wrote ...

Goodchild wrote ...

3/16/05:

A lot has changed. New secondary (6.5"x21" 30awg) and now running on primary feedback. Also a new MMC, 5 strings of 2 caps in series for .375uF. A new primary was needed to tune (requires 7 turns now). The primary is tuned to 55khz, the secondary Fr is about 75khz. Sparks easily hit 6' with measured 650A+ in the primary circuit. I tested these IGBTs to over 1000A at 95khz so this should be no problem at all. Everything runs nice and cool at 55khz and the sparks are pretty darn hot! Enjoy some pictures from today (notice the red LED on the base of the coil, indicating that the overcurrent circuit tripped). The coil was running 120bps and 150uS on period.

Well ya those are 40N60s there a hell of a lot better than 60N60s ive personaly tested 60N60s and they fail at about 600A to 700A
Luca
Wed Mar 31 2010, 08:30AM
Steve McConner wrote ...

I choose the surge impedance to be about 10 times the inverter's output impedance, but Steve Ward's newer coils have a lower impedance and seem to work great, so now I'd say 5 times. Anything between 5 and 10 seems to work, though.

The formula I use for the inverter output impedance is (4/pi)*(DC bus voltage/current limit) but since it's just a rough estimate, you can leave out the 4/pi.

And if it were a half bridge inverter, you'd need to divide the impedance by 2.

Well, in my case that would be around 6.5 ohm which means about 230nF...

Thanks for the info

Luca
Mads Barnkob
Wed Mar 31 2010, 09:05AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Goodchild wrote ...

Mads Barnkob wrote ...

Goodchild wrote ...

3/16/05:

Well ya those are 40N60s there a hell of a lot better than 60N60s ive personaly tested 60N60s and they fail at about 600A to 700A

One wouldn't know from looking in the datasheets, the 60N60 are superior in almost any aspect.
Luca
Wed Mar 31 2010, 09:14AM
Mads Barnkob wrote ...

Goodchild wrote ...

Mads Barnkob wrote ...

Goodchild wrote ...

3/16/05:

One wouldn't know from looking in the datasheets, the 60N60 are superior in almost any aspect.

I made the same remark looking at the datasheets. Both the nominal and peak currents are the same for the two devices...

I will try 600A and let's see what happen rolleyes

Luca
Steve Ward
Wed Mar 31 2010, 09:53PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Ive had questionable results when pushing the IXYS 60N60 parts, they seemed to explode when the older fairchild parts did not. I suspect the die size is actually smaller for the IXYS compared to the fairchild.

You can always give it a try and see how it works.

But as ive said before, im no longer into pushing parts way beyond their specifications, it doesnt get you anywhere in the long run. Unless you really go through the thermal transient modeling (which unfortunately the 60N60 datasheet is screwed up) and prove that the delta Temp on the die is quite safe, then you guys are mostly just pulling numbers out of your ass.

My thoughts on surge impedance: faster rise time seems to be more efficient at producing the longest sparks for a given power consumption. You are ultimately limited by the silicon and other resistive losses. I think the guideline Conner gave is pretty good if you dont have any other idea of where to start. If you are seeking to minimize peak current, then you likely want a higher surge impedance, but too high means that you cant dump as much energy into the sparks (the system is held back). I have found that i can achieve a moderate spark length with a high Z primary at some low current, and when using a low Z primary it takes more peak current to get the same spark. The only difference is that the low Z primary still has the ability to go much beyond and produce even bigger sparks, at a cost of even higher primary current.

Going further, it seemed to me that small coils could never be optimized for a really fast energy transfer in the same way that big coils could be. So small coils are often detuned so that they only excite 1 pole frequency which allows the secondary voltage to grow un-bounded before spark breakdown (it essentially removes the notch). But, on big coils i found that i didnt need to detune the primary to get good performance, and tuning it for a "notched" waveform yields a better net energy transfer to the secondary, making operating more efficient than the detuned method.

Its difficult to explain this in a short forum post. For anyone interested, i suggest you read up on Antonio's theoretical description of the DRSSTC

Link2

Its sort of a pre-requisite to really understanding the subtleties of DRSSTCs, they can really be quite complex if you want them to be. Or, just tune for maximum smoke if you dont want to be bothered with all the thinking.

I also recommend Antonio's DRSSTCD program, just be mindful that with any simulation: garbage in = garbage out. It takes a bit of interpretation and working with a real system to know whether or not the results are realistic when you have a spark shooting off the top of your coil (which is, afterall the hardest part of all of this analysis).
Luca
Thu Apr 01 2010, 09:14AM
Steve Ward wrote ...

Ive had questionable results when pushing the IXYS 60N60 parts, they seemed to explode when the older fairchild parts did not. I suspect the die size is actually smaller for the IXYS compared to the fairchild.

Steve, I have found two different 60N60 parts from IXYS...

IXGN60N60: datasheet dated 2000. Datasheet quite poor (no graphs), max peak current is 200A, 1ms @ 25°C

IXGN60N60C2: datasheet dated 2009. Two times faster than the older part (half the gate charge) and max peak current is 300A, 1ms @ 25°C

By extrapolation of the output characteristic, I assume that with a collectror current of 300A Vce is about 4.5V (Vge=15V). So, a peak current of 300 A with a period of 1ms means a pulse with energy of 1.35J.

Considering a pulse of 700A with a Vce of 10V (rough estimate) and a duration of 100us the dissipated energy is 0.7J... In theory, no problem of junction over heating...

Luca
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: