Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

4hv Migratory Junk Box

first  4 5 6 7
Move Thread LAN_403
Chris Russell
Thu Dec 24 2009, 05:48PM
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
If anyone can get in touch with Plasma Lover off-board, please do so. We haven't heard anything about the box for quite some time, and he is not reading his private messages.
GalliumMan
Sat Dec 26 2009, 12:58AM
GalliumMan Registered Member #2571 Joined: Sat Dec 26 2009, 12:02AM
Hi,

I know I've just joined but i have been following these threads for a couple of years now.
Would anyone mind me starting a new box over in the UK?
I've no problem it going intercontinental as well, but i thought it would be good to have two running at the same time. As the turn around of the single box can be a little slow, especially over here.
I'm quite willing to start it off with lots of goodies.

As an aside - I'd like to say thanks to Steve Conner, and Steve Ward for giving me the courage and inspiration to pursue coil building, your websites are inspirational - my wife does not thank you however! BIG ( over 6 foot high) Solid State coils using IGBT's are VERY hard to build for the first time - i'm sure it gets easier?

Merry Xmas,

Gordon.

Bjørn
Sat Dec 26 2009, 02:17AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
It sounds like a good idea to me, what about using the wiki to keep track of everything?

Conundrum
Sat Dec 26 2009, 10:11AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
hey, there are a few other uk members that might be interested as well as some non-members.

feel free to start a new thread with people interested in participating, add me to the list :)

mainly have stepper motors, drivers, laser bits, etc.
(anyone want a spare FPGA board?)

-A
Plasma Lover
Mon Jan 04 2010, 08:13PM
Plasma Lover Registered Member #1911 Joined: Mon Jan 05 2009, 06:30PM
4HV supporters, patrons and members,

The following was a response to the message sent to me recently by Chris Russell; I have been grounded from my phone and computer for the past three weeks, hence the delayed response.

"I had the Junk Box in my room with its boxes, its SCRs and a couple more things (static-proof baggies - with 'junk' - and the like). On my floor, in an old Folgers coffee can, I had all of the loose parts, such as the 1N4004s, the germanium diodes and the UCC2732(1/2)s. That kind of thing had been placed in the Folgers can to prevent it from being lost. Well, when my parents were upset with the state of my room, my dad took it into his own hands while I was away for the weekend. When I came home, my floor was clean. Everything with some purpose which he could see had ended up on my bed and would need to be sorted through (by me) when I got home. Everything with no purpose, in his mind, such as old plastic cups from baseball games (memorabilia), random high-voltage wire (both GTO-15 and flyback-style wire, of lengths totaling greater than fifteen feet), random hook-up wire and, to my dismay, the Folgers can. He even had thrown away my microwave oven capacitors, NST core (with intact primary winding), ferrite cores (including one which cost me $100; ask RP181...it was a behemoth) and my first secondary (which gave poor performance, but which had sentimental value).

I still have a few things, but my room has been cleaned out and I'm slowly re-accumulating parts. I'm trying to get as many things as I can to make up for the missing items, but it all cost too much... The capacitors, the diodes, all the ferrites (re-wrapped in tissue paper to prevent damage...a waste of time...). I don't know what to do, and I am the kind of person who fears confrontation. I simply didn't respond; I shied away and tried to pretend that nothing had happened. I hid the log book fro myself in my bookshelf and went to the post office and got a new flat-rate shipping box; inside, I put the cases, but they didn't even nearly fill the box up...

If you want to kick me, go ahead. If you want money, I have none. If you want a formal apology, though it would be embarrassing, I would be more than happy to oblige, and if you wanted for me to send everything I have that will fit and be of use, I would be happy to. Though, there's not much."

Chris advised that I post this here, though I am embarrassed to do so and, because of this, quite hesitant. However, I realize that I have accepted a responsibility, been given trust over a possession and betrayed that trust. It is now my duty to face the consequences and deal with the ill affects of my actions.

I apologize to all whom I have offended; I apologize to those whom I have been dishonest to and I apologize for my absence and lack of contact. I truly hope that we might find a way to correct this and that I may be able to return to the community and, once again, be a participating, contributing member.

- Christopher
Conundrum
Mon Jan 04 2010, 11:38PM
ouch, that sucks. surely he must have realised some of the stuff was important...
its hardly fair to blame Christopher for this, if anything its just bad timing.
best bet is to send it to the next person on the list with a note to index the contents.
Chalk this one down to experience, I know what its like to have stuff "tidied".

regards, -A
Plasma Lover
Tue Jan 05 2010, 04:43PM
Plasma Lover Registered Member #1911 Joined: Mon Jan 05 2009, 06:30PM
While it may be unfair to blame me 100%, it's also unfair to the following recipients for there to be fewer than expected included parts.

Surely, there must be something which I can do to make reparations in this regard.

- Christopher
Conundrum
Tue Jan 05 2010, 07:02PM
hmm... well i'd send it to the next recipient with the logbook and an explanatory note, and whatever spare parts you don't need. i sent in the uk junkbox such diverse items as a broken Minidisk player (has neat optics etc) so something along those lines could be useful.

to be fair I have a shedload (!) of stuff that i can't get rid of, too useful to throw away but takes up space. Mainly broken flat panels etc as well as another two MD recorders and numerous PS3 laser blocks etc (beam splitters/combiners, micro lenses, unbelievably small steppers etc) meant to include in junkbox but ran out of space. If you let me know who to send it to I can, with a note to add it to the junkbox when they receive it.

on a side note, does anyone here need any microstepping drivers? i meant to include some but forgot (again!)
the catch is that they need a double sided PCB which is awkward to make.

also have some press & peel and no laser printer. Any takers?

regards, -A
Chris Russell
Fri Jan 29 2010, 06:14PM
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
I've asked for the junk box to be returned to me, so we can attempt to revitalize the project. This thread will be locked for now, as the junk box won't be going anywhere until I can get some worthwhile junk back in it.
first  4 5 6 7

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: