hvguy (41)
thehappyelectron (14)
Justin (2024)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

First tesla coil thread - Dual Mot

Move Thread LAN_403
Kizmo
Sun Dec 15 2013, 08:07PM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
Hey that looks great! What was your power input? You may gain some spark by doing more careful tuning.

Also, bigger toroid would help too, these spark gappers seem to love large top loads :)
MrFlatox
Sun Dec 15 2013, 10:10PM
MrFlatox Registered Member #9349 Joined: Mon Jan 07 2013, 08:50AM
Thank you ! When it runs, it draws about 16A @240V. As my breaker is rated for 16A, I only do short tests because otherwise it will trip off.

As for the tuning, it's rather hard, because I could not see any difference in the output when tapping from 4 turns to 3.25 turns. I could definitely add another toroid on the actual one or make a bigger one as long as it does not move my tapping point outside of my short primary coil (4.75turns max).
Hydron
Mon Dec 16 2013, 08:11AM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
Hey congratulations on getting it going in the end, looks good!

And yeah, as I found with my DRSSTC the noise level is extreme. While it is impressive, it would be much easier if it were quieter, especially this time of year (doesn't get dark till nearly 9pm at the moment here in New Zealand, so keeping neighbours happy is hard).
MrFlatox
Tue Dec 17 2013, 09:53AM
Thanks

ah ! I don't have this problem at this time since it's dark at 5pm, and freezing cold. Neighbours stay inside, but even then, they will clearly hear it ! cheesey

Another thing I saw, is that sometimes, the RF field poduced by the tesla coil cuts my internet connection if the coil is too close of the ADSL buried cable frown Still, definitely worth it !
MrFlatox
Sun Dec 22 2013, 11:42AM
Hi,

I did some more tests, and noticed that without breakout point, most of the sparks the coil produces directly hit the ground rail around the primary. I know that this rail is there for this very reason, but I would like streamers to fly everywhere rather than to the bottom. Is there any way to achieve this ? Maybe add more spacing between the toroid and secondary winding end ?

I also added a little more capacitance to the topload (a stainless steel salad bowl), and after tuning the coil, it performs a little bit better.

Here is a few long exposure pictures, as you can see, most streamers are hitting the ground rail.

830878DSC02028
320971DSC02024

Thanks, have a nice day.
Kizmo
Sun Dec 22 2013, 01:36PM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
I have found out that the toroid outer diameter should be quite a lot larger than the diameter of your base and strike rail. Then you wont get that many strike rail hits.

Here the outer diameter of my toroid was roughly 2x the diameter of the base. It worked really well up to 4x secondary length spark.

1387719337 599 FT157403 350vdc3
MrFlatox
Tue Dec 31 2013, 04:53PM
Hi !

I solved the issue stated above where the streamers mainly hit my ground rail. I added another toroid with a much smoother finish, which also make the streamers more beefy.

However, my two standing electrodes in the rotary spark gap cannot handle the heat, and they start to melt quickly. They are made of stainless steel, and this might not be the best material for this purpose ! see for yourself :
Even if the electrodes are attached to a large heatsink, they cannot evacuate the heat, and get red hot after less than a 30 seconds run, whereas the heatsink stay cool. I was wondering how copper electrodes would behave in this case. Copper will conduct away heat much better than SS, despite having a lower melting point. I will try those.

Here is a video of the coil with its new toroid, and the spark gap melting :

Happy new year ealier btw !
H. Love
Thu Jan 02 2014, 01:58AM
H. Love Registered Member #13419 Joined: Thu Apr 11 2013, 01:35AM
Nice stuff! I would recommend using tungsten for the spark gap electrodes, however, due to its high melting point. Tungsten is a bit more expensive though.
redruM69
Thu Jan 02 2014, 06:15AM
redruM69 Registered Member #31557 Joined: Tue Aug 06 2013, 02:38AM
I have a bunch of extra 1/8" tungsten. I can spare a couple if you want. PM me.
MrFlatox
Thu Jan 02 2014, 10:05AM
Thank you,

@ redruM69 : Are those electrodes the ones you used for your rotating electrodes and safety gap ? I don't know how they behave, but I would think that 1/8" (or 3.5 mm) is rather thin for static electrodes.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: