Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Nicko (56)

Next birthdays
04/19 Nicko (56)
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Melting rock salt in a clay-graphite crucible

Move Thread LAN_403
Billybobjoe
Sun Apr 05 2009, 05:47PM
Billybobjoe Registered Member #396 Joined: Wed Apr 19 2006, 12:55AM
I picked up a small clay graphite crucible (same as the first one pictured here Link2 to use in a small electric kiln I have. I've always wanted to melt and pour some sodium chloride, so I filled up the crucible with rock salt (halite) and heated it up (to around 1500F).

Upon melting, the salt began to smoke quite vigorously, but I assumed this was because of impurities burning off, so I poured the salt into a metal container where it solidified. I did spill a bit on the side of the crucible because I wasn't used to the low surface tension of the salt when compared with aluminum, etc. I was hoping to be done here.

But I was left with a crucible apparently impregnated with salt, which was still smoking heavily. So I put it back into the kiln, hoping to burn of whatever was smoking. A coating of something started growing on the outside of the crucible, so I scraped it off. It promptly grew back, so I scraped it again . . . eventually that stopped.

I was getting pretty angry by the point so I allowed everything to cool, then just washed the crucible with water, hoping to dissolve the salt left in it. After thoroughly drying it, and firing it according to the instructions to rid it of any moisture, I heated it up to around 1700F (925C), and of cource it began smoking again.

The smoke is white in color and smells like chlorine. It "condenses" on the vent hole of the kiln and tastes salty in the air.

What could this be and how can I get rid of it? I'm a bit weary of soaking my crucible in water for any significant period of time. There is no way I could have reached the boiling point of NaCl or even any of the common impurities of rock salt (KCl, CaSO4). The vapor pressure of NaCl at this approximate temperature is only 1 mm Hg. Maybe the salt reacted with some of the "clay" components of the crucible? There is still some hard residue of something on the outside.

I really should have just used regular table salt . . .
Bored Chemist
Sun Apr 05 2009, 07:30PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
I know that salt reacts with hot clay; I'm not sure about graphite/clay mixtures but it wouldn't shock me.
Link2
Chris
Fri May 01 2009, 12:22AM
Chris Registered Member #8 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:34AM
I do not think you are dealing with any impurities here.

Molten salts are fairly volatile; the smoke was probably salt vapor. Molten calcium chloride actually reacts with water in the air and especially flame exhaust to form HCl and CaO but I have never experienced this with sodium chloride when I have melted it. As such calcium chloride melts smoke much more vigorously than NaCl melts. I can say though that fused NaCl is volatile and smells salty and acrid, and it may well be that the vapor can react with air or water vapor. Also fused salts have incredibly low surface tension and are very "thin" and capable of seeping through the smallest pores. Porous things that can hold water often cannot hold fused salts. Your clay graphite crucible is likely porous enough that it can soak through. Not only that but fused salts are an excellent solvent for nearly all metal oxides and other minerals including the clay portion of your crucible. The growth you were getting on the outside was probably material from the clay being deposited on the outside by the NaCl as it soaked through.
Billybobjoe
Fri May 01 2009, 07:47PM
Chris wrote ...

I do not think you are dealing with any impurities here.

Molten salts are fairly volatile; the smoke was probably salt vapor. Molten calcium chloride actually reacts with water in the air and especially flame exhaust to form HCl and CaO but I have never experienced this with sodium chloride when I have melted it. As such calcium chloride melts smoke much more vigorously than NaCl melts. I can say though that fused NaCl is volatile and smells salty and acrid, and it may well be that the vapor can react with air or water vapor. Also fused salts have incredibly low surface tension and are very "thin" and capable of seeping through the smallest pores. Porous things that can hold water often cannot hold fused salts. Your clay graphite crucible is likely porous enough that it can soak through. Not only that but fused salts are an excellent solvent for nearly all metal oxides and other minerals including the clay portion of your crucible. The growth you were getting on the outside was probably material from the clay being deposited on the outside by the NaCl as it soaked through.

Thanks - that sounds spot on. When you're taking the proper safety precautions, learning from experience is probably the best way - I was very surprised at how low the surface tension of the molten NaCl was.

When you melted NaCl what sort of crucible did you use? Pure graphite?

Chris
Sat May 02 2009, 03:43AM
I have only melted such salts in steel vessels, since I had heard beforehand that they could dissolve and/or soak through any ceramic crucible. I have experienced its low surface tension firsthand though by observing it seep through welds which are normally quite capable of holding water. For the remainder my fused salt endeavors I shall be using vessels which are internally plated with a heavy layer of sulfamate nickel.
Proud Mary
Sat May 02 2009, 05:41AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
I have no personal experience of using microwave kilns, but it should be possible to make one for rather less than the commercial types, such as these:

Link2

Link2

Link2
Chris
Sat May 02 2009, 10:00AM
Well you can often get large graphite stock on ebay, which is an excellent microwave absorber and should hold the salt. Drill it out and insulate with some kaowool and you'd be good to go. However I don't think a microwave kiln would be particularly useful for Billybobjoe's endeavors since I assume he needs direct access to the melt for whatever he is doing.
Billybobjoe
Sat May 02 2009, 04:45PM
Chris wrote ...

I have experienced its low surface tension firsthand though by observing it seep through welds which are normally quite capable of holding water. For the remainder my fused salt endeavors I shall be using vessels which are internally plated with a heavy layer of sulfamate nickel.

That is very impressive. I wish I would have known that a few weeks ago . . .

Anyhow, I already have a small electric kiln - this experiment didn't have any specific purpose. It was really "for fun" and for the sake of melting salt. Had I known it was going to ruin my crucible I probably wouldn't have even attempted it (and I likely won't again any time in the future). Interesting stuff though - especially those microwave kilns.
wastehl
Thu May 28 2009, 07:51AM
wastehl Registered Member #1188 Joined: Sun Dec 23 2007, 12:18AM
A late post, rock salt is not pure NaCl, it contains significant quantities of magnesium salts and phosphates. The propensity for alkaline salts to dissolve metallic oxides in fusion is well documented. We are actually using alkaline fusion to dissolve alumina and have been successful. I have had good luck with silicon carbide crucibles, but would avoid clay based crucibles, whether partially graphite or not. I have had good luck with pure graphite crucibles in a vacuum, but ate up a pure nickel crucible like it was not there. Tricky business this...

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: