Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Red Alert Tesla project

Move Thread LAN_403
Tesladownunder
Sun Oct 21 2007, 11:05AM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
I think losses are trivial whether varnished or not, PVC or polypropylene. I chose polypropylene because the plastics place could make it up in this in a light but strong welded cylinder with caps. I had a few extra supports welded on a couple of months ago to make it sturdier and less prone to fall over in the wind like it did here in July. Remarkably little damage as it landed on the thick copper strike rail and bent it. The impact points were not where it failed recently.

Weather looks OK on Wednesday and I should have done a few coats by then. The motor has been running cool for 8 hours now rotating the former. I now need to work on a different figure as a target as well as a line braking system and I should be set. Takes the better part of a day to organise everything for another shoot.

TDU

1192963963 10 FT32031 Tesla18damage
Tenicus
Sun Oct 21 2007, 06:47PM
Tenicus Registered Member #864 Joined: Tue Jun 26 2007, 07:26PM
The next thing you must do is create the tesla trooper.

From the original red alert? He had a back pack and electrocuted people with his gun
or the tesla tank or whatever
it was slow as shit, but could electrocute those assholes
Tesladownunder
Thu Oct 25 2007, 12:04AM
Tenicus wrote ...

The next thing you must do is create the tesla trooper...
Hmmm... I sort of thought I did that.

I've fixed the TC and it runs OK. Had to get close to see if there was any sparking but it seemed good.
How close can you stand to a Tesla coil anyway?
Pic shows single 6 sec exposure.

TDU

1193270541 10 FT32031 Teslaracoilfixedtooclose
Ken M.
Thu Oct 25 2007, 12:35PM
Ken M. Registered Member #618 Joined: Sat Mar 31 2007, 04:15AM
Just out of curiosity, Since alot of your tesla coil photos are shot in your drive way, does the ground arcs leave marks on the concrete at all? Other than that very impressive TDU, glad to see it working again.
Mates
Thu Oct 25 2007, 03:21PM
Mates Registered Member #1025 Joined: Sun Sept 23 2007, 07:53PM
WhiteArc

... does the ground arcs leave marks on the concrete at all?

If there are any marks than you can call it Fulgurit. I know a guy taking pictures of these lightning rock-tatoos. Sorry the page is in Czech but pictures are easy to find...

Link2

V1
Tesladownunder
Thu Oct 25 2007, 05:00PM
WhiteArc wrote ...

Just out of curiosity, Since a lot of your tesla coil photos are shot in your drive way, does the ground arcs leave marks on the concrete at all?
It's an ordinary tarmac/asphalt/road type surface and I have never seen any marks on it. The spark often fans out a bit like in the detail of this 11ft arc strike point.
Didn't see any marks on the hire car either .....

Mates wrote ...

If there are any marks than you can call it Fulgurit. I know a guy taking pictures of these lightning rock-tatoos.
I knew about the fulgurite tubes formed from strikes in sand but I didn't know about the strikes to rocks directly. Of course my TC is not likely to cause that sort of stuff on one strike at least and my cap bank is just too explosive although peak currents are similar to lightning but not sustained. Maybe I should try with a continuous firing of my TC through a small volume of sand.

TDU

1193331502 10 FT32031 Tesla1811footstrikepoint
Nik
Thu Oct 25 2007, 08:37PM
Nik Registered Member #53 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:31AM
"Maybe I should try with a continuous firing of my TC through a small volume of sand."

A mot or two will melt sand quite nicely if you are going for quick and easy glass tubes.
Mates
Thu Oct 25 2007, 11:53PM
Just regarding your Tesla coil - weapon system, I've got an idea. What about to buy some plastic - toy rocket catapult (or crossbow) put on the top load and hang the string to the arrow. Than just solve some simple trigger and you can aim the lightening directly to the victim...
Tesladownunder
Fri Oct 26 2007, 02:17PM
Don't forget that this is not a weapon, it is a visual effect which I have already demonstrated. My problems are not in reaching a target but in combining all the effects in one shot. To get the visual effect, the sparks need to be multiple at any given point and the feed needs to be slow, controlled and horizontal.

Perhaps you are thinking of Greg Leyh's Lorentz gun. Weighing over a ton it has a range of 30 feet and is probably ineffective against anyone in a metal enclosure like a car. Totally cool though.

No-one commented on how close I was to the TC in the last of my photos above. I was actually about 20 feet away when the sparks were on. Took a flash first then went and turned the TC on while the camera was still in a 6 second exposure in darkness. If you look very closely the kerb is just visible through my legs. Even at 20 feet there is a tingle when I hold the variac from the surrounding fields.

TDU
Mates
Fri Oct 26 2007, 06:07PM
Tesladownunder wrote ...

Don't forget that this is not a weapon, it is a visual effect which I have already demonstrated. My problems are not in reaching a target but in combining all the effects in one shot. To get the visual effect, the sparks need to be multiple at any given point and the feed needs to be slow, controlled and horizontal.
TDU

I know it is not ment as regular weapon (everybody knows that - I hope). The point is that small harpoon with the wire fired from the topload could mimick the very long spark directed where do you want to, and it could be filmed like a real action (on running target - a dummy of course...) With fast and sensitive camera you could be able to chatch like the spark is slowly going to the target... It's just a suggestion for another Red Alert - like trick - bit complicated but maybe some movie-effect studio could offer you a contract for such stuff :)

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: