hvguy (41)
thehappyelectron (14)
Justin (2024)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

First tesla coil thread - Dual Mot

Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Sun Nov 24 2013, 02:19PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I'll make another shortly, but I add a bag of salt to a pan of water and boil it, then allow it to cool a bit, then pour into the bottles while still hot. Some further salt solidifies out, but it's still super-saturated. If it's cold, more salt will solidify out.
redruM69
Sun Nov 24 2013, 05:01PM
redruM69 Registered Member #31557 Joined: Tue Aug 06 2013, 02:38AM
Watched the video. I'd also say the cap is the weak point. I've had limited success with glass beer bottles with my first coil. You could try swapping those PET bottles with glass. Just make sure its clear glass, and not the brown stuff. (Corona or similar.)
They do occasionally explode with a 15kv NST, but should last longer with MOTs.
Also, what are the specs on the secondary? I'll figure out a rough guestimate on primary tap tuning.
MrFlatox
Sun Nov 24 2013, 08:07PM
MrFlatox Registered Member #9349 Joined: Mon Jan 07 2013, 08:50AM
I will not make glass bottle capacitor, because if I go with 25mL beer bottles, I would need 175 of those ... I will go with a MMC, in fact, the same as yours RedruM69.

As for my secondary, there is approx. 1100 turns of 0.45mm wire. The winding length is 50 cm, for a 125mm diameter. My toroid dimensions are : 60cm outside diameter, 150mm duct diameter. I measured the resonance frequency of the secondary with a signal generator and an oscilloscope, and it turned out to be about 165kHz.
redruM69
Sun Nov 24 2013, 09:33PM
MrFlatox wrote ...

I will not make glass bottle capacitor, because if I go with 25mL beer bottles, I would need 175 of those ... I will go with a MMC, in fact, the same as yours RedruM69.

As for my secondary, there is approx. 1100 turns of 0.45mm wire. The winding length is 50 cm, for a 125mm diameter. My toroid dimensions are : 60cm outside diameter, 150mm duct diameter. I measured the resonance frequency of the secondary with a signal generator and an oscilloscope, and it turned out to be about 165kHz.

Tank capacitance value is not super critical in a async coil. You would just need to re-tune your primary coil

You could easily do it with 18 corona bottles. You'd have about 40-50nf.
That secondary has a calculated resonance of 147 kHz, so 165khz is in the ballpark.
With the ~50nf cap I describe, it should have a primary tap of around 7-8 turns.
It would work...

My first coil was a 4"x20", NST, static gap, and 12 beer bottles. I managed to achieve 24" streamers. Not optimal for sure, but at least it would give you something to tinker with until you built an MMC

MrFlatox
Sun Nov 24 2013, 10:37PM
Unfortunately, my primary coil is no longer than 4.75 turns ...
redruM69
Mon Nov 25 2013, 03:23AM
MrFlatox wrote ...

Unfortunately, my primary coil is no longer than 4.75 turns ...

Well, you would need to solder additional tubing to the end to make it larger then.

I was just trying to make the point that it didn't need to be ~130nf to be functional. I didn't even calculate mine to 131nf, it just ended up that way because its what I had, and it worked well. In fact the optimal size for mine is supposed to be ~293nf :)
MrFlatox
Mon Nov 25 2013, 11:06AM
Yes, I know that 130nF is not an optimal value at all, and that it cans work with various primary capacitance as long as the LC constant (resonance frequency) is the same. In my case, my primay capacitor must be at least 130nF because of the primary max turns of 4.75. I don't think I will solder an extension of the primay because the structure was not made to accomodate a much longer primary. In that case, I would be better of doing another primary. However, there is already notches to have one more primary turn.
Kizmo
Mon Nov 25 2013, 12:43PM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
And bigger capacitance means bigger bang energy which means more power and sparks :)

MrFlatox
Sat Dec 07 2013, 09:36AM
Hi there !

Thanks to kizmo, i now have 942c caps to make a mmc, i will start soon, but i was wondering about the usefullness of balancing resistor in a ac operated tesla coil. Does it serve any purpose of balancing the voltage accross each cap ?

Thanks
MrFlatox
Sun Dec 15 2013, 02:11PM
Hi !

At last, some good news ! Thanks to Kizmo for providing me some nice 942c caps, I built a mmc, and the tesla coil is now running fine. I went with a 7s7p configuration which gives me 14kV ans 150nF of primary tank capacitance.
I also redesign the spark gap to accomodate 8 moving electrodes, in order to achieve higher BPS. The results are quite good, and quite impressive for someone like me who had never built a tesla coil before. It's freaking loud, my neighbours are going to love me cheesey

MMC
18314720131208181528RichtoneHDR

New rotary spark gap

399064vlcsnap2013121514h17m00s80

781663vlcsnap2013121514h13m35s76

youtube video : Link2

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: