Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
GrantX (34)

Next birthdays
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
03/31 Swedish Coiler (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Marx generator with homemade capacitors

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Flatox
Thu Sept 08 2011, 11:09AM Print
Flatox Registered Member #4087 Joined: Thu Sept 08 2011, 09:54AM
Hi there !

I am new to this great forum, and english is not my first language so please be indulgent.

I have made this post to present and share this project.

The marx gen itself is an 8 stages unipolar model with charging resistors. The capacitors are homemade type with rolled "plastic wallet" and aluminium foil. I measured their capcitance and they all have about 2.3nF. I don't know how many kV they can withstand but they were fine at 30-40kV. Charging resistors are made of three 330k 1W resistors put in series. Spark gaps are bent copper wire. The overall assembly is mounted vertically on a PVC pipe, drilled to hold the long capacitors.

P1040610

P1040611

P1040612

The power supply is a simple 555 and mosfet driving a monitor LOPT, with the quasi resonant mod posted by Dr. Kilovolt (thanks BTW shades ) I don't know the exact ouput voltage, but it should be arround 20-30kV.

Main spark gap of the marx generator is set to approx. 18cm, and the repetition rate is about 1/second, depending on the first spark gap sapcing. Sparks are loud and bright, but nos as bright and thick as the video and picture show.

Here is the link to the YT video :

Spark picture :

Thanks for reading, and feel free to comment smile
magnet18
Thu Sept 08 2011, 11:14AM
magnet18 Registered Member #3766 Joined: Sun Mar 20 2011, 05:39AM
Nice sparks, well done!
Are you open to critiques on your English? It's very good
AleSeg
Thu Sept 08 2011, 12:46PM
AleSeg Registered Member #2727 Joined: Tue Mar 09 2010, 02:39PM
Hey, Good work !!

Can you give us a better detailed description of your "plastic wallet" capacitors model?
What kind of plastic have you used ?

thanx
Flatox
Thu Sept 08 2011, 06:01PM
Thanks for your comments smile

I was sure the term "plastic wallet" would mean nothing in english, but at least i tried ! I don't how it is called in english, here is a picture of it :

Pp

This is the dielectric. I cut the holes and just keep the plastic sheet, in fact, there are two thin plastic sheet in each one. To make the capacitors, I put two "see the picture above", one aluminium foil sheet with a wire, three plastic sheet, one aluminium foil sheet with the other wire and then to finish, one plastic sheet. I roll this around a small PVC pipe, and secure the whole assembly with tape. So, anywhere in the capacitor, there are atleast 3 "plastic wallet" between each opposite polarity plate, that is to say 6 plastic foil. I also make sure that the aluminium plate have enough clearence to the edge of the plastic sheet to prevent arc over.

I am not sure of what plastic type the dielectric is made, as it is not labelled on the box, but I think it is PP.

So far, I haven't got any failure while running them at 30kV, and they do their job quite well for something that is home made.

The overall cost of this marx generator is about 8$ (I only count the parts that I bought especially to build it).
magnet18
Thu Sept 08 2011, 07:39PM
generally that's called a divider or separator or something along those lines
to be honest I'm not entirely sure of the name myself tongue
Ash Small
Thu Sept 08 2011, 07:55PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
magnet18 wrote ...

I think you are confusing these with dividers. These are like an envelope that you put a sheet of paper inside, to protect it. I think I've seen them called wallets in the shops.
magnet18
Thu Sept 08 2011, 10:39PM
Ash Small wrote ...

magnet18 wrote ...

I think you are confusing these with dividers. These are like an envelope that you put a sheet of paper inside, to protect it. I think I've seen them called wallets in the shops.

We're also across the ocean from each other, so they might be called different things.
I know at my school we usually call them "those 3 ring divider things"
Forty
Fri Sept 09 2011, 12:56AM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
how about "page protectors"
if you could manage to slide a sheet of aluminum foil inside of them neatly, you could slap two together and roll them as a capacitor.
Ash Small
Fri Sept 09 2011, 01:51AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
magnet18 wrote ...

.I know at my school we usually call them "those 3 ring divider things"

On our side of the pond we refer to that kind of corruption of the English language as 'Americanisms' smile
Flatox
Tue Sept 13 2011, 05:42PM
Hi again,

I am having a minor problem with the marx, and thing that I do not understand, so I ask you guys smile

My power supply is a 555 driving a flyback, but I am running the Hv side of the flyback ungrounded, I know this is bad, but I don't understand why.

The fact is that if i connect the HVGND of the flyback to the GND of the low voltage side, the marx does not work anymore. It fires erratically, the whole assembly is making a huge corona noise and most charging resistors are arcing over, which is bad. Once I unground the HV side of the flyback, the marx run perfectly well. How is it possible ?

Also, when I run the marx with the flyback ungrounded, each time the marx fires, I can see a small spark at the flyback's bottom, running from the HV GND to the core, even if the whole bottom of the flyback is "sealed" with hot glue. Is it happening because of a high potential running on the HV side ?

Thanks for enlighting me shades
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: