All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Driving 'Fiddy's Flybacks' in flyback mode.

Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Wed Nov 19 2014, 08:26PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I've been giving the board layout quite a bit of thought, and, as I mentioned above, it really does seem that using as many SMD components as possible is by far the best way to reduce parasitic inductance, as this facilitates the shortest distances between other conponents, thus keeping wire and track lengths as short as possible.

Having read this article, Link2 along with the comments below it, it would appear that 'reflow soldering' isn't beyond my ability, so the current plan is to use Maplin stripbpard, with SMD components mounted on the side with the copper strips, and all the non SMD components mounted on the reverse side of the board.

Then I can mount the SMD components in one go, and then flip the board over and mount the non-SMD components, soldering these by hand.

It could take a while to sort out the board layout especially as I haven't finalised all the components yet. The other thing I still need to give some thought to is the foil primary. My initial thought on this are aluminium foil with paper insulation and crimped connections, with twisted wires from the board to the flyback to reduce inductance.

Shrad
Thu Nov 20 2014, 10:25AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
what about a custom lamination tool to flatten classic copper wire?

I guess it would be relatively easy to construct a set of successive steel rollers which would be geared to a motor... no?
Ash Small
Thu Nov 20 2014, 12:25PM
Shrad wrote ...

what about a custom lamination tool to flatten classic copper wire?

I guess it would be relatively easy to construct a set of successive steel rollers which would be geared to a motor... no?

Copper foil is easy enough to obtain. The simplest 'custom tool to flatten wire' is a hammer and anvil wink
Shrad
Thu Nov 20 2014, 12:45PM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
yeah, but I meant "in a reliable, repeatable and consistent way" ;)
Ash Small
Sat Nov 22 2014, 07:55PM
Well, I'e started thinking about board layout, and come up with the sketch below:

1416686124 3414 FT167108 Board

(This is 'looking down onto the 556', with pin 1 at top left, although the SMD components are on the reverse of the board. It's just drawn this way, to show the relative positions of everything.)

The IC socket and MOSFET (not shown) are on one side of the board, the SMD components are on the other, with the copper strips.

Blue for SMD ceramic capacitors, red for thick film SMD resistors and green for SMD Shottky diodes.

There are currently ten x 10uF ceramic capacitors between Vcc and GND, equalling 100uF right at the 556. I've gone with the concensus and used Shottkys for ground bounce protection, with just a gate resistor between the OUT and GATE pins.

I've not added the potentiometers or switched capacitors yet and I've not added the components in red on the schematic.

I've included the schematic in the sketch, so it's easier to follow.

Once again, any comments/suggestions will be welcome wink

EDIT: I've just noticed I've left a capacitor off pin 11, and maybe I should add capacitors to pins 4 and 10, with one side connected to Vcc and the other connected to GND.
Sulaiman
Sun Nov 23 2014, 01:55PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Although schottky diodes are excellent, high voltage high current units aren't cheap,
at the frequencies used for flybacks you can use UF400x, UF540x etc. (x = 8 for 1kV)

I still think that a bunch of TVSs is better than a resistor for the snubber
(try TVSs for MkII)

Where does the +Vcc come from?
if you are using transfromer/bridge rectifier/reservoir capacitor/regulator
you could take the +ve supply for the transformer primary from the reservoir capacitor
this allows a simple low power regulator (7812 etc.) for the 555/556
and max power available to the primary.
Higher primary dc supply usually gives better efficiency
due to 'lost' voltages across transistor, diodes etc. and lower current for a given power.

Last but not least, be sure to use a traditional 555/556 and not the low power CMOS types,
that often do not have the required current output.
Ash Small
Sun Nov 23 2014, 03:46PM
Sulaiman wrote ...

Although schottky diodes are excellent, high voltage high current units aren't cheap,
at the frequencies used for flybacks you can use UF400x, UF540x etc. (x = 8 for 1kV)

Do you mean the MOSFET protection Shottkys or the 'ground bounce' protection Shottkys on the output of the 556?

I understood that the ground bounce Shottkys don't need to be anywhere near 1kV. I was actually planning to use 600V devices for the MOSFET protection.

Sulaiman wrote ...

I still think that a bunch of TVSs is better than a resistor for the snubber
(try TVSs for MkII)

I probably will add some TVS's, I've not given the snubber circuit a lot of thought yet.

Sulaiman wrote ...

Where does the +Vcc come from?
if you are using transfromer/bridge rectifier/reservoir capacitor/regulator
you could take the +ve supply for the transformer primary from the reservoir capacitor
this allows a simple low power regulator (7812 etc.) for the 555/556
and max power available to the primary.
Higher primary dc supply usually gives better efficiency
due to 'lost' voltages across transistor, diodes etc. and lower current for a given power.

Initially I'll run everything from 12V, although it will be fairly simple to increase coil voltage at a later date. As I understand it, the 'reflected voltage' is a product of 'turns ratio' and output voltage, so I should be able to increase primary voltage without needing higher voltage components, this should just result in shorter 'on' times, in order to maintain the same 'volt seconds'.
Erlend^SE
Sun Nov 23 2014, 07:08PM
Erlend^SE Registered Member #1565 Joined: Wed Jun 25 2008, 09:08PM
Quick idea: add a extra winding to return the excess power to the supply. (winding + diode).

Have less windings than the primary, so it's still possible to build a bigger flyback voltage.
Non-delivered energy is returned to the supply, for use on the next pulse)

It may able be possible to have a winding to make the controller cut back the duty when it starts to generate more than a given voltage (feedback)

None of this apply, if a SMPS controller is used, given it's used with secondary feedback.
Ash Small
Sun Nov 23 2014, 07:17PM
Erlend^SE wrote ...

Quick idea: add a extra winding to return the excess power to the supply. (winding + diode).

Have less windings than the primary, so it's still possible to build a bigger flyback voltage.
Non-delivered energy is returned to the supply, for use on the next pulse)

It may able be possible to have a winding to make the controller cut back the duty when it starts to generate more than a given voltage (feedback)

None of this apply, if a SMPS controller is used, given it's used with secondary feedback.

Yes, I've seen this idea before, thanks for reminding me about it. It's certainly something I intend to experiment with once it's up and running.
Ash Small
Mon Nov 24 2014, 08:33PM
Ok, so this is the board layout for all the components on the schematic except those in red.

SMD capacitors are blue, SMD Schottky diodes are green and SMD thick film resistors are red.

Potentiometers are 22 turn cermet that I happened to have lying around. The switches in the schematic have become 'jumpers' in the board layout, as these take up less space (I think) and are cheap.

I'm currently working on the layout of the MOSFET and schottky diodes, all of which need separate heatsinks, I think. (EDIT: I think one Schottky diode can go on the same heatsink as the MOSFET, so three heatsinks in all, I suppose.)

I'll then look at snubber placement.

The number of smoothing capacitors has increased to 18 at the moment, which is 180uF. I expect it will end up with more. I'm just adding them where it's convenient, can't do any harm, can it?
1416861200 3414 FT167108 Board

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: