Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Building my first DRSSTC - Updated thread...

Move Thread LAN_403
nzoomed
Wed Jun 08 2016, 06:49AM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
orac12 wrote ...

Adjust your trigger level on the scope to try and get a better lock. Just scope one thing at a time, less chance of messing things up that way.

Remember the phasing of your CT has to be correct for it to run, you either change the polarity or the jumpers on your driver board. I think I had to run around 70 volts on the bus to get enough before it would start oscillating it self. Just run short on times (keep current low) and enough voltage to get it oscillating to check phase lead, even if its way off, at low voltage and low on times you shouldn't damage anything.

Yes, ive tried that with not much success, i can seem to lock the gates OK, its the bus that i cant get a lock onto.
Im pretty sure ive got the phase jumper set right, but i can configure the power transformer to about 110VAC.
Will try that and see how it goes.

I remember ive got a small variac that i can use to adjust the voltage more also.

Will keep you updated, if i dont get anywhere i may need a better scope.
nzoomed
Thu Jun 09 2016, 04:51AM
OK, i tested the coil with an isolation transformer and a small variac.

I turned the bus voltage up to around 100VDC and was getting huge sparks with a loud crack about 60mm long or more.

The coil is able to drive itself on its own, but im unsure if my phase lead is set right, is it possible i will need a different tunable inductor?

Its hard to explain, but ive added some shots from the scope. These tests were done with a heavy hammer in the centre.
The yellow trace is the bus voltage and the blue is the gate voltage.

This is the first Shot, as you can see there is significant ringing, you will see this drop with each cycle from left to right. It always seems to be the first pulse that gives the ringing and turning in the inductor does not do anything noticeable on the first cycle, but i can remove all the ringing to the right of this image as you will see on the next picture.

1465447897 54503 FT169902 Bb

You can see here with the ringing removed, the ringing after the second cycle was virtually invisible before, and now appears removed completley.

1465447897 54503 FT169902 Aa

here is a shot with the whole waveform showing with the timebase division shortened

1465447897 54503 FT169902 D

and one with it expanded out

1465447897 54503 FT169902 E

Are these results normal to expect?
Amy other ideas to improve this?
The ringing still present is my main concern
loneoceans
Thu Jun 09 2016, 05:08AM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
Looks just fine. My UD page explains why. Plug in your secondary already and you're good to go!
nzoomed
Thu Jun 09 2016, 05:40AM
loneoceans wrote ...

Looks just fine. My UD page explains why. Plug in your secondary already and you're good to go!

OK, thanks, i see what you are meaning by you cant remove all switching spikes.
I will firstly set the OCD to 800Apk and fire it up, i doubt I will be getting anywhere near that at this point anyway.
My only concern is the coil tuning, im hoping that it will be tuned near enough to give me sparks 2M or more.

Ill give you the dimensions later to add it to your DRSSTC's around the world if you like :)
nzoomed
Thu Jun 09 2016, 12:06PM
I got it running tonight with a higher bus voltage around 150-200VDC and its putting out sparks a good foot or more.
The higher notes seem to be less powerful and not want to produce a decent arc, but i think that this is probably because im running through a low current power supply and the pulse width of the lower notes allows for more duration between each cycle to charge the bus caps perhaps?

Some MIDI files are also better than others it seems.
Graham Armitage
Thu Jun 09 2016, 08:22PM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
Congrats on getting it running. Can you put another current transformer on the primary circuit with burden resistor and scope the output? That will show you what the current is doing during each pulse. Helpful in tuning too. Can easily see double envelopes, peak currents, OC protection kick-in. I just like watching what's happening to the primary circuit while it's running at full power.

What MIDI controller are you using? Some MIDI files I have to adjust note length because they are so short. Still sounds good enough. Also drop the whole song by an octave or two to avoid those really high notes. I also try avoid complex chords too. It's good that high notes are producing short sparks - the controller is protecting your coil for you :)
nzoomed
Thu Jun 09 2016, 10:49PM
Graham Armitage wrote ...

Congrats on getting it running. Can you put another current transformer on the primary circuit with burden resistor and scope the output? That will show you what the current is doing during each pulse. Helpful in tuning too. Can easily see double envelopes, peak currents, OC protection kick-in. I just like watching what's happening to the primary circuit while it's running at full power.

What MIDI controller are you using? Some MIDI files I have to adjust note length because they are so short. Still sounds good enough. Also drop the whole song by an octave or two to avoid those really high notes. I also try avoid complex chords too. It's good that high notes are producing short sparks - the controller is protecting your coil for you :)
OK, ill experiment with another CT attached.

The MIDI files are ones i downloaded from the onetesla and EVR forums, supposedly they were designed for tesla coil use.

Im still trying to learn the ropes in FL studio, there is so much to know.
I also want to find a way to sync midi files to play along to the real soundtrack like is seen on a few youtube videos.

The MIDI controller is the basic Mini MIDI controller by Phillip Slawinski
Graham Armitage
Fri Jun 10 2016, 03:35PM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
nzoomed wrote ...

I also want to find a way to sync midi files to play along to the real soundtrack like is seen on a few youtube videos.

Ok, I have the same controller - works well. For just playing basic MIDI and being able to quickly and easily modify the notes I use SpeedyMidi. To sync with the other tracks through a synthesizer I have to switch to AnvilStudio. Even still I purchased an add-on to allow me to output individual MIDI tracks to different ports. It also has the capability to advance or retard the tracks to keep them in synch as they are often a little off between tesla and synth ports. You need a good amp to match the volume of the spark noise which can't be adjusted. It does sound cool though.
nzoomed
Fri Jun 10 2016, 09:46PM
Graham Armitage wrote ...

nzoomed wrote ...

Ok, I have the same controller - works well. For just playing basic MIDI and being able to quickly and easily modify the notes I use SpeedyMidi. To sync with the other tracks through a synthesizer I have to switch to AnvilStudio. Even still I purchased an add-on to allow me to output individual MIDI tracks to different ports. It also has the capability to advance or retard the tracks to keep them in synch as they are often a little off between tesla and synth ports. You need a good amp to match the volume of the spark noise which can't be adjusted. It does sound cool though.

OK, i will check those programs out.
I know what you mean about advancing or retarding.
I tried this in FLstudio with not alot of success, i found that the notes on the MIDI track were slightly longer and the more you got into the song, the worse the lag was.
I was able to speed up the midi tracks and make the playback the same length, but it still sounded wrong.
Hopefully anvilstudio can do it better :)
Benjamin
Sat Jun 11 2016, 05:08PM
Benjamin Registered Member #54655 Joined: Thu Mar 19 2015, 05:56PM
I have good results with anvil studio, but I haven't figured out how to sync audio tracks to midi files yet.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: