Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

10KVA DRSSTC (Complete)

first  4 5 6 7
Move Thread LAN_403
Finn Hammer
Sun Mar 27 2011, 08:09AM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Steve McConner wrote ...

Finn, that is the essence of the difference between "Mode 1" and "Mode 2".

In Mode 1 the burst length is exactly one "beat" of the two resonant frequencies. I don't know what happens if you carry on driving after the notch, but I seem to remember Steve W. told me it was something bad.

Daniel and I took a video of that, and it showed that we could save a lot of power input to the coil, without loosing streamer length, by cutting the PW to exactly the first notch. Thumper has lower coupling, so we setteled for 200uS.

wrote ...

In Mode 2, the burst length is long compared to one beat. Because the coupling is tighter than Mode 1, and also because the burst is longer.

Yes, but the primary and secondary are also not tuned to the same frequency, right?
AFAIU, the primary has to be tuned to the low pole to allow this mode to develop
wrote ...

So the primary waveform has several notches, that just look like a ripple. Because the modes are driven unequally, one of them dies out and the ripple disappears, at which point you are "QCW" and, streamer loading and inverter I2T permitting, can continue driving as long as you like.

Really only the first one is anything like a "notch". My PLL driver would unbalance the two modes enough from the start that I never even got a first notch, just a kind of dent in the envelope.

I remember seing something like that, during tuning of the 6 musical coils. Seems so long time ago. I setteled for tuning the primary to the low pole since that was the wisdom of the time.....
wrote ...

Mode 2 is theoretically less efficient, but in practice it seems to work fine. Steve's QCW is an extreme example of a Mode 2 DRSSTC, but some of his other coils are extreme examples of Mode 1. They are points on a continuum, I'm sure you can make one that is Mode 1 and a half. smile

Sure, when we slide the tapping point of Thumper past both modes we see this, even without being able to extract any hard evidence from it wink

Sheers, Finn Hammer
Steve Conner
Sun Mar 27 2011, 09:45AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
There are some relations between type of driver, primary tuning and mode of operation.

With a feedback driver: you get Mode 1 if the two coils are tuned the same, accounting for streamer capacitance. If you detune the primary in either direction, one of the two resonances starts to dominate and the notch gets shallower, tending towards Mode 2.

With a PLL you can't get Mode 1 at all as it has to choose one or other of the resonant frequencies. (the feedback driver can produce a waveform that contains both frequencies, but the PLL always oscillates at one frequency.) Detuning the primary makes no difference to this behaviour, it will always want to be Mode 2. A PLL driver should not be used for a coil designed to run in Mode 1.

In my old simulation work I ironically called Mode 2 "Ward Mode". Mode 1 was Antonio Mode, as Antonio de Queiroz showed that a notch could be created by tuning the PLL midway between the two resonant frequencies. But I couldn't get that to work: it's a zero, there is nothing for the PLL to lock to.

It is possible that the differences between modes 1 and 2 might get less significant as the streamer loading gets heavier.

With a PLL
Goodchild
Mon Mar 28 2011, 08:26PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
Well I finally got a chance to run the coil again, it's been raining the whole of last week.

I figured I would try some MIDI out on this coil just to see how it responded. Even though this coil needs long PW to make it's sparks MIDI seems to run on it very nicely.

I got some nice 10 foot sparks to ground and also the occasional 11 footer to the step still off to the right. The current limiter is still set to 800Apk with it only occasionally tripping during ground strikes. shades

Link2

The next time I run I plan to collect some data, my run last night was ended early due to the blistering cold wind. sad
Goodchild
Fri May 20 2011, 05:27AM
Ok so I finally finished this coil I pimped it out with two LED fans and 1W LEDs

I did a little walk around video to show off all the awesome lighting. If you watch closely there is a surprise at the end! shades Link2

Also Some photos

5738596645 7601608726

5738596643 De6dce9176
Dalus
Sun May 22 2011, 11:08AM
Dalus Registered Member #639 Joined: Wed Apr 11 2007, 09:09PM
Looking good. Hopefully you'll figure out what mode is the best for this coil.
Goodchild
Sun May 22 2011, 04:32PM
Dalus wrote ...

Looking good. Hopefully you'll figure out what mode is the best for this coil.

Well this coil is still what it was originally. It runs the best the way it was originally designed. smile
Dalus
Fri May 27 2011, 12:01PM
Nice to see that two completely different modes of operation can still yield these results. Was your coil easy to tune? Noticed my big coil needed to have the primary seriously detuned to compensate for the streamer loading. Took a while to find the sweet spot.

Do wonder how you play the chords. 2 tones I do understand but complete chords is something I don't grasp yet.

edit: Read your site. Just doing 2 tones per coil. Can grasp that smile
Goodchild
Fri May 27 2011, 05:35PM
Dalus wrote ...

Nice to see that two completely different modes of operation can still yield these results. Was your coil easy to tune? Noticed my big coil needed to have the primary seriously detuned to compensate for the streamer loading. Took a while to find the sweet spot.

Do wonder how you play the chords. 2 tones I do understand but complete chords is something I don't grasp yet.

edit: Read your site. Just doing 2 tones per coil. Can grasp that smile

Surprisingly I only moved the tap point 3 times tongue I guess I got lucky.

2 notes and complete chords are played using the same logic, OR logic. You also have to decrease the PW of every note depending on how many notes you add. The more notes the shorter the PW has to be. This is to maintain a some what constant duty cycles depending.
Dalus
Fri May 27 2011, 08:22PM
Same as the code that I've implemented then. Just limited to two notes per output at the moment. My coil is a pita when it comes to tuning. Each time I up the power it needs to be retuned for the streamer load.
first  4 5 6 7

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: