All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Small Tesla Coil using disposable camera transformers

Move Thread LAN_403
Tesla C
Mon Jan 26 2009, 05:32PM
Tesla C Registered Member #1551 Joined: Wed Jun 18 2008, 06:21PM
Zenador wrote ...

Tesla C wrote ...

Well the flash caps are rated at 330 and somewhere around 120µF. But as for the silver ones which can be seen in the picture i'am not sure what they are rated at. But maybe someone else can tell us what they are rated at.

The large flash caps are 300V to 330V, and 120uF to 160uF. The caps in the multiplier (yellow or silver) are 1nF @ 200V, or 1nF @ 400V (I have seen both the 200V and 400V varieties.) and are easily damaged. Excessive heat (from de-soldering and re-soldering) has caused breakdowns between the layers, which can then be seen arcing internally.

I couldn't find my specific part numbers online, so I took one to my electronics shop, found an equivalent cap (by package) and compared the identification. They are most likely identified like 103k200 which breaks down as (iirc):

1 = (capacitance in nF)
03 = multiplier factor
k = ?
200 = voltage

Z
Yeah I saw the ratings on the silver or yellow ones with ratings like that and didn't under stand what they meant by it, so thanks for sharing that information. Although what that K means being unknown hopefully it doesn't matter much.
MRacerxdl
Tue Jan 27 2009, 01:51PM
MRacerxdl Registered Member #989 Joined: Sat Sept 08 2007, 02:15AM
103 => 10 and 3 zeros pF so: 10.000pF or 10nF
Killa-X
Wed Jan 28 2009, 03:55AM
Killa-X Registered Member #1643 Joined: Mon Aug 18 2008, 06:10PM
I just hooked only 8 capacitors on the multiplier, and when i turned it on, i got a lot of hissing near the ground due to ions, but eventually it stoped working. Cut off a few diodes and caps, and worked again, and then stopped. Is there any thing im doing wrong here besdies touching leads to the grounds to make it snap?
Myke
Wed Jan 28 2009, 06:26AM
Myke Registered Member #540 Joined: Mon Feb 19 2007, 07:49PM
It seems like there isn't a resistor in series with the output because of the snapping when you make it discharge to ground. The discharge's peak current might be exceeding the peak current of the diodes causing them to fail.
flannelhead
Wed Jan 28 2009, 07:16AM
flannelhead Registered Member #952 Joined: Mon Aug 13 2007, 11:07AM
Myke wrote ...

It seems like there isn't a resistor in series with the output because of the snapping when you make it discharge to ground. The discharge's peak current might be exceeding the peak current of the diodes causing them to fail.
That's very likely the case. It has happened to me more than once.
Use a limiting resistor if you want to keep your multiplier alive!
Jamil merali
Tue Feb 10 2009, 03:30PM
Jamil merali Registered Member #1577 Joined: Sun Jul 06 2008, 05:16PM
could i use this as a power supply
Link2
whats the easiest way to wind a coil
flannelhead
Tue Feb 10 2009, 03:38PM
Jamil merali wrote ...

Link2
I suppose it would work, I don't know how much output current will it be able to supply. Still, getting some used disposable cameras shouldn't be too much trouble.
Jamil merali wrote ...

For coils of this size I suggest just holding the former in your one hand and the wire in the other. Start turning the former with one hand and guide the wire with the other. That's how I wound my coil.
Duality
Thu Feb 19 2009, 02:40PM
Duality Registered Member #1951 Joined: Sun Feb 01 2009, 01:59PM
For coils of this size I suggest just holding the former in your one hand and the wire in the other. Start turning the former with one hand and guide the wire with the other. That's how I wound my coil.

that is how i wind all of my coils :P

EDIT:
is it possible to use your own build charge cap for the tesla circuit?
anny ideas about why my cascade does not work?
anny point's i can check?
Arcstarter
Fri Feb 20 2009, 12:40AM
Arcstarter Registered Member #1225 Joined: Sat Jan 12 2008, 01:24AM
Jamil merali wrote ...

Link2
I don't think that would work. It seems that it is a piezoelectric 'thing'. it puts out no real current, and i am sure that no matter how small our cap (within reason) it would not be able to charge it fast enough.
flannelhead
Fri Feb 20 2009, 12:16PM
Arcstarter wrote ...

I don't think that would work. It seems that it is a piezoelectric 'thing'. it puts out no real current, and i am sure that no matter how small our cap (within reason) it would not be able to charge it fast enough.
I think those little negative ion generators are based on small 'flyback-like' ferrite core transformers, just like disposable camera flashes are. But still, the one sold by Goldmine is said to draw only 50mA at 12V. That makes only 0,6VA and I suppose that is not enough. However it could possibly draw more current when under load. I might be wrong, though. Better to go with at least two disposable camera transformers. Better yet, try finding a bigger ferrite core and wind your own flyback transformer. Then you could drive it with a 555+MOSFET driver.

BTW, I've got a crazy idea. What about building a small ZVS flyback driver with two BS170 and power a disposable camera transformer with that thing? (with replaced primary, of course)

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: